Is Spotify really dropping Squeezebox support?

Solved!

Is Spotify really dropping Squeezebox support?

aapthorp
Regular

I just had a message flash up from the Spotify plugin on iPeng to checkout an important message at http://mysqueezebox.com/byeByeSpotify which redirects to https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/why-cant-i-use-the-spotify-app-on-my-spe... telling me that Spotify support on Squeezebox will cease by July 20th. But elsewhere Spotify is promoting to listen to Spotify on Logitech Squeezebox and no mention that it's only for the next 7 days.

Which is it Spotify? time to return to listening to my ripped CD collection?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

bon_scott
Regular

Thanks I will try to run a squeezbox server and see if it fixes the issue after July 20 but I still belibe it's a **bleep**ty move by spotify. We bought a second premium account so my kids could listen to their music on a dedicated box, my son loves it and now al the sudden he will not be able too. I guess i will just stop pying my subscription with a few days notice.

Looks like spotify is loosing one more premium subscription over this.....

View solution in original post

Solution!

SkullOne
Regular

@bon_scott wrote:

2: This one bothers me the most (maybe i'm confguring something wrong): The Spotty plugin allows you to play via the squeezebox from your phone. This is fundamentally different. In the old system my kids could search and play music using only the Hardware interface of the squeezebox (dial button & display). Now they would need an extra phone (and guess what, the are not gonne use mine and I wil not give my 6 year old a personal cellphone) to pick the music and stream it to the box.

I have Spotty running on my own server and you can use your Squeezebox's controls to operate it the same way as the old 'app'. No phone or web-interface is needed for operation. Though setting it up through it's web interface is convenient and needed. The 'app' replaces the old 'app' if that makes any sense to you.

Solution!

sj_ferguson
Casual Listener

True, and I certainly applaud the external community for keeping it going.  However, even as a reasonably computer-savvy person, I looked at that thread, look at my Synology NAS, then look at the support for Deezer and simply take the easy way out.  See you later, Spotify.  Music streaming services are interchangeable.  This seems to be  something Spotify doesn't realise.  If Spotify drops support of my Squeezebox devices, then I prefer to subscribe to Deezer than jump through hoops to get Spotty working on my NAS.  No hard feelings, but my 20 bucks a month goes elsewhere now.  They won't miss me, I won't miss them.

Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

2 Prenium Subscriptions that will not be renewed

Bye Bye Spotify

My annoncement for today and future

Solution!

francissull-299
Casual Listener

Not sure why everyone is trying so hard to get spotify to play on their squeezebox. I did have spotify premium but after their drop of support for st I simply cancelled my subscription and subscribed to deezer who still supports st. I am very happy with deezer and see no difference except maybe their streaming is consistently of a higher quality. Forget spotify and subscribe to deezer.

53 Replies

SkullOne
Regular

Frede wrote: 

I bet your old Denon receiver does not have any software clients at all, so this does not really apply. For how long do you think that Spotify should have to  support, all their technologies? 10 years, 15 years? Do you also think that this should apply to all other kind of software services?

Spotify provide an API to which 3rd parties can integrate and support. It is in their interest to make this integration as easy and attractive as possible which means supporting new technology (Web API). It is the 3rd parties interest to keep their devices up to date to support the functionality made available through this API. 

Saying that Spotify does not have to "anything" to keep the old services running is of course not true. The cost of maintaining software is not zero. If so, why are not all software ever released still supported, the cost should be negligable, right? 

Maximizing profits and keeping happy customers go hand in hand. 

Ehhh, you are kidding, right? Maximising profits usually do not go hand in hand with keeping customers happy. Especially large(r) companies focus on shareholders nowadays. Not on clients. Clients are just a means to get money and short term profit is tempting. If you think the world works in other ways go look up how the 2007-2008 financial crisis started. And while you are at it, go look up the Panama Papers. Most of the money in the world is kept by a happy few. Fact! Customer satisfaction should be #1 on a company's list, but it's an illusion. However, we digress. 

I never said the cost of maintaining software (I actually referred to 'services') is zero. But 'maintaining' software is actually very cheap. Especially for a company like Spotify. Developing a new API isn't. However creating a hybrid setup lies well withing Spotify's capabilities. They are just making their problem ours so it won't be their problem anymore. 

My old Denon AV receiver has software in it (called firmware). It supports all kinds of STANDARDS (AC3, DTS etc. but also FM and AM lol). Newer standards like Dolby Neo etc. are not supported. But I didn't expect it to do that. Spotify on the other hand are changing their 'standard' (with zero notice) and this breaks functionality for older devices. They shouldn't do that so casually as they are doing now. 

While it is true Spotify offers an API I bet most of their clients don't even know what an API exactly is. Spotify marketing doesn't say anything about for how long they 'support' a given 'Spotify standard'. Maybe they should be clear about that? They don't seem to be clear on why the current change is even needed. They don't elaborate.

Spotify's reason for being is we pay a flat fee and it plays on a multitude of devices. The way they make it work technically isn't what is important here. I couldn't care less if they used pigeons to make it work. As long as it does and they at least seem to care.

I think it is silly all software ever released should still be supported. However the period how long is what matters. How long do you think is fair? Does it depend on what kind of software it is and for what purpose? Does the company size make a difference? Etc. Imho these audio devices (which Spotify was a selling point for and have been sold actively even after discontinuation) should be supported at least 10 years. 5 years is too short and wasteful. Planned or forced obsolescence should be illegal (only in France it now is, but I assume most of Europe will follow shortly). It is and will never be in the consumer's best interest, period. Logitech might be to blame too, but Spotify broke support from their end. Again, like I pointed out several times, with zero notice. You'd think a company like theirs would plan these things out. "No sirree... We are just a bunch of guys suffering from the Peter principle." Yeah... we figured that...

Frede
Music Fan

Bottom line... Logitech killed SB not Spotify. Had Logitech supported the device, they could have updated the Spotify app on the SB. I will not address the other ranting. 

aapthorp
Regular

I think it is silly all software ever released should still be supported. However the period how long is what matters. How long do you think is fair? Does it depend on what kind of software it is and for what purpose? Does the company size make a difference? Etc. Imho these audio devices (which Spotify was a selling point for and have been sold actively even after discontinuation) should be supported at least 10 years. 5 years is too short and wasteful. Planned or forced obsolescence should be illegal (only in France it now is, but I assume most of Europe will follow shortly). It is and will never be in the consumer's best interest, period. Logitech might be to blame too, but Spotify broke support from their end. Again, like I pointed out several times, with zero notice. You'd think a company like theirs would plan these things out. "No sirree... We are just a bunch of guys suffering from the Peter principle." Yeah... we figured that...

That sums it up quite nicely. Well actually it may be worse..a real sign of what is in store as we becoming increasing slaves to technology.

I'm not so sure it's a bunch of guys?

I thought I might get 'someone' from Spotify to answer my original question by contacting them as recommended on twitter "@SpotifyCares"  (really?).

Spotify is run by bots!

After trying to explain to the bot what a post in their community forum is I eventually got a response from a slightly more advanced AI or possibly human that 'they're sorry for the short notice" and I should rest assured that my feedback was being passed on to the right team! My mind is at ease...

cear
Casual Listener

I have recieved the same notice. I am still not sure whether it effects only the spotify app on the sqezzebox or also the LMS server solution running on my RasPi. Overall, I join those who are not happy with the short warning time. I have one additional argument for a much longer support time. Spotify is much more than a software, it is a way to sell music. Imagine you would have bought on of the first CD players some 30 years  ago, and five years later somebody would have told you that due to an update requirement you could not longer use CD's on your device. The new way to sell music via streaming requires some continutity in the complete system (hardware, software, provider) otherwise we, the consumers, should return to other ways of buying our music.

johnkramer
Regular

So Spotty seems to be working, so I am OK for now. If you were annoyed/angered like I was, go install the Spotty add in in LMS and it should be good to go. 

bon_scott
Regular

In this case it's spotify who is dropping libspotify support, The Squeezebox server is continued by a community, they rely on the libraries spotify provides. The problem is that the new Spotty plugin (developped by a community member) uses the new spotify library which only allows to sream to the box (libspot). What spotify is dropping is the possibility to navigate the content for any system that used libspotify.

There is a difference.

Frede
Music Fan

Yes, Spotify is dropping the support, which was announced years ago. Any supported device has had plenty of time to update their software to the new APIs. My point is that it cannot be expected that Spotify maintains old APIs indefinitely, especially for devices that are not even supported by their own manufacturers, Logitech in this case. 

bon_scott
Regular

My point is not the change but the fact that the new API has (from my understanding) reduced features. I'm ok with dropping an antique API, the squeezebox was continued by a community that also adapted to the change (see Spotty plugin). But my issue is that now you need a phone to play music, the old system allowed to navigate and choose music on the device. 

Again, maybe the way Spotty is written or how I configured is wrong. But not being able to choose what to play on any device (Speaker, HIFI etc) without a phone or tablet is the problem. This is the feature that was dropped by spotify willingly. So what spotify is doing here is not just forcing the migration to a new subsystem (which I'm ok with) but removing a very useful feature.

Basically now I need a speaker (which cost 150 CHF and upwards) or I need to mc Gyver a media server (from some Hardawre I also need to get) and continue to use my squeezebox (and I'm fine with that). BUT: whatever I do I will need an extra phone or tablet to navigate my collection and this sucks. 

This is just a way of forcing people to trash perfectly working hardware and by new stuff, that's what makes this a **bleep** move.

Frede
Music Fan

I totally agree that any SB replacement like Spotty or ChromeCast/Gramofon is a inferior solution to the SB. But bottom line is: Logitech killed the product, not Spotify.  

Solution!

bon_scott
Regular

Thanks I will try to run a squeezbox server and see if it fixes the issue after July 20 but I still belibe it's a **bleep**ty move by spotify. We bought a second premium account so my kids could listen to their music on a dedicated box, my son loves it and now al the sudden he will not be able too. I guess i will just stop pying my subscription with a few days notice.

Looks like spotify is loosing one more premium subscription over this.....

sj_ferguson
Casual Listener

I voted with my wallet, after being a long-time paying customer. These boots are walking right out of here.  Other services offer lossless music and Squeezebox support...

johnkramer
Regular

I'm stuck with a premium subscription through December. I'd like to be prorated and given my money back for the rest of the subscription term. Is that possible? 

SUGGESTED POSTS