Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Solved!

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Hi, I just recently got a Google Home and I can't seem to get a consistent stream when playing spotify through the device. Spotify works flawlessly when I play through a device on the same network. Is there a way I can change the streaming bitrate for Google Home in order to get a smooth playback?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Last update from me. After taking to Twitter, Spotify support advised to try a re-link of my account again using the Google Home App. This appears to have now fixed the issue. While I had done this previously, it is possible they resolved an underlying issue that the re-link will fix. 

If you haven't done this in the last few hours and are still experiencing the issue, perhaps give it a try.

Open your Google Home App > Devices > Google Home > Music > Un-link

then ...

Link to Spotify > Enter credentials > Done > Test.

Good luck everyone; I hope this is the last we see of this issue.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Just did this via music tab on main menu, seems to have worked, hadn’t buffered for 2 songs and it was doing it every 20-30 seconds Will see how it goes. Thanks heaps for the post! 

Marked as solution

Resolved by unlinking and relinking Spotify within the Google home app's music section.

Annoying.

Marked as solution

Had same problem, went to devices in google home app and stopped notifications for all android devices connected to same WiFi and somehow this has fixed the music pausing problem. Also stops people connected to same wifi getting an annoying notification that someone has connected a device. Maybe on certain phones that get the notification, the feature could be interfering with the Spotify stream? I dunno but now I'm 4 songs in and no pausing! Good luck guys, hope it works for you too

122 Replies

I'm having the same issue here in my Google Home Mini. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's having this problem.

We started getting this on our Google Home since yesterday. Am in Australia. Changed streaming quality to "Normal" on Spotify app but don't know if that sets it for Google Home too. Pausing is still happening just as frequently.

Same here. In Australia and since yesterday any music I play just keeps cutting in/out every 10s or so.

1. Rebooted router
  2. Rebooted Home
  3. Checked Wifi speed

Nothing helps.

In Australia too. It used to work fine but got the same problem this morning. Songs keep stopping like it's buffering when playing on Home Mini. Works fine on phone/laptop so I think it's not a wifi problem.

Any idea how to fix this?

Having same issue, noticed it today, have been away.  Very disappointing concidering I just added 2 minis and an cast audio to my setup for the fact it was working so well the last week or so!

rebooted router still no luck

In Australia too, getting the same problem - intermittent dropouts from Spotify on google Home - both my wife and myself (on separate accounts for google and Spotify).

In Australia too and getting the same issue...
Streams perfectlyon same network from another non google device.

Thje google Home streams non spotify audio fine, just affects spotify streams..

Factory reset Google home, no change..

hmmmmm very frustrating..

+1 Yes, same issue here since yesterday. Have tried all of the above strategies as well but to no avail. Hey Google and Spotify - any idea what is going on with this integration??...

I am in the UK and notice it happening today. Raised it with google reset everything still a problem

I'm near Perth Australia and this has also started happening yesterday. Glad I'm not the only one but frustrated obviously.

Hopefully it will get fixed very soon.

Happening to me in Australia too - on Google Home and Chromecast. Extremely frustrating

+1 to being in Australia and having the same issue. Hopefully gets sorted soon

I'm having the same problem in Sydney Australia spotify keeps dropping out every 10 seconds only just started to happen have reset everything and still not fixed the issue 

hope someone from Spotify / google can fix this obvious it's happen to lots of users so must be something from there end 

+1 in Australia also. Rebooted Google Home Mini, reset WIFI, rebooted router.  Started happening in the last week.

Someone here posted this issue in the Google Forums and so far they are asking us to report this issue through Google Home to gather more info.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlehome/6RLM2uVfuF4;context-place=forum/googlehome

I already did this and hopefully they can fix this soon!

Australia here (QLD). Same issue. Since yesterday. I have done all the same troubleshooting as already mentioned. Only happening on google home. 

Same thing here (Victoria). Tried everything that has been mentioned previously with no improvement. Spotify streams perfectly to all other speakers and phones in the house so must be google home related. 

In Australia too and having the same issue. Only started recently and now I can’t play Spotify on the Home without it stopping to buffer every few seconds. Very annoying

Suggested posts