Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Free Spotify Radio on Sonos?

Free Spotify Radio on Sonos?

Since Spotify Radio is available on iOS with free Spotify Account, I would think/hope I would also be able to listen to Spotify on my Sonos system (as I'm able to do with other online streamers).  Are there any plans to offer this ability?

54 Replies

+1

Pandora does the job for now, but I'd rather use Spotify like I do on my phone.

+1 I want it too

Just bought a SONOS having been told I could use it to listen to everything I could stream on my phone, but in great quality. Now really disappointed and angry that the systems are all set up to control how I listen and what I listen to. The Spotify service already uses my free listening to advertise stuff, so why not on SONOS?

I recently bought a Sonos 5, only to find I can't use Spotify free. First, I feel I've wasted my money, and second neither Sonos nor Spotify make this clear until you do the install, by which time it's too late. The sooner Spotify and Sonos allow the free version on Sonos, the better.

Totally agree!

+1 Pls. allow the use of Sonos to non-premium Spotify accounts. Having buyer's remorse now.

I do not even use my Sonos anymore due to the fact that you need premium subscriptions for anything to work on Sonos now.  i would not reccomend Sonos to anyone now.

I have returned my SONOS to the shop, got my money back and bought a
Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100. It has far better sound, a range of connection
options and I now listen to Spotify and any other free music either via
Bluetooth or mini jack. Minx Air also streams from iTunes. Problem solved!
Bye bye SONOS! I am getting sick of apps and products which want to
communicate with you and send you constant "updates" and sell you upgrades.
Cambridge Audio leaves you alone and lets you enjoy the music!

I was going to buy a Cambridge due to its functionality, but took what hifi's review that Sonos had better sound as a clincher 😕

Like you, I just bought a Sonos play1 and realised I can't use it on spotify without paying for the premium package!

I'll just use another music service. Spotify make enough advertising so can't se why we should pay. I'll close my account

Yeah. None of them are free though, deezer etc... Unless u live in the USA and you can get Pandora

When I first bought my sonos you could. All of the music streaming services had a free portion to it that you could use with Sonos. There was the odd ad but now you need premium subscriptions. Bluetooth speaker are the way to go. The Sonos app just controls what and how you listen to music.

Having excitedly just prurchased my first Sonos element, of a complete house refurb, I was saddened to find the although Spotify is available on Sonos, it won't provide the free service. It's not that I'm mean. I'm retired and on a budget and am happy to listen to the adds, often of bands and gigs and related misice stuff, so I feel I'm doing my bit by listening. However, sadly, I'm now having to rethink the new sounds installation stragegy and will be returning my new Sonos, as it won't do as was stated, play Spotify as I listen to it at present.

Hey simonmunn48

One thing I can say is don't be so quick. I know I started this way back
when and maybe someday they will listen. Sonos is not totaly to blame and
you will definitely be missing out on some excellent sound. You may want
to look into something newish Spotify is offering a family plan. It runs
for $14.99 I think. They say all the members under the plan have to be in
the same house but that is not true. You get premium service and what I
did was split it with 5 friends so it's $3.00 a month. Each member gets
their own sub account and can create their own pl, stations, follows, etc.
The best part that I thought was so cool is with my Sonos I can now add
their accounts and have quadrupled my Spotify/Sonos experience. Plus when
one of them is over we can switch to their account if we want to pull up
some new track or artist they found. So again I still agree that it stinks
that the free Spotify does not work I really cannot stress that you look at
the big picture...SONOS ROCK!!!
Djaykrs

Bye bye Spotify. If I can't listen to you on Sonos you aren't worth anything to me. I'll stick with Google play.Pandora and iheart. I only tried Spotify for a playlist someone recommended .I'll stop back to see if you've come to your senses. I'm not thinking you will. This post started in 2014. It's now 2018. 

Suggested posts