Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disconnect from Facebook but KEEP my old playlists?

Disconnect from Facebook but KEEP my old playlists?

Plan

Premium

Country USA

I originally signed up via facebook and would like to transfer to my personal email and not rely on my facebook login. I realize I need to cancel my current subscription and create a new one under the email, but what about my playlists and stations? I want to keep all of that, and I would think starting a new account would mean I am starting from scratch. 

Anyone have a solution to this issue? It will not let me change my email or dissassociate with facebook otherwise. Pretty annoying.

5 Replies

Hey @aspain, help's here. 

If you've created your account through Facebook,  and don't want to use your Facebook login anymore, this means you have to create a new account. There is a workaround where you might be able to transfer your playlists, but your listening history will be reset, and therefore you have to build up your Discover Weekly and recommendations again. 

If you want to continue with that, this is what you should do:

1. Cancel your current subscription.
  2. Create a new account.
  3. Transfer your playlists.
  4. Upgrade the new account to Premium.

We hope that helps, and let us know if there's anything else.

Thanks Jemi. I'm also concerned about payment if I cancel my facebook-linked account, and sign up under a new account. Will I essentially be paying twice for the same month if I do this (once under the old account, once under the new account)? 

Hey there @aspain,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In this case, it might be best to follow the steps here to cancel your current subscription, then wait until your account reverts to Free.

Once your account has reverted to Free, you can sign up for a new account here, and follow the steps below to have your awesome music catalogue over to your new account: 

1. Make sure all your playlists in your old account are set to Public. You can also make a playlist called Your Music and copy all your saved songs there.
  2. Once you've confirmed all your playlists are public, log out of your old account.
  3. For the next steps, we'd recommend using a desktop device: Log in to your new account and search for your old account's profile. You can do so by typing spotify:user:username in the search bar (you need to replace username with your old account's username).
  4. Once you've located your old account's profile page, head to the tab Public Playlists. All your playlists should be displayed there.
  5. Click on a playlist.
  6. Once you've opened that playlist, select all the songs contained in it.
  7. Right click the selected songs and click Add to Playlist > New Playlist.  This step will create a new playlist to your new account containing the same songs. You can name the playlist the same name it had on the old account if you wish, or give it a different one.
  8. Repeat for all your playlists.

Once all your music is successfully on your new account, you can follow the steps here to close your old account.

Then, you can upgrade your new account to Premium and even update your email to the one your closed account was previously registered with.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I followed the steps you linked to fully close my account, which led to a chat with another representative, and he said he was able to disconnect facebook behind the scenes, allow me to keep my old account, and now log in with an email rather than facebook. Why was this not suggested all along? This was a very frustrating process to go through, only to be told I could have kept my original account all along. 

Hey @aspain.

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is two ways of doing this. The easier way will result in you having a randomized number as a displayed username. You can also do it through a new account, that way you can choose any username you'd like.

We're happy to hear it got resolved though. If you have further questions. Please let us know.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts