Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
Samflux

This would be awesome!

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-09-15

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. This is a repost of the following inactive idea. You may also be interested in supporting related ideas here and here.

SMCassingham

Please add this feature! It is as simple as adding something next to the follow selection on the playlist itself. Thanks!

Tansael

Also, maybe a "Reset suggestions" button would be a good idea. I have listened Spotify in the morning at the first few months now it always suggest me slow moods. And I cannot break this.

yaelf417

I made a playlist that had 3 songs on it to help me fall asleep. I played it on repeat overnight for like a month. Now Spotify thinks I listen to meditation music. I tried deleting the sleep playlist and liking a bunch of normal artists but my Discover Weekly hasn't changed.

I wish you could make a playlist and check a box or something to say that you don't want it to be factored into your music "taste." It should be obvious to Spotify that users may browse music genres that they don't actually like. For example- what if I needed to research and collect Bollywood music for a project or something? I should be able to opt out of having that affect my music profile. It's in Spotify's interest to make sure musical outliers don't (irreparably) mutate a user's music profile.

Personally, it's made it next to impossible for me to find new music I like on Spotify, now. I haven't used it for a couple months now and am going to cancel my subscription if my music doesn't go back to normal soon. I shouldn't have the music I listen to while conscious be determined by what I listen to while I'm (literally) asleep. A mere 3 songs, no less.

ehampton
I'm trying to vote for this, and it doesn't seem to be allowing my vote to be added. This is exactly what I've been looking for. My discover weekly playlist has been overtaken by music I listen to while I'm sleeping. This playlist used to be the main reason I chose Spotify over other options. I'm thinking about canceling because the feature I liked most is now useless. It irritates me because it seems like an easy fix when the playlist literally has sleep in the name and is in the Sleep category.
TwentySixRoses

I'm a teacher and I have an instrumental playlist that I play during the school day.  I listen to other music while driving and while I'm at home, but my classroom instrumental playlist dominates my airtime, so it dominates my Discovery recommendations.  I've been contemplating making a second account so I can have the soothing instrumental stuff and the "good stuff" kept seperate.  A "don't include this playlist for Discovery" would be a perfect solution.  I hope this gets greenlit!

mojacardave

I'm a musician and I regularly use Spotify as a tool to find instrumental/choral pieces that would be fun to arrange. Discover doesn't work at all for me now. Also - Spotify seems determined to keep playing music as much as possible. I frequently find that after I've listened to an indie or rock album, I'm suddenly being bombarded by show tunes or a capella groups. Please introduce an option to remove genres/playlists from consideration.

Or at the very least introduce a "Reset Music Profile" option. Mine is totally wrecked.

MissCarlyRenee

Won't let me vote for this, but I agree with what many others have said. This would be a very useful feature that should be added. My Discover Weekly playlists were ruined because I added an Acoustic Covers playlist to listen to while at work (I'm a writer and can't have lyrics while I'm working). 

martybrandon

I also want this.  I use Spotify to provide a variety of trance music for work writing software.  After I created a workout playlist for the gym, mostly from tunes I listened to in highschool, my Release Radar recommendations became contaminated.  They're now upbeat vocal songs with a trancey rhythm, too distracting for work and not inspiring enough for the gym.  The recommendations worked amazingly well before this.

How long before people start pranking their friends by creating a playlist of Boxcar Willie tunes in their Spotify account?