Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Compatible MP3 Players

Solved!

Compatible MP3 Players

Hello all! I just saw an ad on Spotify today, advertising the Roku app. I was very happy to hear that Spotify is on Roku. I'm now giving premium a second look. If I'm to be paying for premium, I'm going to want to be able to carry my favorite playlists with me (in addition to listening on the Roku at home). I'm aware that my old Sansa Fuze won't work with Spotify so I'm looking for what will. I thought this would be easy to find, but all roads appear to lead straight to http://www.spotify.com/mobile/overview/. It would appear that since Spotify did a site redesign, the page no longer exists. So I'm asking here (hoping this is the right board):

Where can I find a list of MP3 players that work with Spotify?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify's supported Platforms are Windows, Mac, Linux (Preview), iOS (iPhone and iPod touch), Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and Symbian. 

Generic mp3 players aren't supported, it needs to be an internet connected device with the ability to run a Spotify application. The only non-phone device I know of is an iPod Touch, but there might be android alternatives if you have a shop around. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi there.

Thank for your question.

There's no option to transfer songs from Spotify as mp3. So most mp3 players not support Spotify.

There's option, most of high-end mp3 players are running now on Android and this way you can install Spotify. Usually storage is limited on these, so better option is just Android phone where you can easily hold 32 GB memody card for your tremendous Spotify collection being Offlined. I would suggest a phone around 150 €, it will not lack to run apps at same time.

For example LG Leon about 129 € will run Spotify. If you want durable glass, LG Spirit about 149 € have Gorilla 3 glass. I use Spirit for my music streaming and it is my main phone.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

50 Replies

No one? Okay, perhaps an easier question - does anyone know of any non-Apple devices in the neighborhood of...say...$50-80 that work with Spotify? I'm just looking for a new MP3 player that'll work with Spotify. I'd prefer to stay away from Apple devices as they're rather pricey and Apple often doesn't work well with non-Apple products (I'm a Linux/Windows/Android user).

Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify's supported Platforms are Windows, Mac, Linux (Preview), iOS (iPhone and iPod touch), Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and Symbian. 

Generic mp3 players aren't supported, it needs to be an internet connected device with the ability to run a Spotify application. The only non-phone device I know of is an iPod Touch, but there might be android alternatives if you have a shop around. 

Peter

Peter

Hey, thanks for the answer! I was afraid that might be the case. I'm surprised that as long as Spotify has been around, something hasn't been worked out. I don't want to pay a few hundred dollars to use Spotify on the go. It'd be cheaper to go back to buying music and using my cheap little Sansa Fuze. I'll look around and see if there are any cheap android devices or more...creative solutions (maybe some long-range wireless headphones or something - that could at least work 90% of the time).

Thanks again! That was very helpful.

Good morning i have spotifuggle premium and the reason i got it was so i could play  the music on my mp3 player  and it said on the premium sign that you can take your music with you that is misleading if i can't do that

@jeansmusic wrote:

Good morning i have spotifuggle premium and the reason i got it was so i could play  the music on my mp3 player  and it said on the premium sign that you can take your music with you that is misleading if i can't do that

You can take your music with you, but unfortunately it does require a supported mobile application. 

Peter

Peter

I am plugged into a RCA jack on my laptop and can hear the music from my speakers just the speakers from my laptop can you fix this for me and will rejoin with you soon. Doug

@Dougrichey41 wrote:

I am plugged into a RCA jack on my laptop and can hear the music from my speakers just the speakers from my laptop can you fix this for me and will rejoin with you soon. Doug

What are you outputting to @Dougrichey41 ?

Peter

I just got a premium package and am just sad to see that I can't download songs to my Sony Walkman. I guess I should just cancel my subscription or is it possible that there may be a fix soon? I tell everyone about Spotify and truly love it....but, don't have an iPod and frankly..if I can download from iTunes, why can't you get a fix? Thanks!

@heidigoodsite wrote:

I just got a premium package and am just sad to see that I can't download songs to my Sony Walkman. I guess I should just cancel my subscription or is it possible that there may be a fix soon? I tell everyone about Spotify and truly love it....but, don't have an iPod and frankly..if I can download from iTunes, why can't you get a fix? Thanks!

I can't see it changing in the near future, since the whole Spotify system relies on content being played through a Spotify app.

Peter

I think Rhapsody will support your fuze

So, if you don't want to pay the outrageous cost of data download ever time you want to hear a tune, the only way to hear music away from home is to buy an album (or borrow it from a friend)?

The "sneaky" way that I do it is I got the premuim account so that I could save my downloaded lists for offline use. Then I turn off my data (unless connected to WIFI) and listen to it that way. It's not the best solution, however it's something I've had to adapt to because they aren't able to work anything that doesn't have internet esstientally.

Nah you can save it for offline use.

My wiko highway's audio jack died after a year, have to struggle with it non stop. I'd like a dedicated device so i won't **bleep**up my cell every year or so.

As a response to the initial poster, there's a little mark on every song so you can save it locally after you've downloaded it, so you can connect your cellphone to just about any set of speakers by just using a 2$ aux cable.

To the person having issues with playing spotify from his laptop speakers/headset:
-rightclick on the amplifier icon in your windows taskbar, select playback devices.
-Pick the right output in the list & rightclick again
-Pick set as default

if this doesn't want to work (i've got 5 output devices connected to my pc's) Disable the rest (don't forget to show disabled devices though).

Your audiojack is limited due to international laws considering 'safe decibel' levels, USB, bluetooth etc don't have these safeties built in (my headset/logitech Z600 connected to earphone jack won't go loud enough, so i put em on bluetooth)

If you're still having these issues, feel free to contact me by email, I'm willing to prt scrn a solution if you want. Rik.vercruyssen@gmail.com

Kind regards,

de Rik

Spotify, get your own cheapo Mp3 player please. It's easily outsourced and it will sell, just spend some time on it.

Thanks for bleeping the rather profane words out spotify, makes it faster for me to comment.

Keep in mind language barriers though, kunt (k u n t) in my native language is dutch for can. I hardly use the C word online (actually i never used it, not in a way to insult people actually 🙂

De Rik

And yes, I'm using premium. It's cheaper the Itunes, cheaper then buying any album for one song, and more efficient then torrenting full albums etc. I can use the browse to look for new songs i might like, and i've got free choice and don't have to hear 'bout commercials and other wastes of MY time (keep it that way spotify, and stick to your current price, it's just good. I can understand increased costs due to more employees etc, i can not tollerate some jackas who just wants some more cash for his over the top lifestyle. I only got 'bout 800€'s a month, and I won't be alone at the subject. But as soon as the price gets too high, i'll be gone and I'll make sure the same minded people will follow. But I'm willing to spend my time making a step by step little piracy guide for the whole world, IF really necessary

kind regards

De Rik

Hey,

some Philips and Sony MP3 and MP4 Players are running on Android and are WiFi capable.

You can just install the spotify app from the play store.

windows phone are the cheapest option ive seen.

Droid Minis are now $50 on eBay. With a Premium account, that should allow the use of Spotify offline and be a cheap alternative to even an MP3 player. Strip of all the non-essential apps, put on the most economical power settings and the battery life should be decent as well.

I have just upgraded to Premium. My intent was to play music on my HiDef Fiio player, but I can't see a way to transfer music from Spotify to it, leaving me with low quality sound from my laptop.

It's entirely possible as a Spotify nube I just haven't spotted how to do this. Is there a way to do so?

Suggested posts