Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

Solved!

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

I created a playlist and am telling Amazon's Echo to play it but it won't. Suggestions? I'm a premium subscriber.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @rich1234

Check out these help articles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601830

https://support.spotify.com/article/spotify-amazon-echo/

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/echo-voice

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I finally figured out what to say to get it to work. "Alexa, on Spotify play the *playlist name* playlist."

It's the only thing I've tried that actually worked.

Marked as solution

"Alexa, on Spotify play the *playlist name* playlist."

it seems to work sometime then others not

also it wont work if you have multiple playlists saved with the exact some name

Marked as solution

oh thankyou !!! i went through a few of my playlists and she only saw one. then i realised my playlists are two words put together and she was thinking there was a space inbetween etc. so i renamed playlists to more simple terms.

60 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @rich1234

Check out these help articles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601830

https://support.spotify.com/article/spotify-amazon-echo/

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/echo-voice

MattSudaSpotify Star

i have the same problem - had found these pages - and Echo still won't play Playlists i have made - i too am a premium member - but i will quit if this feature is not included

Can't get the playlist on Spotify or Amazon Prime music to play on Echo or
Tap. Argh!

Hey guys,

This sounds like an issue with the Amazon Echo.

I suggest contacting Amazon support. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I can get my Amazon TAP to play some of my playlists but not all.  Alexa repeats my command for the playlist and then goes silent on some of the playlists.  Can't figure out why.  Any suggestions/answers?

Same case here.  I will quit if it does not work to play my playlist

I have an Amazon Echo and Echo Dots in a few rooms throughout my house.  I've never had issues with Spotify playlists on Echo until today.  All of a sudden none of my playlists will play on Echo through Spotify Connect.  I can listen to albums and singles on Echo.  But if I attempt to listen to any Spotify playlist, Echo instead starts playing the last album I listened to.  Is this a Spotify or Amazon Echo issue?

Today suddenly all working fine

Marked as solution

I finally figured out what to say to get it to work. "Alexa, on Spotify play the *playlist name* playlist."

It's the only thing I've tried that actually worked.

I've noticed that it can take some time for the Amazon Echo to see new playlists I have created in Spotify.It seems to pick up changes to existing playlists quickly enough, the delay only appears to affect newly created playlists. One time I had created some playlists and couldn't wait tried unlinking and relinking my Spotify account which appeared to force it to pick up the new playlists. 

@dorkman2000 this actually makes sense and worked first time! Thanks 🙂

Me too. Thanks dorkman2000

one hiccup i had with this was on generic named playlists... like "jams"... "the jams playlist' would play someone elses list, but "my jams playlist", played mine...

Iam still having issues. I have unlinked re linked , reset to factory defaults. disconnected from network and still having problems with Alexa playing any of my playlists. Have spken to Amazon and they are going to get thier developers to look into it. It had been working fine mostly but not with specific playlists which is when I got amazon to contact me.

will keep the thread updated on any developments and hopeully sollutions.

mine is also not picking up  even older palylists - i in 

serted the "my" in mine sometime ago and that helped - FOR A WHILE - now back to struggling to get them again - spotify should work with Amazon on a fix - they are the one who will lose over this - i will drop premium if it isn't fixed

This is not Spotify's fault - Echo / Alexa is less useless as this thread illustrates .  I can get Alexa to play a playlist one out of 15 tries... with the perfect cadence and verbage.  Half the time it just flashes and continues or says I have no music (oh, I guess I need to by Amazon music to have it work - surprise).

The iOS Alexa app is appaling.  Makes me want to cancel my prime account and never buy anything from Amazon again.... well that and use my echo dot as a hockey puck.

Similar issue. First, to those having trouble with getting Alexa to play Spotify properly... Alexa will try and get you to buy Amazon Prime to play music but there's an option within the app to make Spotify the default music player when sending voice commands. Do this first.

Now, here's my issue. I can get Alexa to play music and playlists from Spotify just fine. After you make Spotify the default, you don't have to say "play so and so from Spotify", she's use whatever service is the default. Good thing. If I just say "Alexa, shuffle my music", she plays the same four artists and pretty much the same songs each and every time! No luck shuffling playlists either. I have playlists in Spotify with hundreds of songs with the sole purpose that I won't have to hear the same song twice. So I go "Alexa, shuffle (playlist name)". She'll play the first song in the playlist. So I go "Alexa, skip 25 songs". She skips some songs but pretty sure not the number specified. If I just go "Alexa, skip", she goes through the handful of artists she always plays.

I'm beginning to think it's some Amazon scheme to get people frustrated and into buying Amazon prime. Not atypical for this kind of device/service (works wonders for Apple stuff). I got the Echo Dot as a gift at work so not complaining, I enjoy the to-do's, alarms and other features. But I'm an audiophile, music is super important in my everyday life. Alexa fails in that department.

Alexa also has the bad habit of playing two songs from Spotify at the same time! When I get fed up with the above issue, I switch to playing from my iPhone through Spotify Connect. So I go "Alexa, stop" (to stop her playback). Then I play something from the phone and a few seconds later she resumes playing whatever she thinks I want to hear, on top of my song!!! so I need to go "Alexa, stop!" once again.

This voice commend thing can be a convoluted mess I tell ya!

Make Spotify your default music service on Alexa app then just use the command you do with amazing music and it will work.

The magic words are:

Alexa, shuffle 'playlist name' from Spotify

Suggested posts