Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Solved!

Google home keeps stopping to buffer

Hi, I just recently got a Google Home and I can't seem to get a consistent stream when playing spotify through the device. Spotify works flawlessly when I play through a device on the same network. Is there a way I can change the streaming bitrate for Google Home in order to get a smooth playback?

122 Replies

Same problem. After the first day of using google home mini with smoth playing, since then music keeps being cut for 3-7 seconds every 8 seconds. Reset router. Reset and reset-up google home mini, unlinked and relinked spotify. Still the same. Spotify smooth on all other devices except when played on google home mini. Same experience with chromecast audio. Worked smoothly only on first day after setup. 

Marked as solution

Had same problem, went to devices in google home app and stopped notifications for all android devices connected to same WiFi and somehow this has fixed the music pausing problem. Also stops people connected to same wifi getting an annoying notification that someone has connected a device. Maybe on certain phones that get the notification, the feature could be interfering with the Spotify stream? I dunno but now I'm 4 songs in and no pausing! Good luck guys, hope it works for you too

I also thought something was wrong with my google home mini, but I have 2 of them and also 2 chromecast audios and all have the same problem WITH SPOTIFY ONLY. No problem when casting/streaming from soundcloud, deezer and tunein. So i guess it’s not the google gadgets themselves only at fault but spotify or there’s an issue BETWEEN spotify and google. Hope this gets fixed as I really prefer spotify over other services. Hate to have to move to another service.

This thread is already flagged solved but it still isn't.

Nothing works. Reset. Unlink and re-setup. Still the same. It's so frustrating. I have 3 google home 1 audio cast and 2 google mini. All the same. Had to play spotify on my bose speakers and it plays smoothly. Any updates on this. I just ordered more Google minis. This is just unbelievably frustrating and irritating.

So I tested out the solution, it seems to have worked for me. It was one of the first things i tried but relinking the account this time seemed to do the trick.

Unlink spotify from google home and relinking worked for me.

I have tried rebooting Google Home and unlinking my Spotify but still music is pausing every 5 seconds.  

Same problem here in Sydney, Australia. Very annoying. Everyone experiencing should submit it to Google.

Same issue here, Spotify thru Google Mini / Play more time off than playing music. 
I've tried:
Rebooting 2 Google Home devives
Rebooting wifi modem
Unlinking / Relinking spotify account.

After a reboot or relink, Spotify still drops out every couple of seconds of playing, with pauses lasting up to a minute.

I have optus cable. Speeds are fine, streaming Spotify to my phone, PC, Surface Pro and Sonos system is perfect.

A post from Paula of Google Home on 7 Jan (I think) said they are aware of the problem and are currently trying to resolve it. Probably just should've bought another Sonos Play speaker, however, my wife wanted to try this system

Please advise progress in resolving problem

No matter what I try, this issue STILL occurs. The relinking 'fix' didn't fix it, either! 

sometimes my spotify just stops and doesnt even start again. other times it stops for 5 minutes, sometimes it stops briefly ever 30 seconds.

I read on the google forums that other people have this issue, and they also can't find a fix, regarding, possibly various google devices interfiering with the connection to the google mini, and dropping the stream connection or something. 

Either spotify is the issue, or google is the issue, or maybe both? But I really hope this finds a fix soon, 😞 because I might just switch to a different service, as this ONLY happens with spotify on the google mini, I really don't want to switch though, I like spotify! 

I have just bought the Google home max and have this issue constantly. No one in my family can play Spotify .

Just stops playing, even though Google home app states everything is playing just fine 

Guess what? Google's own music service works flawlessly.... Funny that!

Does not resolve the issue, still experiencing problems. Can anyone from Spotify provide some clarity around this issue and unmark this as 'Resolved' because it's not!

There are similar complaints on Google's forums also.

STILL NOT WORKING EVEN AFTER TRYING ALL THESE "FIXES" REPEATEDLY!!!! 

Indeed, I have the same problem and reset/relink don't solve it, spotify is unusable on GH !

Please solve this !!!

I am from Chile and it is neither working.

This worked for me:

1: Unlink your Spotify account

Google Home -> Devices -> Device Name -> Settings -> Music -> unlink

2: Reboot Google Home

3: Relink Spotify 

Did this twice and still have the same issue. Tried rebooting the device and nothing yet. Playback is just fine from my cellphone on the same Wifi network and playing Google Play Music on the same Google Home device works flawlessly.i must say this only started happening a few days ago so wondering what could have caused it.

I’m from Philippines and this also happened to me. I tried every single fix but Spotify is buffering if played using command on Google Home mini!

I have a very stable Fiber Internet Connection @50Mbps and spotify is buffering?

Google and Spotify should sort this out! We are paying and you cant give us a quality service?

THIS IS NOT YET SOLVED

I just purchased my Google Home Mini today, and I'm having the same problem. Everything was working fine on my original Google Home, so this is only a problem for me on my mini. Google Play music works fine however. Have tried all the reboot methods and nothings worked

Suggested posts