Announcements

Help us improve Chromecast

Highlighted

Re: Help us improve Chromecast

Casual Listener

Hi, the screen looks great, however there is an issue. I'm currently using a gen 1 Chromecast, whenever i'm casting music, if i were to shuffle a playlist or add a song to my queue. The screen shows the action taking effect and the app shows that the connection is dropped immediately. Even though the app shows the connection dropped, the Chromecast continues playing Spotify. 

Highlighted

Regular

To Spotify Folks...  Thanks for the recent rollout for Spotify for Chromecast...

What I like/noticed:

1) The Spotify trademark is (has been for a while) back up in the top left corner.

2) The soft, changing (after each song) background colors are pleasing to the eye and add a degree of class to the viewing portion of the experience.

3) I like the top left also now showing what is playing is a clear nice-sized font (the album name if you are playing an album, or the name of the playlist if you are playing a playlist).  The one slight drawback/tradeoff here is that if I am playing a playing a playlist, the name of the album does not appear anywhere, but with the album art right in front of you, that is usually not an issue.  Overall, I like the setup.

4) I can get used to, actually I kind of like, that the control buttons (e.g. shuffle, repeat, pause) only pop up on the screen when they are activated on the phone, and in green as they are on the phone.  This allows the user to know what is activated - very cool.

So, thanks for these pleasing-to-the-eye updates.

What I'm still hoping for, and as I can tell from the other replies, so are many others:

Finishing up the cosmetic stuff...

1) The name of the artist below the name of the song is still quite small

2) There appears to be space to the left and right of main now-playing album cover, so hopefully we could see in the next rollout, the previous/next album covers, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 size of now-playing album cover on the left/right sides, as was the setup several months ago, and as Pompa mentioned in one of his initial replies.  Looking over all the replies here, many of us very much liked that visual previous/current/next song concept.  Bring it back please.

Non-Cosmetic Stuff...

1) Gapless playback...  First thing I did was put on Beatles' Abbey Road and there was no gapless playback.  Not good for any album like this or live albums as others have mentioned on this board.  Any chance for gapless playback, please!!!

2) Shuffling... same problem still exists.  Any larger playlist does not shuffle past a certain group of songs, so for example, if one has a 1000 song playlist, in alpha order, well, it will never shuffle past the songs that begin with A or B.  One may have some luck if the process is initiated from the computer, but as another poster mentioned, it will eventually go back to the small range of songs.  This is difficult to accept, as I would imagine a lot of folks use the Spotify/Chromecast experience when entertaining, etc. and that's exactly when a big playlist is likely being used. Regardless, shuffling large playlist is fine on the computer, or phone, just not when Chromecasting - very unfortunate... so let's hope this is also addressed in the next rollout.

Maybe a few more comments/suggestions as this new rollout is used.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts to make Spotify Chromecast experience the best it can be!  I hope to see more updates in the near-future!

Highlighted

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Sad to see that Pompa left Spotify recently. I hope the new product manager is still working on the feedback that was posted here.

Edit: Just saw 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Spotify Legend

I'm here in spirit instead. 😉

Highlighted

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

@pompa

Good luck on your next adventure 🙂

MattSudaRock Star 24
Highlighted

Gig Goer

I have not done a force stop, but many times closing and relaunching the app "fixes" this problem.

Btw, there is an ongoing discussion about this issue here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Windows-Phone-etc/Chromecast-not-showing-in-Spotify-...

Highlighted

Gig Goer

So glad to meet you and appreciate you reaching out for feedback. While the majority of comments here are UI related, I'll focus on issues related to your focus: performance. And there are some issues....

Issue 1: Spotify can't find Chromecast. This happens frequently and is very frustrating. Open app, select Devices Available, 'no chromecast' - close Spotify, relaunch, select Devices Available, select Chromecast device. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't always work, so plan B is often launching Pandora - which never has had a problem connecting.

I saw a few mention it in this thread, but here's an ongoing post with lots of details Chromecast-not-showing-in-Spotify-App Btw, the post says it's solved - it is NOT solved.

Issue 2: Losing volume controls when casting: Frequently, after a short while of casting I lose volume control (even when phone is awake). Pressing the handset volume button adjusts the phone's ringtone level. Closing and relaunching Spotify almost always clears theis up - but that's obviously a nuisance. Here's an ongoing disucssion related to this problem Losing-Volume-Control-with-Chromecast

Issue 3: Shuffle Issues. This one too has been mentioned in this thread. Some of this has to do with human perception of randomness, but I can tell you somethings amiss with your shuffle program. 

Issue 4: Random disconnects. Occasionally, Spotify just disconnects from Chromecast. The TV will continue to play, but the phone is stuck on last song. Sometimes I can reconnect and the songs will sync back up - othertimes, it basically starts a new listening session.

Issue 5: No volume control while phone is asleep. Most of the time this works, but sometimes it doesn't and you have to bring the app up on the phone screen. This is not nearly as frustrating as issue 2 above, but it's a nice feature to have working. 

I'll be happy to share more comments about UI and other useful features to develop, but clearly no point until at least issues 1 and 2 are resolved.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

I just got a chance to test out the recent improvements to the new Chromecast UI. I really like the new changes.

What I like:

• Spotify logo with the title of the playlist you are currently playing from is nice
  • The colored background that matches the album art is nice. No more boring black. It's more in line with the now playing screen on the mobile app. The color choices are stronger than the subtle colors used on the now playing screen in the mobile app. I prefer the stronger colors in the Chromecast UI
  • I like that you got rid of the forward and next icons as they were not helpful for the TV UI
  • I like that the repeat and shuffle icons only show up if they are activated and they show as green so you can easily see them
  • I like the pause icon in the lower right to clearly show that playback is paused

What I don't like:

• Progress bar, time stamps, and song artist are all still hard to see. It looks like they are invisible -- can't see them at all. Blends in with the background. Remember most people are sitting a ways back on the couch in either a bright room or a dark room. The song title is readable -- everything else should be the same white color as the song title (not invisible) but I would like if the font size was bigger
MattSudaRock Star 24
Highlighted

Gig Goer

An excellent point - 

@aloukissas wrote:

1. Biggest UX issue: to cast music, one needs to "play, hit pause, select chromecast, hit play again". In all other cast-enabled apps (TuneIn, Netflix, YouTube, etc), one has an option to switch to cast at any point (commonly in the upper-right part of the app).

Instead of the easy-to-use cast icon on the home screen, you require users to navigate a convoluted series of steps: After launching app, 1) select "playing now" then 2) select 'devices available' and finally 3) select Chromecast (if it's listed - see my previous complaint...).

That's 3 steps instead of one - I would tend to agree with aloukissas statement that  Chromecast appears to be a low priority at Spotify, an afterthought for your product team.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Please bring back the cover art for the upcoming and last played songs. 

If you heard a new song that you liked, but were away from the display, it was very helpful to be able to later look and see what it was.

Likewise, it was nice to be able to see what's coming up next.

SUGGESTED POSTS