Is Spotify really dropping Squeezebox support?

Solved!

Is Spotify really dropping Squeezebox support?

aapthorp
Regular

I just had a message flash up from the Spotify plugin on iPeng to checkout an important message at http://mysqueezebox.com/byeByeSpotify which redirects to https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/why-cant-i-use-the-spotify-app-on-my-spe... telling me that Spotify support on Squeezebox will cease by July 20th. But elsewhere Spotify is promoting to listen to Spotify on Logitech Squeezebox and no mention that it's only for the next 7 days.

Which is it Spotify? time to return to listening to my ripped CD collection?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

bon_scott
Regular

Thanks I will try to run a squeezbox server and see if it fixes the issue after July 20 but I still belibe it's a **bleep**ty move by spotify. We bought a second premium account so my kids could listen to their music on a dedicated box, my son loves it and now al the sudden he will not be able too. I guess i will just stop pying my subscription with a few days notice.

Looks like spotify is loosing one more premium subscription over this.....

View solution in original post

Solution!

SkullOne
Regular

@bon_scott wrote:

2: This one bothers me the most (maybe i'm confguring something wrong): The Spotty plugin allows you to play via the squeezebox from your phone. This is fundamentally different. In the old system my kids could search and play music using only the Hardware interface of the squeezebox (dial button & display). Now they would need an extra phone (and guess what, the are not gonne use mine and I wil not give my 6 year old a personal cellphone) to pick the music and stream it to the box.

I have Spotty running on my own server and you can use your Squeezebox's controls to operate it the same way as the old 'app'. No phone or web-interface is needed for operation. Though setting it up through it's web interface is convenient and needed. The 'app' replaces the old 'app' if that makes any sense to you.

Solution!

sj_ferguson
Casual Listener

True, and I certainly applaud the external community for keeping it going.  However, even as a reasonably computer-savvy person, I looked at that thread, look at my Synology NAS, then look at the support for Deezer and simply take the easy way out.  See you later, Spotify.  Music streaming services are interchangeable.  This seems to be  something Spotify doesn't realise.  If Spotify drops support of my Squeezebox devices, then I prefer to subscribe to Deezer than jump through hoops to get Spotty working on my NAS.  No hard feelings, but my 20 bucks a month goes elsewhere now.  They won't miss me, I won't miss them.

Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

2 Prenium Subscriptions that will not be renewed

Bye Bye Spotify

My annoncement for today and future

Solution!

francissull-299
Casual Listener

Not sure why everyone is trying so hard to get spotify to play on their squeezebox. I did have spotify premium but after their drop of support for st I simply cancelled my subscription and subscribed to deezer who still supports st. I am very happy with deezer and see no difference except maybe their streaming is consistently of a higher quality. Forget spotify and subscribe to deezer.

53 Replies
SUGGESTED POSTS