Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gramofon or Chromecast Audio

Solved!

Gramofon or Chromecast Audio

I was planning to purchase a Gramofon device to allow streaming to my home stereo system. But now see that Google are about to launch an Audio Chromecast which (slightly) cheaper. 

I'm not a major audiophile  and am using a TV Chromecast for a while now very happily. But if there's a major quality benefit I would consider sticking to plan A and purchasing the Gramofon.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello!

I've tested both.  I've had a lot of problems with the Gramofon - it took a long while to setup & although I've had it streaming for a time over Spotify, the Gramofon has lost connection a number of times & music has stopped playing (two issues).

This was all on Virgin broadband with a D-LINK DIR-615 router.  I did a factory reset on the router and did have better luck (might've been as it was previously a weaker WEP security, setting it to WPA2 protocol improved the connection as Gramophones don't support WEP)... but it still drops the Wifi and loses it's own connection.  The issues could be due to the Virgin set-up... I had better luck on BT... however...

Due to the problems with the Gramofon, I went out and bought a £30 Chromecast Audio, which by comparision is painless to set-up, get working and maintaining a solid connection.  Even though I unplugged it, it connected back again straightaway with the app remembering it.

In summary, to compare the two, although the lights on the Gramofon and the sturdy build & weight are nice (the Chromecast is insignifcant by contrast), the Chromecast wins in terms of set-up and consistency.  The sound quality of the two seems very similar - both are excellent.  It's amazing that Google have managed to cram all the tech into such a minute space.  The Gramophone is four times or more the size of a C/C. 

It's good the Gramofon has been a Kickstarter campaign, but having a larger company like Google improves the availability & support of the product.  Afterall I picked one up from Currys - the Gramophone needs to be ordered from Portugal, and sent back overseas if there's any technical problems with it.  It's also slightly more expensive (around £13, plus £4 shipping to the UK).

Go for the Chromecast.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Both of them have a high quality DAC (digital audio converter) built in so sound quality shouldn't be a huge difference between the two. Since you already enjoy your Chromecast, I would suggest Chromecast Audio. It supports 3.5 mm, RCA, and optical hookups. The included 3.5mm cable looks small on the website so you might need to get a longer cable.

https://www.google.com/chromecast/speakers/

I have a Gramofon and a ROCKI Play and I'd have to give the Gramofon a bad review. It works, but to me it's pretty clunky because the device is pretty big and takes up a lot of space. It also didn't seem to work very good on my WiFi setup and was slow at times.

The Gramofon would only support Spotify while the Chromecast Audio would support multiple services.

The Chromecast Audio would probably be easier to setup from the looks of it.

It's up to you though.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

the chromecast audio promises multiroom support later this year (ie same song in multiple rooms at the same time). Gramofon doesn't do this as far as I am aware.

I have the gramofon and will be getting the Chromecast audio, probably two. Nothing wrong with the gramofon but I suspect the Chromecast will be better.

Hey!! I just want to clarify that the Gramofon *does* support multi-room since it includes Qualcomm's AllPlay. Pretty cool actually and syncs perfectly.

You can use AllPlay with Spotify?
Marked as solution

Hello!

I've tested both.  I've had a lot of problems with the Gramofon - it took a long while to setup & although I've had it streaming for a time over Spotify, the Gramofon has lost connection a number of times & music has stopped playing (two issues).

This was all on Virgin broadband with a D-LINK DIR-615 router.  I did a factory reset on the router and did have better luck (might've been as it was previously a weaker WEP security, setting it to WPA2 protocol improved the connection as Gramophones don't support WEP)... but it still drops the Wifi and loses it's own connection.  The issues could be due to the Virgin set-up... I had better luck on BT... however...

Due to the problems with the Gramofon, I went out and bought a £30 Chromecast Audio, which by comparision is painless to set-up, get working and maintaining a solid connection.  Even though I unplugged it, it connected back again straightaway with the app remembering it.

In summary, to compare the two, although the lights on the Gramofon and the sturdy build & weight are nice (the Chromecast is insignifcant by contrast), the Chromecast wins in terms of set-up and consistency.  The sound quality of the two seems very similar - both are excellent.  It's amazing that Google have managed to cram all the tech into such a minute space.  The Gramophone is four times or more the size of a C/C. 

It's good the Gramofon has been a Kickstarter campaign, but having a larger company like Google improves the availability & support of the product.  Afterall I picked one up from Currys - the Gramophone needs to be ordered from Portugal, and sent back overseas if there's any technical problems with it.  It's also slightly more expensive (around £13, plus £4 shipping to the UK).

Go for the Chromecast.

Hello
i have one question about chromecast audio. Does it work as a normal spotify connect device?
Someone told me that chromecast audio work only with android and iOS devices so desktop spotify on windows computers don't see chromecast audio.
Is it true?
I have gramofon and i going to buy another spotify connect device. Chromecast audio is cheaper than gramofon but if i wouldn't use it with windows computer it will be useless for me.

Hey @krzysztof_w

I think this is true. It only works on iOS and Android.

I found a conversation about it on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/3peqqg/spotify_works_on_chromecast_from_phone_and_table...

and here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Connecting-to-Chromecast-from-Window...

The reason is that Google hasn't made an SDK available for desktop yet. 

However, if you start playback from the mobile app and select the Chromecast, then it will show in the desktop app that it is playing on the chromecast. It doesn't show the chromecast icon next to the device, but it does show a TV screen and you can control it from the desktop app. 

Maybe Spotify can get around this limitation in a future update to the desktop app, but as of version 1.0.16 of the the desktop app, you will have to start the stream to the chromecast from the mobile app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I bought two chromecast audios hoping to set up multiroom.  I also have a chromecast hooked up to my TV and surround sound system.  Apparently to get Spotify to play multiroom you have to sign up to Spotify Premium.  You also can't send instructions from one phone to multiple chromecast audios, although using Spoticast I can get my chromecast and 1 chromecast audio to work (but not in sync).  

None of the promo material that i have read made this distinction about Spotify Premium clear and I am not sure if Google's intended multiroom will address this, but I was sorely disappointed.

A lot of spotify third party devices do not work with anything but Premium...

Or they work "sort of" and are missing features..

This is the norm for spotify.. If you connect it to anything other than a PC or phone, expect it to require a sub.

As per using the Gramofon vs Chromecast...

Chromecast has its avantages.. You cant stream the easy way to chromecast using the PC app... but its a lot easier to setup, more resilient and doesnt broadcast FON (if you have the early model Gramofon).... 

Gramofon is a little testy to setup, some models broadcast FON's "network sharing"... and the wifi repeat is a recipe for disaster.. they really should have added an additional radio and keep the input wifi separate from the out.... but you can access it via the web.. (note i did not say stream from the pc..).. and it does support Qualcomm AllPlay with multiroom very well..

-J

Even if this an somewhat older discussion, it was first that hit me regarding CC vs. Gramofon. Right now, I do not own any of the both. But reading the descriptions, isn't there one difference not mentioned here: you can connect the Gramofon by LAN cable to your network, while the Chromecast Audio is limited to WiFi?

Absolutely... the Gramofon does support Ethernet and wired connections.. vs the Chromecast Audio (out of the box) only supports wireless... without an additional adapter (Yes theres an Ethernet adapter for Chromecast devices.. Uses an integrated USB cable (from what appears as USB power to the consumer)  to link to an adapter box and that supplies power to the chromecast with an Ethernet Jack on it)

Also the new Chromecast Audio supports an optical out ...

Supposedly one can do Multiroom in a form similar to AllPlay with the new software/firmware for chromecast..

I just wish it had better integration with Desktop machines.. 

Chromecast Audio have updated firmware to enable increased quality, and also a multiroom capability.  Sadly the update can take up to two weeks to arrive and I haven't got it yet.  See e.g. http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/chromecast-audio-multiroom-grouping-1201657931/ .   

Still don't have Spotify premium becuase £10 a month seems expensive when e.g. netflix is only £7?

Yes!

Yes

Kind of an old thread but I've run both for a long time and have finally given up on Gramofons. I can't put up with frequent glitches and drop outs in service and, yes, my broadband is just fine. The sound quality is definitely better than Chromecast and multiroom is easy to set up but I'm fed up with it hanging or dropping out completely when faced with too many instructions (changing tracks a couple of times in quick succession can kill it) or often failing to show up as an available device. Gramofon set up is actually quick and easy once you throw away their useless instructions and find a Youtube how-to video instead but Chromecast set up is even more straightforward. There also were some obvious compatability issues with AllPlay software last year and Gramofon were very cagey and offered no advice or updates, which doesn't bode well for users when you consider how crucial the software is to Gramofon's functionality. Chromecast sound is good enough and you can also stream local files/browser content much more easily. Gramofon's now almost twice the price of a Chromecast which is smaller, more versatile and a heap more reliable. 

Do you have multiple wifi extenders in your house by any chance ?

If you use Spotify web player you can cast directly from your browser to Chromecast Audio and works well on hi-fi separates, connect RCA cable to amplifier from CCA

Suggested posts