Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

Nexus 5

Operating System

Android 6.1

My Question or Issue

Spotify will not connect to Chromecast. My phone will cast to Chromecast no problem but when choosing the cast icon in the Spotify app it will not work. I select the Chromecast device then the message comes on the phone that it is "connecting" but nothing happens. "Connecting" does not go away and there is no error message. I have tried clearing cache and data and reinstalling Spotify but this problem persists. As I say casting from Google Home or any other apps on the phone work fine. It's just Spotify which is broken. It used to work. It must be a bug in a recent update.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Google ChromeCast not working from Spotify

Lancelink
Regular
Hi Petersheep,
If you are experiencing the discrete problem of albums or I guess playlists
not casting then first try removing them and searching for them again and
saving. I did that and an album which wouldn't cast now does. Good luck!
Solution!

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This seems to be different to the original issue which was posted about. 

With this in mind, we've created a new Ongoing Issue thread where we're gathering info from users.

Make sure to head here and leave the requested info. We'll then be able to pass it on to the tech team who will take a closer look.

Thanks! 

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

66 Replies

Aimee_T
Roadie

Hey @fresh-ear. Welcome to our Spotify Community!

We'd recommend making sure that all devices are on the same WiFi network. Also, your Spotify app should be up-to-date.

Just to check, have you give it a go using another device instead of your phone? If not, the best option would be to try it.

Let us know how it goes :) Take care.

fresh-ear
Roadie

Yes, all devices are on the same network. And Spotify apps are fully up to date.

Spotify has stopped working with Chromecast on all devices. Chromecast works fine with everything except Spotify. I have re-installed Spotify. Even done a factory reset on my phone and then re-installed Spotify. And  I have completely re-set-up Chromecast too from scratch. And done a complete power cycle on all network devices.

It has just stopped working. When I choose chromecast device I get "connecting" on my phone and the Spotify logo on the chromecast screen, but that's where it stops.

This is ONLY Spotify. Everything else works on Chromecast. (EXCEPT also the Spotify desktop app (windows) which doesn't list the chromecast under devices available. All other apps, video players, etc, find the chromecast device no problem)

So Spotify, and ONLY Spotify, is COMPLETELY BROKEN with Chromecast. And this has only happened recently, it used to work fine and I have made no changes on my network, the only thing that has changed are Spotify updates.

mueggi
Casual Listener

Same here

fresh-ear
Roadie

Out of the millions of Spotify users it appears to be only me and Mueggi who have this problem? Bizarre.

Hey @fresh-ear and @mueggi,

Could you ask a friend or family member that also uses Spotify to try to stream using your Chromecast? Find out if they are able to play music. That way we can find out if this is perhaps account related.

Let us know what the result is. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

PatrickHN
Casual Listener

I’ve been having this problem for a long time. One day, Spotify just stopped working with Google Cast Groups. It acts like it’s going to connect, I’ll even here the connect sounds on some devices, and then it just fails to connect. Google Play works fine with the same groups and individual Google Cast devices. This problem is exclusive to Spotify. Casting to Google Cast devices and groups is a long neglected feature that Spotify needs to work with Google to fix or just stop adverstising it as a feature.

fresh-ear
Roadie

Hi Guido, same problem for any other users in the household

mueggi
Casual Listener

In my case, it's not all the time it's not working, but it's very unreliable. So for example when I try to connect to the chromecast with spotify and nothing works, it still works with different chromecast supported apps. A couple of hours later, it might work again with spotify. The behaviour is very odd and I hope you guys can fix that, because the chromecast integration is very important to me and I have to think about changing to a different service, if it's not getting better...

Hey folks!

Just to confirm, are you all on the latest version of the Chromecast app as well? If not, make sure to upgrade.

If that doesn't help, could you give us more details, for example, the version of the Spotify app you have on your devices?

We'll be keeping an eye on your replies :)

KaterinaModerator
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
SUGGESTED POSTS