Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I stop Spotify from playing music by itself on spotify connect in the middle of the night?

How do I stop Spotify from playing music by itself on spotify connect in the middle of the night?

I am having a very frustrating and mysterious problem.  I have a Denon AVR, and I occasionally use Spotify Connect to play music on it.  Recently, I have been coming home or waking up to find that my Denon AVR started playing Spotify music by itself.

In each case, the AVR was turned off before I left or went to sleep.  The music that is playing is garbage that I would never listen to.  Today I turned on the Spotify app on my Mac to see what exactly was playing.  It was an album (again, not one that I have ever listened to or would).  Although I could see the tracks in my Play Queue, oddly none of them appeared in my History.  I wonder if that suggests that the problem is with another account?  My wife and son also use Spotify, but do not use Spotify Connect with this speaker.

For now I have disabled the feature on my Denon AVR that allows it to turn on when it is in stand-by mode.  But this is clearly a Spotify problem.  How can I prevent this from happening?  Or at least, how can I see what device is issuing Spotify Connect directives in the middle of the night?

If I am unable to solve this, I plan to get rid of our Spotify Premium family plan.  Since Spotify Premium is needed for connect, I think that will fix the problem.

I have found some reports from Sonos users that sound similar... but nothing from Denon users.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/music-from-spotify-starts-playing-by-itself-no...

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/why-does-my-sonos-system-turn-itself-on-playin...

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone XS, MacBook Pro

2 Replies

I have been having a similar problem. Just like what is happening to you, my spotify will randomly play tracks from locations and artists I've never heard of. However, mine does this no matter what device I listen on. It started as I was driving home from work and in the middle of the song I was listening too, the music cut out and a completely different track started playing. I switched back to my playlist and once again, less than 2 minutes later, the same playlist randomly started in the middle of a song. It eventually got to the point where the playlist would start about every 20 seconds. I restarted the app once I got home and my phone as well. 

But it doesn't end there... 

As I was listening on my computer, the same problem began to occur, this time from a completely different playlist. Just like before, I tried restarting my computer and Spotify, but to no avail. On top of that, if I had Spotify open at all, even with music paused, this playlist would randomly start playing. 

I would like to point out that no one else shares my spotify account and I am a premium member, so I'm not just getting recomended songs. I would like for people to know about this problem because of just how annoying and frustrating it has been. 

I'm having the exact same problem! I also have a Denon receiver that will randomly turn on in the middle of the night blasting some garbage music that I have never listened to before.

Any possible solutions for this?? It's driving me crazy.

Suggested posts