Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover suggestions feedback

Discover suggestions feedback

In the last few days the 'Discover' suggestions changed from being based on my listening to generic 'best seller' stuff I have no interest in.  If I listen to Bonobo or DJ Cam or Boards of Canada, why does it suggest Simon & Garfunkel, Foo Fighters and Notorious BIG?

**subject edited to fit all posts in thread

52 Replies

Yes I fully agree, I played my stared tracks for 8 hours non stop before opening discovery again. I do have trending but it's way down in my discovery so I have plenty to "discover" before I get to trending. I must say that trending is of no use to me at all. I am listening to music that was recorded 60 years ago in America. Rock n rol, Rockabilly, true R&B and the big bands NOT the current charts.

Hey @andreitarkovsky  and welcome to the community!

Someone just requested this in our idea section. Have a look at the following link and leave your comments/kudos over there to support the idea: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Bring-back-the-Discover-page-s-functionality/idi-p/957...

I am totally bummed about this. Spotify has always recommended great songs, albums, and artists based on what I like and listen to. It knows my musical tastes better than any of my friends.

Just this morning I went to "discover" some great music and found Spotify recommending me unheard of artists like Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, 50 Cent, Rascal Flatts and the like. (Sorry for the sarcasm.) Really?

They really need to bring back their personalized recommendation engine. For one thing Discover is now totally redundant. Its all the same Top 40 stuff that is already in Top lists.

This also makes me wonder if they are going to also stop sending me the emails with recommendations... I love those too and I always open them and listen to something in them.

Please, please, please tell me this a glitch and not a permanent "feaure".

My Discover page has begun re-populating itself with recommendations based on what I've listened to; maybe the loss of recommendations was due to some sort of "adjustment" period on the Spotify servers?

It's weird, having a look mine was fine yesterday but is a little off again today - seems a bit temperamental!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

When I raised the issue of discover being off the response I got back from Spotify was "changes" not a bug. To be honest, since they acquired Echonest I think they are playing about with the recommendation engines.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah because it is a bug they don't want to admit/fix.

Discover is completely broken, why does it take users to report this ? Spotify developers can see this too (unless spotify actually did this intentionally and try to keep us stupid). Fix it asap.

I took the issue to the @spotify twitter help account like recommended here.

First I was asked to de- and reinstall (which I did without success) and now I got a PM going "Our tech folks are currently looking into this. Hopefully they'll have some good news soon"....

Let's wait and see. Bug or "feature"? Spotify doesn't seem to know. 

Hey, I just want to clear up some confusion here. There are two questions about Discover this week in the Community:

1. Users getting a lot of 'trending' stories in Discover. Please post below to let us know if you're still getting mostly trending topics in Discover. 

2. Users seeing 'Highlights' instead of 'Discover'--that second thread is the one for them. We're always testing by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. If you have any feedback around this please post in this thread.

Again, please let us know if you're still getting mostly trending topics so we can pass that on to the right teams. Thanks everyone!

1 - yes, still exists, still not fixed, over a month now.

But then we were told it was not a bug but a feature! so you close the topic and it was changed into an idea...so why do we need to keep reporting this issue ? It is such a great "idea" right ?

2 - testing is fine, has to be done, but for the record: have you seen any positive feedback about removing discover and replacing it by highlights ? crickets.... spotify is breaking their service, not making it better, not even for 1% of your users.

It is frustrating that spotify never responds directly and only comes back with some vague statements. I used to like spotify a lot and discover was one of the major elements that made it great for me. 

You must understand that people will vote with their wallets - but now that you (spotify) has grown so much that you can handle some losses should not imply that you can become arrogant. Please respect your users, currently this love is not felt.

Ok, the trending issue may be a bug or something...although it's quite hard to understand how a bug that replaces user-specified recommendations with format-radio-bs should look like, but anyhow..

But the Discover section made steps in this direction even before when the possibility to vote suggestions up or down was removed. Since then, I did see more "trending" stuff and had no choice about it (although it was not nearly as bad as now). Funny, that this is the same direction somehow, isnt't it?

So please bring back "Discover" and make it as customisable as possible. Nobody needs to "discover" 50Cent or Katy Perry.

Ok is it just me or is Discover just taking yesterdays suggestions giving them a slight shuffle and presenting them again every day? It may be that it doesnt expect people like me to route through it everyday but does it now only have a think once a month?

not just you, same here, just the same stuff over and over with crap-"trending" stuff on the bottom. 

Ok, if you are bored of the 'same old **ite' like me, then try the lazify app.

I haven't seen my suggestions change in at least a week. And they aren't really that good either. Jeeze, I listened to one Merle Haggard song and now all the recommendations are for country. Totally lost the depth and variety that used to be there.

I was really happy when they brought Discover back, but I'm feeling disappointed all over again.

Hey @bakman do you mind posting a screenshot of your Discover page with the "trending" and "popular in your area" topics? I can then show that to the right folks here. 

I haven't seen anything like "Trending" appear in the Discover tab, which is a good sign, but what are the chances of bringing back the hold to preview feature? It worked every now and then on the desktop app, but I was able to get it working perfectly on mobile, so no idea why it was removed...

I've kudos'd the idea in the Ideas section, but I'm feeling that's not enough to bring back a feature that worked perfectly fine and wasn't removed or even replaced with anything.

I see seven rows of four recommended albums based on "You listened to", that makes 28 albums which depend on my recently listened artists, so they are mainly correct. Afterwards the "Popular in your area" or "Popular on Spotify right now" and "Trending near you" stuff begins which doesn't interest me a bit, so I would like to be able to simply dismiss them somehow, e.g. with a switch in the Preferences or on the Discover page. Or simply use my choices in the Top Lists tab which are "Artists" and "Albums" "for me", not "everywhere" or "in Germany".

Suggested posts