Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover suggestions feedback

Discover suggestions feedback

In the last few days the 'Discover' suggestions changed from being based on my listening to generic 'best seller' stuff I have no interest in.  If I listen to Bonobo or DJ Cam or Boards of Canada, why does it suggest Simon & Garfunkel, Foo Fighters and Notorious BIG?

**subject edited to fit all posts in thread

52 Replies

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the Spotify forums.

I've been paying for Spotify for a couple of years I think and one of the best features is the Discover feature. Sadly it doesn't seem to exist on the iPad app so when I want to discover new music I have to go onto my laptop. I didn't mind so much when it got put in the "Browse" section, but I am annoyed at the fact that it has now been completely removed from the Browse section. I am left with Overview (which consists of themed playlists or pushed artists, today's example being Slipknot), Top Lists, which are about as useful as a hole in the head, Genres and Moods, also unwanted, New Releases, News and Highlights. Where is Discover/Recommendations?! This is extremely disappointing and I am surprised that Spotify would remove such a popular and useful tool.

What happened to "You listened to X, you might like Y" from discover. now its just a load of tiled music split into genres. Discover was great, but now its impersonal.

Hi, I'm having the same problem as Plambey. The discover-function now shows music tips in categories, but I can't see on which music I listened this category is based. Also, for example, it now shows a catagory "Dutch music", and yes, I listen to some dutch bands, but that doesn't mean I love all dutch music! The catagory thing is really unpersonal. 

I saw this new style of the discoverpage already in the Desktop Beta app, and I was really happy it didn't make it to the official version, but now it does! Too bad, the discoverpage is one of the best features of Spotify, please adjust it so we can see on which music the music tips are based! Also, please skip the catagories, it's not working. 

Check out my blog about a cheap way to build yourself a dedicated Spotify Connect Server.
http://dedicatedspotifyserver.wordpress.com/

Ok, today there was an update for the Spotify Desktop app (v09.15.21), and now the old discoverpage is back! Thanx Spotify!

Check out my blog about a cheap way to build yourself a dedicated Spotify Connect Server.

hey, are you on Mac or PC? I I'm on mac with 9.15.21.g6d2e65aa and I still have the tiled look

Hi Plambey, I'm on PC. It's strange, because the Spotify Beta and the webplayer both have the category-look. But I hope they will also change back...

The Discover section used to update organically in response to what I was listening to. Now it seems stuck, even if my listening habits have not changed. As it used to be, if I listened German horror metal, a sprinkle of similar artists (that is, similar if you are a computer algorithm) would be added to the suggestions; if I then listened to the quiet girl with the soft voice and gentle piano, I would get some of that. If I then listened to some harsh, Mexican aggro-tech, the Discover section would start looking interesting, indeed.

Not so anymore

Over the last months, the recommendations have become more and more narrow, to the point where I will not bother listening to any of the suggestions offered. Some I have been ignoring for a while - because an option to mark something as not interesting, please take it away and bury it under a parking lot, is not available. It must be a Netflix patent - others I recognise as simply not interesting.

And then there is the "trending near you" suggestions, which I can only assume is meant as a reminder that what went wrong in the music industry is still a work in progress, and a lot of resources are going into its' further decline.

The single best feature in all of Spotify has, to all intents and purposes, been broken, and apparently they have done so deliberately. And I would like to know what they changed, and what they hoped to achieve by it.

I am confident that the techies and developers will respond to this with something similar to "you're holding it wrong" or "it looks fine to me, now leave me alone", but at least I got to moan a bit.

Did the Discover page change? I'm seeing different recommendations for different artists I'm into (screenshot attached)

If this is indeed new, major kudos to Spotify for doing this.

Before, the Discover page felt like a bit of a mess and the algorithm was way too fickle. I like the structure here; I can decide on a recommendation based on what sort of mood I'm in. Well done.

spotifyscreenshot.jpg

Yeah I really dig the new Discover. If only it was working today.

Discover Broken

I registered to comment solely to voice my opinion on the new Discover feature, and I am not a fan.

I have used the old Discover feature to find counteless artists I never would have found on my own and I loved it.

The new version, which only lists possible likes based on 10 or so artists I have previously listened to, is not helping me find new music like the old version did, and I am not happy with it.

At least let us select the artists we want to to find 'similar artists' for. I had a poker night with my buddies and made a playlist of some classic rock that would be more up their alley then what i listen to now and the Discover feature is trying to show me similar artist to Neil Young and The Grateful Dead. i love them both, but these are not the recommendations I am looking for, and I dont know how to get rid of them. 

My vote would be for going back to the old version or giving us an option to choose the way the Discover tool functions.

My problems with the previous Discover was not so much the format of presentation as one of it being stuck in a corner, not providing new suggestions. I actually like the current, more organised layout; whenever there is a row of suggestions based on an artist that I find to be the exception in a genre of sh*ite music, I can just gingerly skip it. Not to mention not having to deal with recommendations based on what the general populous in my area is listening to, or music that is 'trending'. Just thinking about those is damaging my calm.

I a now back to discovering new stuff.

Still, I agree that there should be an option to remove recommendations, or in some other way add a measure of control or direction to what's being recommended.

-nm-

Spotify suggests to all the people in Mexico f***ing "reggaeton" and "banda", which is a DISGRACE to music in general. No one likes that sh*t but Spotify keeps suggesting that to us. Spotify should improve their music suggestions based in the liked songs of their customers. I HATE banda and F reggaeton and it pops up all the time!!!!!!!! Google Play Music has a better way to suggest music, you should copy it #Spotify!!!!!!

Untitled.png

Suggested posts