Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with shuffling beyond a playlist.

Issues with shuffling beyond a playlist.

On my free account, most of my custom playlists seem to inevitably begin playing songs from all over the place as if the playlist was a radio station regardless of whether the playlist has enough tracks (it does). I'm alright with this usually because it extends the playlist's shelf life at the cost of some control over its contents.

Today, however, I decided to make a playlist using the 31 songs from the soundtrack of The Grand Budapest Hotel, almost exclusively made up of goofy sounding classical tunes. I've tried shuffling this playlist twice now and shuffling the album directly itself but while I have heard about five or six songs from the album (one of them twice already), they've been mixed with these particularly offputting song selections:

*Katy Perry (feat. Kanye West) - E.T. (twice!)

*Adele - Someone Like You

*Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

*Rhianna - Diamonds

*Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

*Lady Gaga - Just Dance

*Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines

*Rihanna - Where Have You Been

*LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

I know that radio stations aren't meant to produce identical songs on repeat and I know that as an unpaying member I may have less choice in the way I play music but I also have to sit through five spotify commercials in a row insisting that I'm able to shuffle my playlists and that My Music is actually my music.

"...with spotify free you can play their entire catologue on shuffle."

I'm not sure why this particular playlist is choosing to play almost exclusively top hits from the past decade or so but it's been amusingly annoying. I'd guess that whatever algorithm builds up similar tracks is defaulting to some list of popular tracks. Can anyone offer an explanation of why this is happening or why Spotify has, in this case, suddenly turned into Pandora with its endless catering to hit songs?

**After an hour or two the playlists seems to have refreshed and is now playing properly similar songs but it still refuses to play from the given playlist more than about one in three.

0 Replies

Suggested posts