Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Needs Improving!

Discover Needs Improving!

This is more of a complaint, really, but it could help to improve the function called "Discover." Currently, the suggestions based of listening history borders on absurd. Most often there is almost no correlation between the two pieces of music in terms of style and period.

Nearly all my listening is classical, and I'm guessing the programming to determine these choices is sorely lacking for this genre. This REALLY needs improving! I would further suppose that the typically inconsistent listing of the separate items of composer, composition, and performer is a detriment here. This should be fixed in itself.

Lastly, every kind of classical composition is called a "song" when most pieces in classical are not songs.

3 Replies

Hello!

Moved your idea over here since as you said yourself it's more feedback than a feature request.

Spotify is always trying to improve their features, also discover, so hopefully it will be more to your liking soon. 😉

Topic stays open for discussion of course, feel free to add more details or examples.

Spotify recommendations all use collaborative filtering which in very simple terms looks at what else users, who listened to a particular track, listened to. While this is probably fine for popular music, it's likely that the classical genre sample sizes are considerably smaller and further confused by listeners who don't necessarily listen to one sub-genre.

This is probably why you are seeing what you consider to be irrelevant results. They were testing a "like/dislike" system in Discover for some users and it would be great if this was released to everyone as it would go some way to give us control over what we see on Discover.

Yes Discover could be improved, 

Spotify is recommending the same records and artists repeatedly, so the Discovery feature is of little use to me.

Even records that I have plaid on Spotify are recommended for me to Discover.  Not so exciting.

Spotify Discover could supposedly be improved quite a bit by not recommending again the artists that a user has already listened to. 

Spotify keeps a list of all tracks I have listened to so this should be possible to implement.

Suggested posts