Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Last.fm double scrobble

Solved!

Last.fm double scrobble

Since the Last.fm update (when you connect via the website and not the settings), I have noticed that sometimes songs get scrobbled twice. I haven't been able to figure out the scenario when it happens, but it has occured both when playing from iPhone and from Mac. 

Here is a screenshot of some recently played tracks, and I know for a fact that I only played each of them once. Still, they get logged twice.

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 21.50.36.png

By looking at the time, some of them are the same. It seems as if the second, faulty scrobble is sent at the same time as the current track.

Any ideas?

Spotify Premium

iPhone 6s - iOS 11.4.1

iMac Early 2008 - OSX 10.11.6

Sweden

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, welcome to the community, and thanks for posting your question. Do you happen to have a version of Spotify that still includes the last.fm scrobbling option in the program's settings? I know last.fm mentions that should be disabled once you've connected through the website as that is something that can lead to double scrobbles. So, the first thing I would do would definitely be to check that on both your Mac and iPhone versions of Spotify.

If that doesn't work, you might also try logging out and logging back in to Spotify on both devices or even doing a clean reinstall of the software as that can often resolve any bugs that could be occurring. 

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey, welcome to the community, and thanks for posting your question. Do you happen to have a version of Spotify that still includes the last.fm scrobbling option in the program's settings? I know last.fm mentions that should be disabled once you've connected through the website as that is something that can lead to double scrobbles. So, the first thing I would do would definitely be to check that on both your Mac and iPhone versions of Spotify.

If that doesn't work, you might also try logging out and logging back in to Spotify on both devices or even doing a clean reinstall of the software as that can often resolve any bugs that could be occurring. 

dinomightSpotify Star

That makes total sense, that an old application is messing it up. It was the case on my Mac, but the iPhone had the updated version. Anyhow, I did a clean reinstall on both devices, and have been messing around with playing, restarting apps, switching devices etc for some time now, and haven't got the error again. So updated software and/or clean reinstall seems to do the trick. Thanks! 🙂

Awesome, glad that fixed it for you. Happy listening!
dinomightSpotify Star

Hi! I had exactly the same case as yours: a real mess with duplicates (not only one-by-one, they could appear a bit later). THIS SOLUTION helped me to delete all the duplicates.deduper.png

I wish there was some kind of "**bleep**'s Guide" to fixing this issue. I have on frickin' idea how to properly set up scrobbling, so whether I am using Spotify on my Android phone, on my Xbox One, or from my laptop, all throughout the day, I won't get multiple copies of the same individual play of a song again and again. Sometimes the duplicates are listed right next to each other. Some times there's a bit of a gap. It's just frustrating because I never know where to have the settings to track my plays turned on and where they should be off. It would be awesome that no matter what hardware I am using or how many different devices I use throughout the day, that all I get is a clear and accurate record of what I listened to.

I get that it's probably due to the fact that there are different software and OS being used, but for crying out loud, it's 2020. Can't there be a little bit more unity in this regard? I'm just complaining about things that don't matter. Pay me no mind.

Hey @V1SCO,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll happily help you sort this one out.

Since Last.fm is not behaving as expected, it's a good idea to remove it's access to your Spotify account. You can afterwards re-establish the connection. You can learn how to do this in this Support Article. 

If that doesn't do the trick, you can reach out to Last.fm's Customer Care here. They can instruct you further on how to set up the app so that it runs correctly.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This issue is only happening on my Android now. I tried doing a clean reinstall but that didn't work so how do I fix the scrobbling option on Android? I did it on my computer and it fixed that but I still have the issue on my phone.

Hey @RydogTiger,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation. 

This type of issue could happen when the your Spotify and Last.FM account get synced in the device. In case you haven't tried before, we'd recommend reconnecting your accounts by following the process described in this article

If the issue persists, and if possible, would you mind checking if this happens on a different Android device? This will give us a better look at your case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello! I've been experiencing duplicate scrobbles for a few days now, only when using Spotify on desktop as far as I know. I only use the Spotify Scrobbling application to scrobble, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting a few times but the error persists. I also tried reinstalling Spotify desktop app, to no avail too. I've been using Spotify to scrobble since 2014, and this has never happened before. The duplicate scrobbles seem to appear at least 20 minutes after listening to the track for the first time, and the time of scrobble appears as 9/10 hours before I indeed listened to the track, and this happens to every single track. I'm really curious to how and why it started.

Hey @DamonDays,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

Great initial troubleshooting! We've located this guide with some additional steps you can try.

If none of the above suggestions do the trick, you can also contact Last.fm's Customer Care, so they can offer further help. You can find how to contact them here.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

AlejaRModerator

I recently experienced an issue with duplicate Spotify scrobbles on Last.fm, sharing the cause and resolution here for others' reference as it did not require uninstalling and reinstalling in my case-

Cause:

• I had the Spotify android app installed on my phone and also had the Last.fm Android app installed on my phone.
  • I had my Last.fm account linked to my Spotify account to scrobble (setup via Last.fm account settings on their website) .
  • I also had scrobbling for the Spotify app enabled within the Last.fm android app

I found I was getting duplicates because it was scrobbling via the account link, and also via the Last.fm Android app which was looking at the Spotify Android player.

Resolution:

I resolved the issue by disabling scrobbling for Spotify within the Last.fm Android app, and keeping it scrobbling via account link only. Uninstalling and re-installing was not required.

Hope this helps anyone with similar issue.

It sounds like this is basically solved if you use an Android app. I've never used an android app and only ever use Spotify on an iPhone or Windows PC. Neither of these are the older versions of Spotify that let you link to Last.fm and I'm only scrobbling via the Last.fm connect setting. The double scrobbling is also REALLY inconsistent; it'll go months without doing it and then relentlessly double scrobble for a week or so, before going back to normal without any obvious cause. What on earth is going on here?

Suggested posts