Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast not showing in Spotify App

Solved!

Chromecast not showing in Spotify App

I have 5 Chromecast Audios in hour home, connected to speakers (kitchen, outside, basement, etc). Within Google Cast all are shown, and it mentions I can open Spotify App to go 'casting'. It has been working since I installed the Chromecasts. It works on my wifes mobile (Samsung S6), and on my kids (Iphones of course). I have a Samsung S7, and as said, it has worked for months. And suddenly it has stoppen; when I open the Spotify App, it does not show that there are 'devices nearby' which normally let me choose between the different rooms. And again, it is working for my wife and kids. I have tried installing Spotify again on my phone, I have turned down the WiFi routers (but I am absolutely on the same netwerk). Any ideas; I'm getting crazy ! Why is this suddenly not working anymore ? We are on a family plan, btw. Thanks ! Robert-Jan

132 Replies

While I am glad you got your situation worked out, that is not the problem for [at least] the majority of us here. Other apps are able to see the Chromecast Audio devices just fine--this issue is on Spotify's app.

Just wanted to clarify that before people became too hopefull.

I did something similar which I assume resolved the issue. I used Google Home to mirror my phone on the TV and played the Spotify for a while. When I disabled mirroring, Spotify app showed my Chromecast Ulta.

However, this is annoying. I hope it is resolved. It took me whole a lot of time to resolve the issue and I am not sure if this work again or not. With so many user, I expect Spotify take proper actions.

Suddenly, everything works again. It's magic! There was no update from Spotify, as far as I can tell from Google Play. I don't know if the Chromecast software (I'm on the preview channel) was updated. But it works again, so rejoice!

Same here. Yay!

And with 'everything works again' I mean 'it's still hit and miss whether or not Spotify shows my Chromecast audio in the devices list, but atleast it shows up most of the times, instead of never'. Just to be concise. 

Thanks, it worked for me!

This is definitely still a live issue for the Spotify Android app. While intermittent, it blocks users from streaming Spotify on Chromecast devices, as users have no reliable way of telling Spotify to "check again" for available Spotify Connect devices on the network. It appears that the tricks users have resorted to involve opening a "fresh" Spotify (in desktop Chrome or in a new mobile device) that doesn't yet have a Spotify Connect list, and once that device rebuilds the list of available devices it publishes that to Spotify Connect for the devices on the account.

However, that approach is not a reliable fix, because any new device on the network could build and cache the same incorrect list, leaving users stuck without visible Chromecast devices. My guess is that Spotify needs to more aggressively check for changes to the available devices, rather than trusting a cache, or give users the ability to invalidate the cache when they notice it's incorrect.

It's really frustrating. All of a sudden nine of my chromecast are showing. Did everything, installed, stopped the service, restarted the phone. Nothing seems to work I can't see anything and I have 2 chromecast video and 2 audio.

Meanwhile other apps like black player is showing all.

Shame on me that I payed for this s app.

sometimes it works, then spotify on my Samsung S8 just does not see the chromcast device at all. However Google Home shows the device as available for casting.

I am not sure what to do next. When it works it is just glorious. Getting the glory back is just a long pain in the **bleep**, following internet suggestions that lead nowhere and taking an hour or so here and there to try to show that the investment was worthwhile.

It just does not work with any reliability.  Often when it does work, over time the Spotify ap on my phone inexplicably loses the ability to control the chromecast volume. Then it loses contact all contact with Chromecast device which if not rebooted continues to play from the last Spotify thread passed to it.

Try opening the Google Home app, then close it. Go back to Spotify and you should see Chromecast there. That's what worked for me.

No. It doesn't work either

Try mirroring your screen from the Home app first before you close it.

Did that and nothing happened. Meanwhile other apps cast perfectly. Spotify
needs to fix this app code!

**bleep** this actually worked :^) thanks!

Mostly harmless

Shame on you Spotify. First post is over one and a half year ago. The thread is tagged as solved. This is simply a lie.

The suggested solution is not even a workaround. It is an ugly possibility to cheat the chromecast TEMPORARILY to the app. So, the solution should be to turn on the webapp every time before I want to hear music?

Go back 3 pages here and you will find at least 5 people who still have this long-time-bug.

And I do not want to start talking about this site:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Devices-don-t-appear-using-Audio-Cast-and-Chromecast...

"[...]We've heard back from the tech team, and it looks like this has been fixed in the latest version of Spotify.[...]"

"[...]Feel free to reach out in a new thread if the issue persists![...]"

Ehm, what???

Thousands of users pay money every month to have working services like chromecast. 

Bugs are normal, but hey... one and a half year? With a solution that is realy no solution?

Do something...

WOW, how often does this issue keep coming back to haunt us. Chromecase Audio is meant to be the superior alternative to Bluetooth connectivity but when it lets you down it is sooooo annoying. 

Again no chromecast devices show in my Spotify "Connect to a Device" list but I can connect to Chromecast Audio in other apps and can see it on the network. 

I have reset everything and still no connection.

Yup, the problem is also suddenly back here again. It's since yesterday afternoon. No chromecast devices in spotify, whereas they are visible (I have an audio and video version) in any other app that supports chromecast. That's very sad, because it makes Spotify unusable in my home (unless I also start using a laptop with chromecast support, but it's 2018, not 1997 or something).

#metoo

I've been having random problems with Spotify not recognizing Chromecast that is in the same wifi-network with my phones and tablets for the last year. Usually it has began working after resetting either the Chromecast, the phone's/tablet's wifi or rebooting the whole device. Also usually if one of my devices hasn't been able to use Chromecast then some other one has been working, and after I got the Spotify app rolling on CC with one of my devices then the rest of the devices found it too. Now it seems to be worsened so that none of my devices can find it any more, and it doesn't help to reboot the devices or the Chromecast. I've tried all the hints from earlier posts, but nothing helps.

Same issue here. Just bought 2 Chromecast Audo. One of them dissapears sometimes. Plus the "group" i have made, with both of them in it, dissapears in Spotify. Android 8.1 on a Google Pixel

I am facing the same issue. Hopefully they will fix it definetely.

If I could just downgrade the Spotify app...

Suggested posts