Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

In-Car USB Audio/Control with Windows Phone

In-Car USB Audio/Control with Windows Phone

I just upgraded to a Windows 8 phone (from 7) and was pleased to find an update to the Spotify app.  It is working much better now.

Just for kicks, I tried the Bluetooth streaming on my Ford Sync and I'm happy to see the play controls are working now (track forward, back, play, pause, etc)

I had been using an old iPhone as a music player in my Ford Escape because it can play music across USB which is much higher quality than the bluetooth streaming protocol.

My question is - is there any way I can plug my Windows 8 phone into any device (Ford Sync or an aftermarket deck) via USB that will allow me to listen to and control spotify through USB instead of Bluetooth?

thanks,

Dan

8 Replies

Sorry for bumping an old (I assume) post, but I have the exact same question. I'm rather frustrated that I cannot play Spotify music through my Ford's USB port. My iPad's Spotify app worked perfectly through it, but I cannot get my Windows Phone to work.

Just for the record, I have Windows Phone 8 on a Lumia 521.

Any help would be appreciated.

Isn't this more related to how the car stereo works and not the app in the phone?

If the car stereo mapped the USB as network device I suspect it would work perfectly, but otherwise USB is only used in a car stereo as a storage and Spotify songs can not be played as single songs on a storage but needs the app to play them.

If that's so, then why does my iPad play music from Spotify through my car's audio system? (This works with both downloaded "Offline" songs and songs that are streamed through the internet).

I did find a workaround, but it's very inefficient. I connect the phone through USB, turn on Bluetooth, and then, when given an option to select media on my car, I have to scroll down to Bluetooth streaming. The option for bluetooth streaming is only under the USB menu. This works, but requires Bluetooth to be on. Additionally I cannot see any song information (such as artist and track title). It's also disappointing since it works through Bluetooth, why wouldn't it work through the normal USB?

erm.....can you play music through your car audio via USB using a different player? If not then I don't see what spotify can do to make your phone compatible with the frod sync system. The full compatibility list is on the Ford site.

@jwylot

-_- Yes... please see my first post where I wrote:  "My iPad's Spotify app worked perfectly through it, but I cannot get my Windows Phone to work."

As in, I plug my iPad into the USB of the car, and the car then plays music from the iPad and the Spotify app that it is running.

I'll rephrase that - can you play music from your windows phone through the ford sync usb connection using another music programme?

I'm not implying it is a Spotify problem, I'm just asking a question in a place where there is a chance that a knowledgeable Spotify and Windows phone user has found a way.

Seems I lost the plot along the way. Sorry 🙂

Suggested posts