Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play right now, Sorry! You can't play this content while connected to another device.

Solved!

Can't play right now, Sorry! You can't play this content while connected to another device.

Ok just came across an issue where spotify premium will not allow me to play local files I have syncd on my Amazon Echo Dot.

I get the above error message and my Echo dot is greyed out.

It will however play the same song fine on both my pc and smartphone.

So clearly it can sync up no after hitting the Download button no problem, but refuse's point blank to let me stream to my echo dot, which is the entire reason I upgraded to premium in the first place.

I will notify amazon of this as well, but could you please work together to get this fixed, I have no doubt it will affect other users upgrading to premium as well.

24 Replies

Even if you download the content to your local device, the wireless speakers are playing from Spotify servers. Thisis why the musci continues to play even if you leave, and you can still control it from another location, casue it is all network based traffic controlled by the Spotify servers. The wireless audio systems will never play directly from your device, PC phone or tablet, unless you have a direct connection i.e. wired or blutooth.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree that it is in fact what is happening.  What I don't understand is WHY does it have to be that way?   Why can't I stream downloaded (and local file) content point-to-point (e.g., iPhone to Bose Soundtouch in my case) within my own home network over wifi?  Why must the Spotify server get involved in this type of streaming?  It seems actually very inefficient and provides no apparent advantages    

The point is other users have reported that this used to work in the past.

And you can make it sound as complex as you like, if I can re-link my music as simply as connecting my phone to my speaker via bluetooth instead of using the spotify service.

Its clearly not rocket science.

Even something as simple as some online storage space for personal music files, which could then be linked to play on spotify would be a step up.

If your going to reply, please at least try to be constructive, Ive already made it clear the the option I and others would like is not currently supported by spotify and pretending you have any idea as to how good or bad such a service would work, is not doing you any favours.

I totally agree! This is horrible! All I want to do is play certain songs that I've uploaded that are not on Spotify. And I pay all this money to Spotify and they cannot do that simple task?

Marked as solution

Thanks for clearing it up with this bad news. But like you said can they please check unsolved for this issue. Because it has not been solved. All it does is let us know that we are paying a lot of money and can't even get a simple thing done.

Suggested posts