Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Complete Sonos Integration...... please?

Solved!

Complete Sonos Integration...... please?

Sonos was the main reason I signed up for a premium plan and I love the service.

But it's killing me that I can't use all of the Spotify features through Sonos.  Who is holding this up?  Sonos or Spotify?

I really want Radio, app support, a better layout or the site, etc....

Any chance any of these will occur?

219 Replies

From my point of view, and as far as changing the speakers can be expensive, it's better to change the music supplier. The experience is as bad as the spotify one, but at least they answer their clients, and probably they will support  a kind of  D-ZER connect in the future.

PLEASE MR Spotify, connect your app with sonos or I'll need to change of supplier.... or at least, SAY SOMETHING!!!!

I agree !

I'm Out!!!

Still nothing from Spotify, hence subscription cancelled, Napster just got a new client.

Still think the spotify system seems better but it's obvious that Spotify are not prepared to listern to clients concerns, and since using Sonos was my main reason for using this type of service then clearly the don't want my subscription.

Very poor customer services

I am appalled at the arrogance of Spotify who continue to fail to respond to this thread, or address these issues; yet still advertise Spotify in conjunction with Sonos.

Appalling customer service & marketing - companies like this deserve to fail, and one day may well do so.

It seems silly that I can't just open spotify and tell it to play on my sonos speaker system.  Ever heard of AirPlay?  Why can't the sonos speaker be used just like that?  Maybe I bought the wrong speaker system but Sonos was the only one that showed "support for spotify".  I just assumed (wrongly) that I'd fire up the spotify app and tell it to play on my connected Sonos speaker.  NOT!

I'm bummed it doesn't work that way and I've had many connection issues with the Sonos app and spotify.  Given those problems, this was the wrong way to implement this solution.  Connecting a speaker system to a online music service???  What?  Doesn't that defeat most of the power the music service adds (like searching for music, finding other's playlists, etc)?

Thanks guys for making a ho-hum user experience instead of something that would have ROCKED!

I just assumed (wrongly) that I'd fire up the spotify app and tell it to play on my connected Sonos speaker. 

Sounds like you need Spotify Connect, but unfortunately Sonos aren't a Connect partner. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

€450 speaker system vs €10 per month services, it's obvious which Sonos owners will choose when faced with incompatibility. Few companies can afford to turn customers away like that, in particular in a fickle market such as online music subscription. Netflix is a good example of how it should be done, like mcds principle, you get the same experience anytime anywhere. Spotify probably won't dictate which music system you buy, people know it may be gone tomorrow depending on current trends, see below, but a speaker system is an investment and users will pick a service to optimise their output from it. Wireless streaming speakers is undoubtedly the way of the future, what are expensive systems now will cheapen and become common place, it is a fantastic opportunity for Spotify to spread wide at the bottom and rise with the tide. It is definitely the best current music service available in my opinion, but I'm not willing to pay subscription for a semi supported good music service on a top quality sound system. I'll give my money to deezer or napster or whoever are willing to pay ball with all their customers, and not just those they see as their key demographic, let them take the ball and run with it and hopefully develop a more accessible service. The king is dead, long live the king.

Me too - telling us to go out and buy some new 'spotify connect' enabled equipment instead is total madness and sure to lead users to choose another more considerate music streaming service. I for one am soon to cancel my subscription and switch to deezer. I'll be back if you can sort this out,

All I want is to play spotify with all of its features, especially radio, with my new Sonos play-1. Apparently this is impossible. From what I have read, I have to buy a Play-5 ($400), plus an airport express ($40) to do this... This speaker system just went from $200-->$640 for it to do what I want. Very disappointed that Sonos and/or Spotify can not figure something so simple out. Sonos, drop this app that does nothing but make your "valued customers" take extra, tedious, steps to listen to music. I want to play my music from my actual itunes library as well as my spotify app, not through your app...  Airplay for all speakers please!! You have a lot of disappointed customers that are returning your speakers, I am one of them.

It's amazing that I started this thread almost two years ago and the feature set has still not been implemented.

Both companies are missing out on an opportunity to collaborate and improve on the services for their customers.

Two years of premium subscription and I'd argue I've had to use an inferior product when I use Spotify on the Sonos client.

I bet you it's because Spotify want to keep such features exclusively for Spotify Connect devices so choose not to provide the ability to Sonos whose approach is Sonos centric rather than Spotift centric (using Spotify Connect).

I moved to Napster near a year ago and haven't looked back.

"Customer centred" companies like Spotify that provide forum boards for the benefit of customers then constantly ignore (the responses don't have to be positive) questions just come across as arrogant..

Except this issue is how many years older than Spotify Connect?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

And you think they just dreamt up Spotify Connect last week... And didn't have a road map with their own plans of what they wanted to create perhaps years ago?

There's obviously something stopping Spotify producing the means for Sonos to provide a more complete experience and it certainly won't be technology.

And........ we now have the competition I have been waiting for.

Google Play & Sonos

Spotify...

I wanted the features I had on your app in Sonos.  Hasn't happened.

I was super interested to see where you would take the social aspect of your service.  Hasn't really evolved.

Was hoping for some "market" integration so I could buy tracks I liked.  This one was a stretch, but I think you are missing opportunities here.

And now Google makes Sonos better.

I guess I'll start my free trial and see it compares.  Disappointing.

Finally, Google has integrated its app with Sonos. Is disappointing to have to change  of music supplier for a silly thing like that one, but I'm not going to change my sound system, and it's easy to cancel the Spotify premium subcription and get the Google PLay One (With three free months included!).

When you fully integrate Spotify with Sonos, I'll come back. I hope to see you soon.

I've been using Google Play for a couple of days now.

Initial conclusion - it's better than Spotify.

However the upgrade to the Sonos Contoller seems to have caused problems - Tunein Radio, which was 100% reliable now "stutters" sometimes, and it appears that you can only upload 500 tracks at a time to Google Pay -when I leave uploads running overnight (free bandwidth) it stalls at about 500 tracks, at about 03:30 a.m. BST.

NJSS

Does Google play allow you to access via multiple device and download for offline listerning like Napster?

Google Play does allow access from multiple devices - I am currently doing so from my Sonos & also from a Smasung Galaxy Note 3 + an older Motorola Xoom Tablet.

I have been playing my own music so have I have yet to download anything & can't comment.

I have to agree with all of the above.

I currently opened up a forum on the Sonos website to get Your Music added to the Sonos app so that our music collections could be played without any issues.

It is a real shame that Google Music has come in and seems to have wiped the floor clean from Spotify.

What I don't understand is that Spotify and Sonos are meant to have a 'close working relationship' with each other yet they don't seem to update their app to comply with new features that are launched.

The Sonos app is only just getting a much needed refresh from having been stale for years and even at this it's a very slow approach and wont allow the new features that Spotify has.

If anyone wants to take a look at the forum and perhaps voice their opinions then maybe we could at least get one party to acknowledge that things need done and we would like an answer.

I have been a Spotify subscriber for years and have promoted them heavily for years.  Slowly starting to think Google is the way forward if I can use Sonos with no issues using them instead.

Forum: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/your_music_feature_on_spotify

I feel like since Sonos wasn't on-board with Spotify Connect that soured the relationship a little bit.  I really do wish that Sonos would make Spotify Connect an option if people wanted - I see it no different than the "cast" option they are providing for Google Music.

Suggested posts