Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Greyed out songs

Solved!

Greyed out songs

I've noticed that songs coming up in the search results are occasionally greyed out, and I can't play them.This happens on mobile devices, the web player and the desktop player. I originally figured those were premium-only or something, but having started a trial I noticed they're still greyed out. I also noticed that the amount of greyed out songs seems to be increasing. At first I thought this was a regional block (I'm currently in Germany, and some of the greyed out music works in the Netherlands); in many cases, this applies to entire albums (such as this album). However, I'm increasingly seeing it on individual songs on an album (e.g., the first and eighth song on this album), and even on songs that I used to be able to play in the past.  Also of note- songs aren't greyed out consistently. For example, the album I linked above was added to a playlist by the band, and the songs look normal there.

related questions:

This question is similar, but the reason there was related to playing on a mobile device.

This question is basically the same as mine (I think...), but has gone unanswered for three years, so I figured I'd make a more detailed question about it.

This solved question supports the idea that a regional block is the cause, but I'm really confused as to how that relates to individual songs being blocked (as compared to full albums, which I understand). See also here and probably many similar questions.

Here it is stated that this also applies to unreleased material.

This suggests that album removals are also common.

Is there any way to see why I can't play these songs (unreleased/no artist permission/other reasons)?

Is there some kind of censorship setting in the client that I missed?

I did find a 'show unavailable tracks in playlists', which was turned off until I found it just now.

83 Replies

I was casually looking for Regional at Best by twenty one pilots. I’ve never seen it on Spotify before so I was first of all surprised when it showed up and then wondered why it was greyed out.

The only other time I have encountered that was when I went to play Run Run Run by Hunters and Collectors which I had downloaded ages ago and it was the only song by them that was greyed out.

I agree that not getting an answer is bullsite.

Here’s something interesting.  On one album, one song is greyed out on Spotify.  On iTunes, the greyed out song is $1.29 while the other tracks are $.99.  

Can't play Shake a Tail Feather with Ray Charles from Blues Brothers Album. Greyed out as mentioned above and every page in this thread...

Go to Apple Music, can't buy the song, but you do get it if you buy the entire album...

This ISN'T a country licensing issue, it is a **bleep** money issue. What a load of **bleep**.

So many issues with Spotify, I am getting close to closing my premium family account.

Crashes on the phone, a current playlist stops and has to be restarted, used to work on home stereo now doesn't.

What a waste of money this is getting. 8(

I have a problem with Spotify on my phone all songs are grey but on my iPad they are not its the same account 

Hi everyone I am also having the issue of greyd out songs, but for me it's on all the itunes playlists I have imported. Not sure if it;s fully connected, but would be keen to see if anyone had a solution?

p.s. I agree, charging for something with zero support is pretty shameful

Sorry, this so-called 'solution' from kbrooksc is a load of bull.  As others have said, greyed-out tracks on my mobile device play perfectly well on my Mac computer.  So it can't have anything to do with licensing or digital rights. 

Had this issue this morning in a playlist...more than 100 songs are greyed out, but  the same song is also available if I seacrh for it! Can't waste my time replacing them...plerase fix!!!!

Thesetracks are fine in the iPhone's app though...I can play them withouta ny issues...very odd...

A few new ones popped up just today. Versions are all in playlists I've curated. Songs from the same act and the same record are in the same playlist but not greyed out. The act's record does not show the song as greyed out either. All acts of recent vintage: Kendrick, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Perfume Genius. 

How come songs that are in Germany Top 50 list are unavailable in Germany?!

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.06.05_16h02m14s_007_.jpg

Boll0cks company who provide zero tech support; probably mainly due to them not having any technical background or know-how of why songs are greyed out so they fob us off.  Most definitely a problem on Spotifys side.

An artist I know had some of his songs greyed out for no reason, I contacted Spotify knowing I knew the artist, he lives round the corner from me in the UK and hosts his own label and they contacted me back saying I couldnt listen due to the laws in my country....mate he lives round the corner so you're reading off a cue card. I showed them screenshots of the music label, country etc and showed this to be false.  Needless to say Spotify closed my ticket and didn't even reply back lol.

Pathetic really.

I used Amazon music when I had a membership. I found it didn't have many of the albums I would search for. Spotify seems to have many more. I just saw this post cuz I'm trying to understand why spotify would recommend I listen to an album that isn't available. Why even have the album on file?? Weirdness.

Hey, I've had a similar problem recently. Pretty Fly For A White Guy by The Offspring is suddenly greyed out. Every other song on their Americana album is available, and it used to be available, so it makes no sense.  It also wouldn't make sense for it to be regional, I doubt they purposely removed it for American listeners. The Offspring even played the song in the United States relatively recently, so I'm sure they're fine with it being available in America. My best guess is that it has something to do with servers.

How come that they say they have problems or agreement issues with certain artists or companies but at the same time there are artists where some songs are visible and some just disappear? Even when looking up the companies you find that they have an agreement with spotify and yet there are songs greyed out for no apparent reason..........

You mention that you can play greyed out songs. How?

Post by defaultanswer

For me, I deleted the data and cache for the app. When I reopened Spotify, it had open song radio menu item again. 

• Why are more and more songs being greyed out? The songs previously were playing just fine. I'm paying Premium and did not change my location at all .

It would be nice if we could interact with these tracks in some way to give feedback, vote or otherwise show our interest in having access to them.

Same here. As recently as earlier this evening, I was able to listen to the majority of Shine A Light by the Rolling Stones. Now the bonus tracks are all greyed out, as is the album intro. 😞

Suggested posts