Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fix Chromecast Audio connection issues (volume, song controls)

Fix Chromecast Audio connection issues (volume, song controls)

Hey! I have the same or similar issues as mentioned in this closed Ongoing issues thread. This already happened to me in 2017 (or maybe also before, can’t remember the dates exactly), but then I reported it here and after a while it seemed to have been fixed.

However, a few weeks later (so still 2016/17) it played up again and I was too lazy to try and report it again. Since I’m getting slightly frustrated now and I’ve heard from everyone I know with a Chromecast Audio and Spotify that they have the same issues, I wanted to try again.

The issues:

1. The app regularly loses connection, rendering you unable to change the volume. This is sometimes remedied by force closing the app, but sometimes you need to do that several times.
  2. The app also loses connection in the way it renders you unable to change songs or press play/pause. I feel like this happens after the volume connectivity is lost, but I can’t be certain.
  3. (Perhaps a separate issue:) The app sometimes doesn’t see the Chromecast Audio at all. This can sometimes be remedied by pressing the Chromecast button in the shortcut settings menu in the top drawer, but sometimes the app needs to be force closed (several times).

I still have no clue when these issues occur exactly (is it after X time? Is it when your phone is locked X times? Is it when a bird flies past the window? No idea), even though it happens several times every day.

Solutions that didn’t work

Common remedies like reinstalling the app (including cache wipes and the like) or using your test account didn’t help. It happens on different devices (including, but most likely not limited to a Nexus 6P, Nokia 8, Samsung S7, iPhone 6s) on different versions of Android/iOS, the Spotify app and the Chromecast software, but naturally using WiFi since you can’t easily cast without being connected to the same network (although I’m not sure if perhaps my friends did try it using 3/4G, too). The solution mentioned in this thread of turning off battery optimisation apparently also doesn’t consistently solve the issue.

4 Replies

No replies on a year old problem? This is ridiculous 

Spotify has been flaky on Chromecast Audio for years. Every so often I sign up for a premium account, only to confirm that nothing has changed, then quit and go back to Google Play Music.

Not only Google Play Music, but also TuneIn Radio, Pocket Casts, and a bunch of other apps all play nice with the Chromecast Audio, so I'm not sure why Spotify isn't able to make it work. 

They seem to have fix it for the major part since last update... Well done after years of waiting

They seem to have fix it for the major part since last update... Well done after years of waiting

Suggested posts