Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Getting ads on Web Player for Unlimited plan

Solved!

Getting ads on Web Player for Unlimited plan

On the Spotify website /web player, a mix of my own playlist does not work and now there are ads between the songs, I pay for the service, I do not want ads.

< moderator edit >

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for all of your reports.

We're moving this thread back to our Help Boards.

We’re always testing things in order to improve. We've heard from the right teams, and can confirm that this is now expected behaviour. Please keep in mind that the Unlimited tier offered an ads-free experience on the desktop client.
We'll make sure to pass on your thoughts, and you can also submit any feedback on this in our Ideas Exchange too.

Cheers!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

43 Replies

Hey @annamaria4,

Glad to have you on the Community. No worries, we're here to help! 

If you're seeing ads while you're paying from Premium, could you check out this page and go through the steps? 🙂 

Thanks! Let us know how you get on.

no use

I have paid for an Unlimited subscription (monthly, via PayPal Direct Debit) for years and have never had any issues until now.  Sadly I have also began to experience the same problem of ads (Xbox games) now appearing on the Spotify Web player 

when listening to Spotify on my PC at work.  This work PC is locked down so I am unable to install the Spotify Desktop App (which appears to be the solution suggested previously in the past).  I moved from the free version of Spotify years ago and started paying for Spotify because I didn't want to listen to the Ads on the free version.  I refuse to pay for Premium as I don't listen on my mobile phone and £9.99 a month is £2 dearer than Netflix for just audio! 😕

Hello Emily,

I am still paying for it.

Never had an email or anything to inform me about changes. I am happy with this plan as I have no need for the extras.

Hey there @annamaria4,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

So we can look closer, could you send us a screenshot of an example of an add you mention? Please make sure it doesn't include any personal/sensitive information 🙂

Further, you mention this happening to a mix of your own playlist. Just to clarify, does this occur in a playlist created by you while on shuffle, or in a Daily Mix? If this isn't happening in a Daily Mix, try creating a new playlist with the same songs to see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes!

KaterinaModerator

Hi Katerina,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Most recently I simply did a search for 'Exit Planet Dust' by The Chemical Brothers.  I listened to the first track (Leave home) and then instead of immediately playing the seccond track on the album I instead got an advert for some Xbox games. 

This album is added in my 'Library' but it is not a custom playlist.

The next time it happens I shall grab a screenshot and post here, thanks.

playlist created by my while on shuffle. 

the ads have come up with a paid service this week and this is a very nasty one, considering already quitting the Spotify subscription. This should work without ads on a web player

Hey there @Mulgie,

Thanks for posting!

You can our Web Player support article here.

Please keep in mind that some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) restrict access to certain services. You can contact those responsible for managing the network (for example your IT department) for more information.

Hope this helps! 

KaterinaModerator

Hi Katerina,

The link you've sent merely points to generic help and I can see nothing about 'Ads being played for paying subscribers' under the 'Troubleshooting' section there.

As I say the Web Player has been working fine for years.  The audio hasn't been blocked so your suggestion of contacting my IT department makes absolutely no sense all.  How could my company network administrator be inserting Xbox advertisements into my Spotify audio playlists?

The fault lies with Spotify and this is backed up by other people (like Annamaria above) also seem to be experiencing the same problem so this is not a rare or isolated incident.

Hey again @Mulgie and @annamaria4,

Just to confirm, are you both on an Unlimited plan?

Further, would you mind letting us know the version of your web browser you're currently using so we can look into things?

We'll be keeping an eye on your replies 🙂

/K

KaterinaModerator

Yes

Chrome

Hey, I have an unlimited account and have started hearing ads. I have checked my card payments and they have still going through. I've looked on the troubleshooting page and doesn't seem to be much on the topic, any clues?? Chris

Plan

Unlimited

Country

UK

Device

Webplayer

Operating System

Windows 10

I've also started getting this in the web player and its infuriating.

I'm paying my **bleep** subscription, why do I keep getting adds in the (PC) web browser Spotify?!?!?

Hi Katerina,

I am indeed on an Unlimited subscription (as mentioned above) and am using Google Chrome, Version **bleep**.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Many thanks.

(that's version sixty-nine but your forum software keeps **bleeping** it out, is that because it's deemed rude!? :-D)

Hi,
Same thing also for me. I'm having "Unlimited" subscribtion. Lately I'm also having ads between playback in web player (noticed this 26-09-2018). I've also checked my account (Unlimited) and receipts, and my subscription is still active, as it should. Has anything changed in Spotify's policy for Unlimited users?

Hey again @Mulgie and @annamaria4,

Thanks for clarifying this.

If you're both using the same version of Chrome, let's try some additional troubleshooting steps first:

• Try in an incognito or private window in your Chrome browser. If it does help, make sure to clear the cache and cookies memory of your browser. You can find more instructions on how to do so depending on your browser.
  • Try a different internet connection (eg if you're using WiFi at work, check if the same happens in your home WiFi or on a 3G/4G network). 
  • Try a different browser.

If possible, it'd be helpful if you could include a screenshot of an ad. Just make sure it doesn't contain any sensitive/personal info.

We'll be keeping an eye on your reply.

KaterinaModerator

what would this supposed to help? streaming songs on your playlist or ads between songs? you can not be serious. What role does this have? and I really can not get a different wifi / network at work! I have a fixed wired network. Are you even technically skilled?

Just had an Uber Eats ad mid-album but wasn't quick enough to grab a screenshot of that.  However, IMEEDIATELY following that advert was this second advert for 'Solo' the Star Wars movie!?

As you can see I am logged in OK so DEFINITELY something wrong at Spotify Towers! 😕

Ads_2_Solo_Movie.PNG

Suggested posts