Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot open links in Spotify Web Player

Cannot open links in Spotify Web Player

When I click on an external Spotify link, the song opens in the desktop app. I unchecked "allow Spotify to be opened from the web", and it still opens in the desktop player. I have now UNINSTALLED the desktop player, and when clicking on a link, I am prompted to install the proper software. The web player is totally ignored, even though I have it up in a tab. I have the same results with Chrome and with Firefox. I need to be able to open links in the web player because I am using Chromecast.

4 Replies

It used to be possible to toggle in the web client whether Spotify opens those links on desktop or in web client.

However, for now it is necessary to have the desktop client installed to toggle this setting.
Alternatively it's possible to copy the link address and paste it to address bar. I have noticed that Spotify opens those links on a new web client card/window anyway.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply. I did toggle the setting in the desktop client several times before I uninstalled it. I even gave it time to "take". No luck.

Unfortunately, I'm using last.fm to play through Spotify. Copying and pasting the link does work for individual tracks, but not for playing a library. 

Thanks again for the input.

....Yeah I tried too now, and to my surprise it wants to open those links on the desktop client as well. Everything else opens on the web client.

Reading around, finding the second Solution on here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/How-do-I-force-Spotify-to-open-lin...
Sounds weird even for me, but maybe it works..? Would be cool.

I try and see if I could copy the links from last.fm play buttons...
Edit: I can extract spotify links out of play buttons by right-clicking on them and choosing 'copy link address'.
Enormously silly method, sorry. : (

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you, I'll try both of those methods. Appreciate it.

Suggested posts