Announcements

Help us improve Chromecast

Highlighted

Re: Help us improve Chromecast

Regular

First and foremost fix the streaming stability issues it's had for the last few months.  It's honestly embarrassing how bad it is now.  Spotify will stream to my Chromecast for an indeterminate amount of time (sometimes a half hour, sometimes just one song) then stop, usually between songs but sometimes during.  Then when I go to reconnect it either refuses to connect (just says "connecting..." for several seconds and then gives up) or my Chromecast and often other streaming devices such as my receiver, PS4, etc. don't even show up when I click on "Devices." It even happens when streaming to my receiver and PS4. I know it isn't my Chromecast because I own 2 video and one audio Chromecasts and it happens on all of them and never happens with any other streaming service I use. I know it isn't my wifi because I've used two different cable companies and have had 3 different routers in the last few months and it happens on all of them. I've been with Spotify for several years, but I've about had it.  Either this gets fixed soon or I'm moving over to Google Music.

Highlighted

Regular

I am having trouble connecting to the chromecast in the first place already. So for me, the UI doesn't feel like it should be topmost priority. Having 2 chromecasts, i find it odd that the ios app doesnt detect neither of them, while youtube and netflix always do. Is this a separate issue, or do you think this is caused by the rehaul of the chromecast app you mention?

Highlighted

Regular

Glad to see continued progress, and glad Spotify is still listening and working on making this a better experience.  For those of you thinking of switching, don't.  Currently, the Spotify Chromecast UI/experience is best out there, and it's getting better all the time.  My goodness, Google Play's UI (a zoomed-in, pixelated view of the top portion of the album) is the ugliest, most ridiculous look I have ever seen... and Spotify on Roku/Firestick is horrible, as is Amazon Music (those, I have tested).  So let's continue with good feedback here to Spotify and hope they continue to listen!

I did notice today for the first time "Behind the Lyrics" commentary on the screen while playing a few songs...  not many, just a couple out of some very old popular groups like the Beatles or Animals, inter-mixing lyrics and some tid-bits of the song playing.  When this happened, the album art shifted to the left, and the facts came up on the right portion of the screen.  It was okay, not great, but some interesting facts about the song was fun.  Problem is, most of the songs had nothing, and the songs were all 60-70's popular hits.  However, on my phone, I have the option to turn this feature off, but even if I turn it off, it still shows up on my tv via Chromecast, so I have no option via Chromecast?

To reiterate what several other users have posted...  yes, there is connection reliabilty issues. If it's the first time, thinks often work ok.  However, I could just finish playing a short playlist on Chromecast, and if it times-out for a few minutes, and I try to play my next playlist, well, quite often I can't connect.  I have to get out of Spotify, sometimes even reboot my phone, to get a clean setup and re-connect.  Hard to explain allthe details, but it's just not reliable.

Also, I'm not being negative, just honest, but I getting so desperate for proper shuffling of a 1000 song playlist that I have to initiate this process via the computer in order not to listen to songs from a certain section of the playlist.  Lastly, can someone from Spotify please tell us whether gapless playback is a future possibility - I hope so.

Thanks for listening to our experiences - I'm sure we all want the best product that can be attained and I for one, will continue to hope for improvements over time, as so many of these posts make valid points.

Thnks Spotify for listening.

Highlighted

Gig Goer

So is this thread still active? I know pompa, the product manager, left Spotify - has anyone taken over that role - or just isakb working on this? 

I've seen many of the suggestions posted here regarding aesthetics have been adopted (color background, removal of clutter, etc.) and fairly well received.

But what about the small, unreadable text for artist name that so many have complained about? Song name could be bigger too - it is a 'big screen' experience afterall...

Seems font size would be one of the easier changes you can make to improve the experience!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Sadly, all work that seems to go into the app is "aesthetics". The functional bugs with chromecast support are many and sadly, all the designers in the world can't fix them. Spotify has too many of those, yet too few engineers.

Highlighted

Community Legend

@pompa

HI, many complaints in the forums about tv screen pixel are freezed for a long time causing pixel bursts and tv image retention (specially on oled).

Highlighted

It is really frustrating trying to use Spotify with Chromecast. It is a miriacle if you get it to connect, once you connect it you cant close the app or it loses track of the connection and then youre left with the chromecast just playing music and cant stop it from your phone.

It is the only app that works like that. Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, TuneIn, you name it, they all work great and never lose track of their casting connection.

Spotify is such a great service, that it is sad not being able to enjoy it with today's streaming capabilities.

I have my hopes up that the developer team will work through the issues. Don't let us down!!

Highlighted

Massively unstable

Chromecast use is absolutely awful.  It's unstable in that I cannot cast for long periods (more than 30-60 minutes) from a browser tab.

If I cast from the Android app on a Samsung Galaxy S7 running version "8.4.32.623 armV7", then I lose Chromecast volume control after about 30 minutes, only regaining it if I reboot my phone.  (I've already added the Spotify app to not be battery optimized.)

The Spotify app in Windows does not allow casting at all.

I'm currently at home, trying to stream Christmas music from the windows desktop app, the web app on Spotify's website, or from my Android phone none of them are currently viable options.  I spend as much time listening as I do trying to debug why it's stopped working.

Your efforts to overhaul Chromecast integration are massively failing.  I'd rather have an unoptimized app than one that doesn't work at all.

All I want is for Spotify to be able to cast.  From ANY app.

Highlighted

Regular

You're right.  Google Play's UI is lousy to look at and short on features.  But it's stable. I'm one of those weirdos that's likes music playing virtually all day.  I've been listening via Chromcast for several hours on Google Play without a single hiccup. When I was using Spotify I'd be lucky to get an hour out of it before the stream would stop and the app, the device or the Chromecast itself needed a restart in order to get the stream going again. I reluctantly dumped Spotify after several years of paid subscription and I'm never going back. It comes down to the question of "do you want the app to do what it's supposed to do or look pretty."  How much time do you spend interacting with the app vs how much time do you spend listening?  

Highlighted

Regular

Google Play Music, while not pretty and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, is at least stable and reliable.  After years of paid Spotify subscription I switched a few months ago.  No regrets.

SUGGESTED POSTS