Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't get Spotify to play through my Echo Dot from my phone

I can't get Spotify to play through my Echo Dot from my phone

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

LG Rebel 3

Operating System

Android Nougat (7.0)

My Question or Issue

For some reason, I can't play music from Spotify on my Echo Dot when trying to connect through my phone. I can ask Alexa to play music, and it will, but when I try to connect through my phone, it says "Connecting" for about 30 seconds, then disappears. I tried asking Alexa to play, then tried to change the song from my phone, but after selecting the new song, Spotify disconnects. Does anybody know why this is happening, or how to fix it?

9 Replies

Hey @currentfloat.

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you'd like to listen to Spotify music on an Alexa enabled device, you'll need to add Spotify as a music service. You can read here how.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Phone: ZTE Max XL

Plan: Premium

I am having the exact same problem, which started happening suddenly just a few days ago.  I have reset my router and cable modem, uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify app on my phone, logged out of all devices, unregistered Spotify from the Alexa app, unplugged and reset my Echo Dots, etc.  Spotify cannot connect to speakers from my phone or laptop (but I can play Amazon Music on my speakers from the Alexa phone app without problem), so I seriously suspect that something has changed about Spotify Connect that is preventing all of my devices from connecting to external speakers on the same WiFi network.  And, yes, when I give the Echo Dot a verbal command to "play Spotify," the service starts playing the same song it played several days ago.  When is the next app update scheduled for release?  I pay for a premium account, and I would like to be able to listen to it anywhere in my home, not simply on my phone or laptop.  Thank you. 

Does anyone have any additional advice?  Please see my reply from one week ago.  The moderator's answer does not address my version of the problem, which I suspect is similar to the problem experienced by the author of the original post.  Thank you!

Same problem but with chromecast, it´s something related with the account...

What type of account problem? Mine is a premium account in good standing.  I have logged out of all devices (phone, laptop, desktop PC, tablet, etc.) and logged back in after resetting my Echo Dots. I have done just about everything I can think of short of demanding that Spotify issue an update (which might actually solve my problem).  Until then, I cannot have perfect control over what Spotify will play on my speakers via voice commands (voice recognition often stinks at determining what I have said, and it almost always defaults to a live version of a recording), and no device can communicate with my Echo Dot speakers via Spotify Connect. 

I did everthing, nothing solves, cant connect to any of my chromecasts (i Have premium), but if I use my wife account everything works fine on same network,  i think it´s a problem with sporify connect, when use web spotify it´s stuck on the same song always trying to play in my desktop machine. It´s a weird problem..

Well, since I've had my reply deleted twice, suffice it to say that I had a very unsatisfactory Customer Support experience recently, in which the support staff spent less than 15 minutes analyzing the problem before telling me I need to create a new account and lose my Hulu bundle in the process.  No apologies.  No attempt to make this right.  No effort put into investigating the problem.

i have the same problem 
i cant get it to cast on any speaker
either google home or alexa
tried all the erase, reinstalls and nothing
do you have a solution on this?

I am having the same issue with my spotify and alexa dot. I have reset and updated everything. I have unlinked and relinked multiple times. Logged out and back in. This has happened to me in the past but seems to stop after a few hours. Is there an update coming out to repair this? 

Suggested posts