Licensing music for project

Plan

Free

Country UK

Device

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

Hi,

I need some advice regarding use of Spotify tracks..

I have created an online wellbeing project that uses music as its basis - people listen to classical music and learn some techniques to help them feel less worried, anxious etc.

I have a list of music that I wanted to use from Spotify s part of the project - some is PD, others still in copyright. Do I need a license and from where? I am going to be using 5-6 minutes of each piece...any help would be appreciated

6 Replies

Hey @Nickcutts73,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Please note that Spotify is intended only for private, non-commercial use. In this case one possible solution would be to use Spotify for Brands for your project. Alternatively you can reach out to the labels representing the individual artist. They will be happy to answer all your copyright questions.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Thanks for this.

To be clear, people taking part would follow a link to a piece of music and  listen privately on their device. We are a charity and therefore this would not be for commercial use...

Is that acceptable use?

Hey @Nickcutts73,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We recommend that you reach out to the Support Team of Spotify for Brands and share the details of your project with them.

They will review it and get back to you on all copyright questions and suggest a feasible solution. You can do this here.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator

Thanks for this. It takes me to Spotify advertising, which this really isn't. It's just about use of music and whether I need a license or not. Can you help?

Hey @Nickcutts73,

Thanks for your post.

The Brands team also handles inquiries similar to yours. You can contact them and they will review your situation as soon as possible.

Hope that answers your question! Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with.

Mihail Moderator

i want to use clips of songs on instagram and facebook posts etc. I see others using songs all the time but I have a hard time believing that they got specific permission for every single song from every single artist. what are the rules there?

Suggested posts