Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast audio multiroom

Chromecast audio multiroom

Hi!

A couple of days ago google announced chromecast audio multiroom support. So went out and bought two devices.
Then I followed this guide on how to set it up. https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6328691?hl=en

Back in the spotify app (ios) there is a new "device" that is a CRA group called Home. When I try to use it it says "connecting..." forever and ever. Nothing happens. But I can play on each of the devices alone without a problem.

I downloaded the radio app TuneIn and tried the exact same thing and it worked without any problem.

Have anyone else experienced the same problem?

CRA-group.png
35 Replies

I'm using IOS via  Iphone  , also have Windows 10 on PC .. same issue on both .  Perhaps a way forward might be for me to contact Spotify and link to this thread ?

yeh it definitely doesn't work on the desktop app, unless your group is
already being used from a different device first, then it will show up on
the desktop version, its a clunky work around for sure.....

my old iphone 4 sometimes has the same issue, where it says connecting
forever, what i do is close the app, and launch googlecast, make sure
nothing is casting. then retry, when that doesn't work i also have to
initiate it from my iphone 6, which works with the group everytime, then
when i go back to my iphone 4 it will connect properly to the group.

Cheers 

I've again today contacted Spotify for a definitive answer and received this response

"Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

We're really sorry but it seems that there are different user experiences for this issue. We currently do not officially provide support on how to achieve it but you may always contact Chrome's support folks on the hardware version requirements, specific software version to achieve this. They may also provide you specific instructions on how to successfully do this. 

We're sure that they'll have the answer to do this.

Have a nice day,"  

I wrote in this Google product forum thread about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromecast/LzwHfjc...
It may be worth asking again there. But it's definitely a Spotify problem
more than a chromecast problem since other apps work.

I wrote in this Google product forum thread about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromecast/LzwHfjc...
It may be worth asking again there. But it's definitely a Spotify problem
more than a chromecast problem since other apps work.

Same issue remains after 6-months and iOS 10.

Casting to Google Cast speakers or Chromecast Audio dongles in multi-room group hangs just saying "connecting..." unless you restart the Spotify app each time. Cast to individual devices does however work.

This issue with multicast group have been confirmed by multiple people with Spotify in iOS 9 and iOS 10.

It's solved for me now, I haven't had any issues for several months.

@jswetzen, well I had the problem yesterday and had to restart the Spotify app on my iPhone (iOS 10) so no, it is not solved for everyone yet.

Spotify is still pretty **bleep** when it comes to Chromecast support, always is very glitchy and doesn't work, come on Spotify, its 2017....!! Hurry up and make this more supported and less glitchy

I'm right there with the troubled ones. I know it's not a chrome cast issue or a google home app issue, or even a badly made group. I can use any app BESIDES Spotify and everything pairs as it should and sounds amazing. (Currently using SoundCloud through my home group while typing this). As soon as I try and use Spotify and connect to my home group, it will only play my crave360 and not the new(ish)! early 2017 38" sound bar! Both are in the same "home group" which was created through the google home app. 

Hello,

i've excatlly the same problem with the Spotify iOS App. I have a Google group with one Chromecast Audio and one Philipps E6 Speaker. When I try to play music with that group the audio only works with the Chormcast Audio. The same configuration works like a charme with every other app (Soundcloud, Youtube, Chrome etc.) so it has to do be ab bug in the Sptify App.

Hey,

I have a group set up with one Chromecast Audio and one Cast-supported Philips soundbar. I can't run Spotify multiroom. Only Chromecast Audio-connected device plays, whereas Philips soundbar stays silent. That's the one-and-only-one app that doesn't drive multiroom feature on that set-up.

I've been waiting for Spotify solving that issue over a year now. Drives me nuts 🙂 

Spotify, would you be so nice and at least confirm somebody's working on that!?

Every issue I ever looked up in Spotify "Community", Spotify NEVER reponds or even attempts to act like they care. 

And the sad things, is these problems are basic functionality. 

Mine is working multi-room, but it's a little finicky at first. It's too bad Spotify can't debug this or at least provide a simple troubleshooting guide. They instead give conflicting answers on support.

Anyway, when I first set it up it was "connecting" forever. The trick seems to be selecting the chromecast group while music is playing through the device (phone) speakers. If at some point it is "connecting" for more than 5 seconds, choose your device for audio (your iPhone speakers), once you hear music on your phone then try selecting the group again.

It seems fine once you get it going, and for future sessions too it tends to work as you would expect, but any time it doesn't just do the above. If still not working, check the Google home app > Devices and stop casting, then try the above again. 

Same as above, mine works fine, just bought it and put it up today after reading this thread! It works a charm in two rooms now, but I also have to go from listening first on 'iphone' and then while music is playing go onto the device multiroom! Good luck people, worst case try it and return them if not working!

Isn't this what casting is?  You set whatever program you want to watch running on your device, then cast it to the chromecast.  Sure thats what happens when I use thinks like ITV hub, netflix etc....

Suggested posts