Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Other] Desktop client clean and improved!

Solved!

[Desktop][Other] Desktop client clean and improved!

Hey Rorey and the ''team'', i have a suggestion for you! Since you want to make the client ''cleaner'' and make ''improvements'' (Like notifications and lyrics gone) i suggest you do the following:

1-remove the play button

2-remove playlists

3-Remove the album artwork

4-Remove the volume control

5-Remove the music

Voila!

The client will be so ''clean'' and ''improved'', right?

L M A O

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It sometimes seems like they're on the way there 😃

It's a bit sad, I used to be curious about the changes when a new client update was installed, to see whether there was anything new and nice. Now, every time there's an update, I'm concerned whether another feature that I liked has been removed.

Here is a little list I made of client features that I used a lot, and which have been removed in the time since I've been a Premium member:

• Favourites/Starred tracks
  • Search on artist pages
  • Global playlist search
  • Aggregate playlist folder view
  • Playlist update markers
  • List of followers
  • Sharing with non-Facebook friends
  • Setting custom cache location
  • Limiting cache size
  • Desktop client apps
  • Copying track titles to clipboard
  • Adjustable column widths
  • New release notifications
  • Playlist update notifications
  • Private messaging
  • Lyrics

I can really start seeing other people's point that all together, these should almost warrant a reduction in the subscription fee, because the options offered to users are not at all what they used to be when I signed up.

Edit (2016-12-14): Updated the list with more recently removed features.
Edit (2017-03-16): Updated to reflect that messaging is gone. Volume control, skip track button, and playlists next, guys! =D

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

It sometimes seems like they're on the way there 😃

It's a bit sad, I used to be curious about the changes when a new client update was installed, to see whether there was anything new and nice. Now, every time there's an update, I'm concerned whether another feature that I liked has been removed.

Here is a little list I made of client features that I used a lot, and which have been removed in the time since I've been a Premium member:

• Favourites/Starred tracks
  • Search on artist pages
  • Global playlist search
  • Aggregate playlist folder view
  • Playlist update markers
  • List of followers
  • Sharing with non-Facebook friends
  • Setting custom cache location
  • Limiting cache size
  • Desktop client apps
  • Copying track titles to clipboard
  • Adjustable column widths
  • New release notifications
  • Playlist update notifications
  • Private messaging
  • Lyrics

I can really start seeing other people's point that all together, these should almost warrant a reduction in the subscription fee, because the options offered to users are not at all what they used to be when I signed up.

Edit (2016-12-14): Updated the list with more recently removed features.
Edit (2017-03-16): Updated to reflect that messaging is gone. Volume control, skip track button, and playlists next, guys! =D

I love dat idea 😄 i follow 1000% !!

Hehe. And then they can make all music playback based on one of their holy algorithms that knows better than the user.

1. Open Spotify

2. Wait for algorithm based music selection to start playing

3. Convince yourself "this music is really good, it has been selected especially for me by the allmighty algorithm"

They are one step away from this.  Any designer (or project manager) with a modicum of design 101 understanding knows that form follows function; the masses don't always use an application most efficiently; and trends should be considered shaky grounds to inform design.  So by relying on algorithms (incomplete information), trends (such as 'clean', 'simple', (aka: dumbed-down) interfaces) to inform design will lead to oversimplified, less functional software.  *mic drop*

I love that you've revived a 5 year old thread! Funny to read what I posted back then.
I actually think that Spotify has gone in the right direction this year. What baffles me is that they actually brought back chronological notifications for new releases from every artist you follow, although unfortunately only in the mobile apps. So no more algorithm radar to find new releases. What blows my mind is that they actually reduced algorithm usage, in a world where developers have altars for their algorithms. And we actually got back a chronological new releases feed. Chronology! Something that 99% of todays developers despise.
And the desktop app finally gave us the option to sort our playlists alphabetically, at least under "your library".

Wow...I was really frustrated when I wrote this.

It looks like they removed these features so they can add a bunch like podcasts (next will be movies...just watch).  Watch them expand to a media company...like amazon from books to everything...Spotify from music to...?

Suggested posts