Sadly, of all the Chromecast-enabled apps, Spotify is the one riddled with bugs, both UX and functional.
1. Biggest UX issue: to cast music, one needs to "play, hit pause, select chromecast, hit play again". In all other cast-enabled apps (TuneIn, Netflix, YouTube, etc), one has an option to switch to cast at any point (commonly in the upper-right part of the app).
2. Biggest functional issue: this is a relatively new one (roughly since beginning of 2017) - doing the whole "play-pause-cast-play", let's say on album X by artist Y, once connected to Chromecast and I hit play, Spotify decides to play album Z (curiously from the same album though).
It's pretty obvious that Chromecast support has secondary priority at Spotify (priority seems to be given to Spotify Connect enabled speakers and Apple TV). But it would be great to have Spotify at least be in parity with all other popular apps.
Since the update, besides missing the display of the previous and next songs, I've been experiencing some lags in chromecast. Sometimes, it makes it impossible to listen to a song, as it freezes many times for at least 5 seconds while playing. Please fix this. I've never had these problems before that update which changed the design.
For a time there, the app at least still worked. Now however, I can't even get Spotify to play anything at all on Chromecast. It connects, and the current song appears, but clicking play does absolutely nothing. The song looks to be playing on the app (the time is moving) but there is no change on the television and eventually, about 30 seconds after the initial connection, the whole thing just drops out and reverts back to the Chromecast home screen.
For reference, I am using an iPhone 7 with Spotfiy Premium, and (I believe) a Gen 2 Chromecast connected to a Philips television.
I'd love to know what the pressing reason was for taking something which worked fairly reliably for most of us and turn it into a piece of **bleep**.
I connect to my chromecast using my S8 and see somethiing remarkably like my android screen. None of the android controls work with chromecast now so I have to use my TV remote. Volume control doesn't work. Hitting Play on android starts the music playing on android to be mirrored on chromecast after a delay. Hitting Pause on android just pauses the music on my android.
You guys seem to be **bleep** bent on driving users away. I already have a Play Music account and, needless to say, casting works flawlessly.
- Color, please!!! I can feel my happiness go away with that dark background.
- I don't really care if the Previous, Play and Next buttons are there (I actually like them), but seriously, When the track is PLAYING, there should be a PAUSE button (like if the interface was funtional).
- Bigger fonts and Cover art. I'm using my glasses and it's already difficult to see.
- As someone said on a previous reply, please can you add some kind of movement? For us, with older TV's, the staticness tend to burn the pixels (or the gas, as on my living room PLASMA TV).
- Fix the reaction gap from the app and the chromecast.
And, now that we are talking about the chromecast support:
PLEASE MAKE IT WORK DIRECTLY FROM THE PC/MAC APP FROM THE CONNECT MENU.
Thanks for giving this space, and reading our comments for the first real time in... many years, actually.