Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Solved!

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Hi, I just recently got a Google Home and I can't seem to get a consistent stream when playing spotify through the device. Spotify works flawlessly when I play through a device on the same network. Is there a way I can change the streaming bitrate for Google Home in order to get a smooth playback?

122 Replies

Yeah same here even my crome cast has been having the same problem with Spotify keep stopping was happing about 3 days again and it stoped like once a song noe every ten seconds can this be fix it’s annoying as and I just wanna listening to music aye 

Me too.

After several months of flawless casting to a multi-device Google Home setup, Spotify now continually drops out.

It might take a minute or two, but then every 30 seconds or so, Spotify drops out for 10 seconds. Like its buffering or something.

Other services (eg; Soundcloud) stream flawlessly for hours.

I've restarted all of the devices (turning them on one-by-one).

The only thing that's changed recently is I swapped my old iPhone 6 for a new Pixel 2.

Im also in Australia.

Exactly the same as other posters have described. Spotify via Google Mini was working flawlessly. Suddenly ongoing skipping. Nothing has changed in my setup.

I've tried rebooting and clearing caches of apps/phone/WiFi/mini. No change. 

Spotify works flawlessly via all other devices suggesting issue is with mini. I wonder if recent mini update has caused this? 

I cannot seem to change the music quality level in the android Spotify app? 

Any other ideas? 

Same issue here, located in Adelaide, Australia. My Google Home works perfectly fine with everything else but when playing Spotify (I’m on the free plan) the music suddenly cuts off (as if buffering/loading) and then plays back again a few seconds later, and this cycle happens quite often. I’ve noticed it since yesterday 😞 Have since submitted feedback through my Google Home, maybe it’s a bug?

I honestly thought my Google Home was faulty at first but I’m relieved that there’s others experiencing the same thing, hopefully this is resolved soon..

I'll add that other music services are working fine such as sound cloud. So there is something going on between Spotify and Google Home. 

I’m having the same issue in Bowral south of Sydney. 

According to the link someone posted earlier they are aware now of the issue affecting Australia and are working to solve it. 

25A7E3CF-75C1-4A97-A539-5FF0C95EF890.png

Spotify worked faultlessly via google home til yesterday.  Now music stops restarts and stops continually.  I see this is a common issue...

Just adding my +1, in Melbourne, Australia. Has been working fine, I noticed the problem yesterday - constant droputs. 

I will head over to the Google product forums to monitor further, but glad I'm not the only one having this issue, I thought it was my setup somehow. 

We have the same issue.  Sydney, Australia.

This is the primary thing we use the speaker for!

Yep, same issue here. I though just letting it play for a while would fix it but no, keeps buffering.

In Australia too, same stopping every 10-15 seconds to buffer then starts. Very annoying, I guess it is a Spotify problems as radio via tunein works perfectly over the same network and same device.

Same issue here, Melbourne/iiNet - Chromecast Audio

No problem at my other premises with Telstra Cable.

Same issue here. I'm with Internode ISP so not isolated to Telstra and iiNet. Tried lots of things including buying a new router as I updated the firmware on the old one prior to this issue. Since finding out others have been having the same problem around the same time I will stop pointing to me as the fault (slowly bending finger towards Google/Spotify)

*Update for everyone.

I have cross-checked with Google Support and they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

They also reccomended that any of us experiencing the issue should do the following to help raise awareness and priority.

"Please do file a feedback on your Google Home device by saying "Hey Google, submit feedback." then say that you're experiencing this issue and it will directly submitted to our team."

Referencehttp://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https%3A%2F%2Fproductforums.google.com%2Fforum%2F%23!topic%2Fgoogle...

I've been doing something similar. Whener the streaming problem happens, I go "Hey Google, What's wrong with you?" Or "Hey Google, What's your problem?"

It then asks for details about the problem and I say "Streaming keeps stopping" or "Streaming is always pausing and stopping."

The more people who send back feedback to their system directly, the better.

Marked as solution

Last update from me. After taking to Twitter, Spotify support advised to try a re-link of my account again using the Google Home App. This appears to have now fixed the issue. While I had done this previously, it is possible they resolved an underlying issue that the re-link will fix. 

If you haven't done this in the last few hours and are still experiencing the issue, perhaps give it a try.

Open your Google Home App > Devices > Google Home > Music > Un-link

then ...

Link to Spotify > Enter credentials > Done > Test.

Good luck everyone; I hope this is the last we see of this issue.

Marked as solution

Just did this via music tab on main menu, seems to have worked, hadn’t buffered for 2 songs and it was doing it every 20-30 seconds Will see how it goes. Thanks heaps for the post! 

Mine is still buffering even after linking it off and on again especially in the afternoon & evenings but when I play it during morning it's fine. (I'm in SEA region btw)

Marked as solution

Resolved by unlinking and relinking Spotify within the Google home app's music section.

Annoying.

Suggested posts