Google ChromeCast not working from Spotify

Solved!

Re: Google ChromeCast not working from Spotify

mummybot
Regular

I've been having this issue on and off for months. I think it is due to how Spotify creates it's connections to determine concurrent listeners to an account. They have their own bespoke casting infrastructure, which enables you to "cast" (play music) on any other Spotify connected device. This allows them to centralise streaming and easily support so many platforms, but it appears to cause issues with the good old Chromecast streaming. Too many links in the chain me thinks.

lazpete
Casual Listener

Same issue here. Got two Audio's, three video, gen 1,2 and 3, all is fine with every cast app, except spotify. On Android 9.1. Everything is updated. Also note that the spotify app on my macbook pro does not see the chromecasts any more. Please fix this.

dead_wrestler
Casual Listener

I have been having issues recently exactly as reported by the OP. Casting from other apps on my phone works fine. I used to have no problems casting from the Spotify app, but recently whenever I try it says 'connecting' for a little while, then gives up. I've tried restarting Spotify, my phone, and the Chromecast. I've tried clearing the Spotify cache. Everything is up to date - my phone is set up to auto-update apps. Very unusual. I am not sure what to try next in terms of troubleshooting.

Pixel 3

Android 10 security patch Oct 5 2019

Spotify 8.5.30.579

lazpete
Casual Listener
Got help from Spotify cares on Twitter, some corruption going on at account level. Fixed it.

mummybot
Regular

I have a temporary fix for myself on this, which may be of help to others:

1. On a computer on the same network, login to Spotify using Chrome web browser: https://open.spotify.com/
  2.  Click "Connect to a device" button. As it is Chrome it has the ability to cast to a Chromecast device.
  3. Choose your Chromecast from the Chrome dialog box. Spotify hopefully plays on your Chromecast.
  4. On your Android phone open Spotify and you should now see the currently playing track. You can now control the Chromecast from your Android phone.

This lasted about a week for me, where I was able to connect my Android Spotify to the Chromecast, before having to perform it again. Something is obviously up with the way Spotify on Android maintains it's connection.

Snowcoyote
Casual Listener

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it out getting mixed results. My phone did pick it up, but seems to think there is another copy, while the computer still can't see everything. See pics. Very weird they are seeing different things.

Spotify Capture.JPG
Screenshot_20191107-101518_Spotify.jpg

mummybot
Regular
That is hilarious! (and frustrating for you). I only have the one Chromecast at home, which might simplify things. Have you tried turning one of them off and seeing if the computer then finds it and the Android device registers it correctly?

Lancelink
Regular

Hi, 

I have been having the same issue. However, being a little unfamiliar with all the options in Spotify I hadn't tried the following. Whether saved or downloaded, try 'liking' the album/song then seeing if it will cast successfully. I just tried a saved album that wouldn't cast. After liking all songs it now casts. Hope it works for you! 

mikew_nt
Regular

Spotify has never provided decent support for Chromecast, I've had both for several years now.

I'm on a Pixel 2XL, fully updated.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify, which has helped in the past, but not now.

The symptom is I can pick a song, select to cast to Devices Available, I'll get the connect tone on Chromecast, it will never fully connect, and then go back to showing Devices Available.  This happens on all of my Chromecast devices.

Similarly, I can find a song that WILL properly Chromecast, but then when I go to a different album and press on a song to change to that, the song will not select, and the current song will continue playing.

About 50% of the songs I try will not Chromecast to any of my Chromecast enabled devices.

I don't know what else to try from here, but it makes Spotify virtually worthless in my house, esp when I'm trying to cast to a multi-speaker group to have music through the house.

Help?

Lancelink
Regular
Hi, have you tried 'liking' the song/album, and then connecting? It works
for me through my Android phone. Good luck!

##- Please type your reply above this line -
SUGGESTED POSTS