Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

Solved!

How to play a playlist on Amazon Echo

I created a playlist and am telling Amazon's Echo to play it but it won't. Suggestions? I'm a premium subscriber.

60 Replies

You can choose your default streaming in settings on the alexa app!

That is a good solution if use one service exclusively. I have a large iTunes library I play as much as Spotify and play both of them.

I have had this problem but have solved it (I hope)

Command "alexa on spotify play name of list playlist"

More than one playlist? Will not play one after the other

Command "Alexa stop."   then repeat above with new playlist

Keep playlist names simple --- Mine were too long!

No, I tried that but it still doesn't work, for instance I changed the name to Echo playlist and it plays some other **bleep** with the word Echo in it, I also changed Spotify to default, this is an issue with Amazon unfortunately.

Hi I have a spotify premium account but when i go to settings - music - in the Alexa app, there is no option to connect to spotify.....any ideas????

Hi  From memory I have Spotify premium and downloading the spotify app
onto the (host) phone Alexa automatically connects with the command
"Alexa play spotify"  and Spotify is shown in the Music & Books dropdown.

"shuffle 'play list name' from spotify" only this worked for me! thanks!

None of these links give a solution to the problem.   I have made some playlists on spotify and given them names, they are in my spotify library but when I ask Alexa to "play my nnnnn playlist", it just plays anything on spotify.   Very annoying!    What am I missing?

No, that didn't work for me.  It just plays any old playlist on spotify.  When I tell it to stop & play MY playlist it just says "resuming spotify" & resumes the rubbish she was playing originally.  Grrrr!

Was that a Spotify playlist or a personal one in your spotify library?

It was a personal playlist

aslongas you follow it it should work just make sure it has a unique name 😉

I have exactly the same thing!

Playlists named as follows;

Craigs Funk

Craigs Dinner

Craigs Soul

Craigs Prince

My Funk

My Dinner

My Soul

My Prince

"I say "alexa play 'xxxxx' playlist (on spotify)"

I shouldn't have to say on spotify because it is my default music service.  What I actualy get played is any random playlist with Funk, Soul, Dinner in the title.

I have to go to my laptop, activate soptify and play from there, kind of defeats the object of the convenience!!

Yes, a seasoned Alexa user told me that was the only way to do it. As you
say, defeats the object.

Why would you havee several playlists with the "exact same name?"  You have 5 kids named Billy?

I think you may need to go back and re read my post?  I don’t see 5 playlists with the same name!

Same issue for me. I cannot get my Echo to play ANY of my personal playlists.

However last night, I played around with it to see if it maybe only picked up playlists created AFTER integrating your Spotify.

I created a playlist call 'Test' and added 4-5 songs. I asked it to "play my Test playlist"... It responded by saying 'playing Test playlist on Spotify' but then played nothing and went silent.

At that point, even on my phone, the play controls were paused on the previous song and done nothing until I manually selected a different song.

It's extremely frustrating and I've been closer to slinging it out the window every time it plays a wrong singer or replies with 'resuming Spotify'.

ivenot used mine in wa while now but i used to have to say alexa play my ***** playlist on spotify

This is driving me up the wall too. There must be some shoddy software coders working for spotify as it has to be their end.

My alexa will go off and find random playlists or simply resume something I listened to previously. Any playlist I create is not there as far as Alexa is concerned.

May well migrate to Amazon Music 

Considering Alexa's lack of basic knowledge, I doubt if it is Spotify. They
want you to use Amazon music so they deliberately make Spotify difficult to
use.

Suggested posts