Chromecast audio multiroom

Chromecast audio multiroom

user-removed
Not applicable

Hi!

A couple of days ago google announced chromecast audio multiroom support. So went out and bought two devices.
Then I followed this guide on how to set it up. https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6328691?hl=en

Back in the spotify app (ios) there is a new "device" that is a CRA group called Home. When I try to use it it says "connecting..." forever and ever. Nothing happens. But I can play on each of the devices alone without a problem.

I downloaded the radio app TuneIn and tried the exact same thing and it worked without any problem.

Have anyone else experienced the same problem?

CRA-group.png
35 Replies

jswetzen
Regular
What device are you using? I have it working on iOS, but haven't tried
anything else.

vonpip
Regular

I'm using IOS via  Iphone  , also have Windows 10 on PC .. same issue on both .  Perhaps a way forward might be for me to contact Spotify and link to this thread ?

bsamsel
Regular
yeh it definitely doesn't work on the desktop app, unless your group is
already being used from a different device first, then it will show up on
the desktop version, its a clunky work around for sure.....

my old iphone 4 sometimes has the same issue, where it says connecting
forever, what i do is close the app, and launch googlecast, make sure
nothing is casting. then retry, when that doesn't work i also have to
initiate it from my iphone 6, which works with the group everytime, then
when i go back to my iphone 4 it will connect properly to the group.

vonpip
Regular

Cheers 

I've again today contacted Spotify for a definitive answer and received this response

"Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

We're really sorry but it seems that there are different user experiences for this issue. We currently do not officially provide support on how to achieve it but you may always contact Chrome's support folks on the hardware version requirements, specific software version to achieve this. They may also provide you specific instructions on how to successfully do this. 

We're sure that they'll have the answer to do this.

Have a nice day,"  

jswetzen
Regular
I wrote in this Google product forum thread about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromecast/LzwHfjc...
It may be worth asking again there. But it's definitely a Spotify problem
more than a chromecast problem since other apps work.

jswetzen
Regular
I wrote in this Google product forum thread about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromecast/LzwHfjc...
It may be worth asking again there. But it's definitely a Spotify problem
more than a chromecast problem since other apps work.

jswetzen
Regular
What device are you using? I have it working on iOS, but haven't tried
anything else.

Hetoft
Casual Listener

Same issue here. Come on Spotify, fix this!

The only manual workaround is to:

1) Start streaming to one of your Chromecasts

2) Go to Google Cast app and Stop the current cast

3) Go back to Spotify app

4) Now you should be able to connect to your group.

alpr
Regular

Hi,

same here.

- latest ios 9.3

- latest spotify version

- group of 2 chromecast audio

-> "Connecting ..."  forever when outputting to a chromecast audio group.

-> Works fine on a single chromecast audio

-> Works fine when restarting spotify app (sometimes quite slow though)

It's obvisoulsy a bug in spotify app since it can be resolved by restarting the app.

4 months since bug report seems a long time to resolve it ..

jswetzen
Regular
On my two chromecast audios it's intermittent, or rather it works once and then stops working. To get it going I have to fiddle with the chromecasts turning them off and on, waiting for varying times until I turn them on. Even then, I have no foolproof way to fix it. I have also written in a support thread at the chromecast forums, so there are more users having this issue.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/chromecast/LzwHfjcrqS4/ljvicRHCAAAJ

The really bad thing is that it only seems to be Spotify that gets it wrong, for example the Swedish public radio app, SR Play, works without a hitch every time. Surely you can do better than them?!

If anyone can have a look at this, then thanks!

ahelms
Still no update to Spotify app on IOS to fix issue? Having to kill app then restart to connect to different group is pretty inconvenient. No issues with Google Music or any other chromecast app. Might need to make the switch.

jonmaddox3

I just picked up 2 Chromecast Audios tonight and I'm having this same issue. It's super disapointing. I hope this is resolved somewhat soon or they're going back. I thought this might be the super setup, but the frustration that the Spotify iOS app provides when wanting to simply switch from the Kitchen to the whole downstairs (cast group), ruins the entire experience.

Having to force quit to make this work isn't acceptable. I hope you guys take a second and set up a cast group in the office and try to get this working for everyone soon.

user-removed
Not applicable
I got it to work the other day. Unfortunately I cant tell what happen, havnt changed anything in my setup. It just started working.

njpackard
Regular

The issue occurs for me after I cast to group from my iPone and I decide to cast to a new group, it won't connect. I have to restart Spotify to get it to connect to  group again. 

Saelen77
I have 4 chromecast audio connected to 4 different speakers. No prob to make a group and connect to the group with 4 speakers. But everytime I skip to next song or play from another playlist, spotify freeze and everything stops working. Google play music works perfect.
SUGGESTED POSTS