Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I make Google home play a spotify playlist

Solved!

How do I make Google home play a spotify playlist

How for the love of whatever you all hold holy get Google home to play one of my playlists??? I say "ok google play my music playlist on spotify" to which I normally get "playing a radio station based on your music playlist" which is not what I want, I want it to play the playlist i've told it to play!! is this really the most difficult thing in the word??!?!?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey,

The reason your Google Home is playing a station of songs inspired by the playlist is because you need a Spotify Premium account to hear specific songs, albums, artists or personal playlists on demand. Check out the comparison below:

Spotify Free:

If you don't have a Spotify Premium account,  you'll hear a station of songs inspired by the song/album/artist or personal playlists you asked for.  You can't hear specific songs, albums, artists or personal playlists on demand, but you can ask for music based on genre, mood or activity, or for Spotify-curated playlists.

Spotify Premium:

If you have a Spotify Premium account you can play content on demand. You can hear specific songs/albums/artists along with music based on genre, mood or activity, Spotify’s curated playlists, and your personal playlists. 

For more information check out this Google Home support page.

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey,

The reason your Google Home is playing a station of songs inspired by the playlist is because you need a Spotify Premium account to hear specific songs, albums, artists or personal playlists on demand. Check out the comparison below:

Spotify Free:

If you don't have a Spotify Premium account,  you'll hear a station of songs inspired by the song/album/artist or personal playlists you asked for.  You can't hear specific songs, albums, artists or personal playlists on demand, but you can ask for music based on genre, mood or activity, or for Spotify-curated playlists.

Spotify Premium:

If you have a Spotify Premium account you can play content on demand. You can hear specific songs/albums/artists along with music based on genre, mood or activity, Spotify’s curated playlists, and your personal playlists. 

For more information check out this Google Home support page.

NoahSpotify Star

Thanks for the reply, I can now start looking for other music services as I don't listen to enough music to waste money on a subscription...

AMEN!!!! I have had a Free spotify account on my PC that I have used for the last couple months now and absolutely love it. I am able to play my playlists or pick songs/skip songs when I want. Which is GREAT! I bought the google home in thinking I'd be able to play the playlists like in all the commercials but of course there's a catch. I just dont understand why you have to have a premium account to choose playlists/songs on google home but when I used on my PC it lets me. Very frustrating. 

I am trying to figure out how to say "google play my playlist from spotify" the closest I get is google plays random songs on a hit list and I have to manually go on my computer and tell spotify to play from my playlist. I would like to know, how to cut the computer out and just tell google to play the playlist I want. 

I dont have premium and you dont need premium to have playlists as long as you are using the computer or combo of the google home & spotify app on the phone. However, if you want to access your playlist on the spotify app from your phone and choose the song you want, you need Spotify Premium. Otherwise, it will play your playlist on random.

I have a spotify premium account and I still cannot get it to play a specific playlist on my account. I can get it to play certain songs or artists but not a playlist I created named "Grace's Playlist" or "Nate's Playlist"

Hey @racquel89

Welcome to the community!

If you don't have a Spotify Premium account, you'll hear a station of songs inspired by the song/album/artist or personal playlists you asked for.  You can't hear specific songs, albums, artists or personal playlists on demand, but you can ask for music based on genre, mood or activity, or for Spotify-curated playlists. For more information check out this Google Home support page.

The only way you are going to be able to select a specific Spotify playlist on Google Home is by using Spotify Connect on your phone or computer.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star

Hey @mvanella,

Welcome to the community!

Try saying "Ok/Hey Google, play playlist <playlist name>". Also, keep in mind that it may take a few hours before your Google Home can play a newly created playlist

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star

The problem is not always that you need a Premium account, because I had a Premium account and had the exact same issue. The problem is that if you name something a very simple name, as most of us do, like "Julie's Playlist", apparently Spotify/Google Home find that too confusing (insert sarcasm). The actual fix to this is to name your playlist some long name that hopefully no one else thought of. Once I renamed my playlist "Julie G's Favorite Stuff", lo and behold, Google Home found it. Give it a try.

IT WORKS!!!!

Thanks

Suggested posts