Loud volume ads

Loud volume ads

andtherainfall

I'd like to report seeing this issue in a number of ads in the Mexico City market. The ad volume is disproportionately higher in comparison with the volume of any music I might have been listening to. The main culprits in this case are a couple of ads by Citibanamex promoting two forthcoming shows in the city (Florence + the Machine and Billy Idol). I'm attaching screenshots below. Although right now I'm only reporting two ads, I've noticed that most of the ads produced by Citibanamex follow this trend of being too loud.

spotifyad.PNG spotifyad2.PNG

What are Spotify's guidelines for ad volume for those who want their ads to go up on the platform and how are they enforced? Sometimes it feels like companies compress their ads beyond reasonable limits in order for them to be noticed above the music and other ads, but it gets to the point where it causes physical discomfort to listen to them, and it feels rather irresponsible from both sides. I would hope for stricter regulations regarding ad submission and better quality control and content review for ads hoping to be broadcasted. Hopefully the ad can be modified or removed and stiuations like these can be prevented before the ads go live.

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting these ads here!

Could you make sure to provide us with the following details (feel free to use this as a template):

• Device the ad appeared on:
  • Operating system:
  • Exact Spotify app version:

• Is it a visual or audio ad?

• Name of ad:

• Rough time/date you heard the advert:

• Reason for complaint:

Once we have that, we'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

Thanks!

171 Replies

snarebear41
Casual Listener
  • Rough time/date you heard the advert.

3/14/2019 ~3:00 PM Central Time

• Platform the issue occurred on (eg. Mobile, PlayStation, Desktop, etc) 

Desktop / Mac

• Operating System (iOS/Android or desktop/Mac).

macOS High Sierra

• Version number of the Spotify app.

1.1.0.237.g378f6f25 - I see that there is an update. Perhaps that will fix the issue.

• The market/ country you're in

USA

• What the ad was for

Didn't catch what it was for. Was too busy turning the volume all the way down.

• What music/ podcast you were listening to

The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King - The Complete Recordings

• Did it have disruptive sound effects like car noises? 

It disrupted my ear drums in that I was wearing headphones. Seriously careless of whoever controls the volume of ads. Potentially damaging to people's hearing.

Peter

Hey @snarebear41.

Thanks for providing us with those details.

Unfortunately we can't pass this info on to the relevant team without knowing specifically which ad this happened with.

We suggest you keep an ear out for that ad, and if it occurs again then make a note of the ad and let us know.

Thanks! Let us know if you have any other questions - we'll be right here.

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

snarebear41
Casual Listener

@Peter Enterprise Car Rental ad heard today ~2:35. Same details as above.

Peter

Hey @snarebear41.

Thanks for reporting that ad.

We've passed this info on to the right team, who will be looking into it.

Let us know if you hear any other ads that are louder than they should be.

Thanks!

PeterModerator

FunnyGamer

Just had one.

Name of ad or product that was being advertised. : restore nursing home funding paid for by long term care advocacy project

Rough time/date you heard the advert. : 6:11pm

Platform the issue occurred on (eg. Mobile, PlayStation, Desktop, etc):  Desktop

Operating System (iOS/Android or desktop/Mac): Windows 10

Version : 1.1.1.348.g9064793a (Windows Store version)

Market: Upstate NY, USA

ad: restore nursing home funding paid for by long term care advocacy project

what listening to: Rishloo, album Feathergun

disruptive sound fx: no, just very high audio compared to everything else, I'm wearing headphones and my ears actually hurt while the lady was talking.

Peter

Hey @FunnyGamer and @Epic_Wink,

Thanks for reporting those ads to us.

Rest assured that we have passed on your information to the right team, who will be looking into this.

Take care!

PeterModerator

Daisy
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone!

We really appreciate taking the time to report this here in the Community. We now have the right team looking into this.

Keep in mind that we recently implemented this feature.

However, if you're experiencing certain ads being loud despite that, let us know the following details (if you haven't already), so we can get them reported to the right folks:

• Name of ad or product that was being advertised.

Any additional info like screenshots of the ad would be helpful.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

newwavegurly
Casual Listener

I've been struggling as to where to post this, but this seems to be as good of a place as any.

The current Tide ad running on Spotify is obnoxiously loud. It's someone singing about a sweater and every time it comes on, I've been muting the sound on my computer. I don't typically have problems with the commercials, but this one is just obnoxious.

Please see about equalizing it properly, as I see you said you are supposed to be doing already.

I forgot to add this information:
MacOS Desktop
March 19, 2020 approx. 10am EST

Happy to share other information if you need it.

hCVZjp
Visitor
  • Name of ad or product that was being advertised: Euromasters (German ad)
  • Rough time/date you heard the advert: Past two weeks, at least in every other ad break
  • Mobile (Android) and Desktop (Windows)
  • Version number of the Spotify app: 8.5.29.828 (Android), fairly recent version on Windows

LordSpyx

Name of ad or product that was being advertised.

Outpatient Center, Sussex Campus (Cancer Awareness)

Rough time/date you heard the advert.

6:50pm EST — June 18th, 2019

Platform the issue occurred on (eg. Mobile, PlayStation, Desktop, etc) 

Desktop

Operating System (iOS/Android or desktop/Mac).

Windows

Version number of the Spotify app.

1.1.8.439.g8502297d (Windows Store version)

Additional Information:

—I was listening to Shinedown

—Link to the advertiser information can be found here

This ad was horribly loud compared to my music. I had my volume up pretty high, and the ad doubled in volume. Blew my ear drums out.

Katerina

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate taking the time to report this here in the Community.

Keep in mind that we recently implemented this feature.

However, if you're experiencing certain ads being loud despite that, let us know the following details (if you haven't already), so we can get them reported to the right folks:

• Name of ad or product that was being advertised.

Any additional info like screenshots of the ad would be helpful.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

sora2key

Screenshot_20210513-164937_Spotify.jpg

 Here is an ad that was extremely loud. I would not like to go to the Ear doctor for using Spotify Services. Please normalize ad volumes, thank you.

Jeremy

Hi there @sora2key,

Thank you for your reply and screenshot.

Can you let us know the following so that we can report it to the right team:

• Device the ad appeared on:
  • Operating system:
  • Exact Spotify app version:

• Is it a visual or audio ad?

• Name of ad:

• Rough time/date you heard the advert:

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

aurantiumdulcis
Casual Listener

I'm sorry, but I doubt that feature was implemented. My Spotify is updated, and I only see the same "normalize volume for all songs" (songs, not ads) setting as before, and most ads are still louder than the volume I am listening to. Perhaps not 100 times louder, but still louder. Example: I'm listening to background music while working in order to focus (with headphones), in a volume where I can just barely understand the lyrics, yet when an ad comes, I can hear what they say all too perfecty and have to manually turn the volume a bit down (couple of millimeters with the mouse) to avoid the distraction. With that new volume, I still hear the ad softly, but when the music starts again I can't hear it; see the difference?

And that happens with all of them. I must say, the only ones that I hear at the same volume as my music are Spotify own ads, so thanks for that, but you still need to control all other ads. There's no point in reporting every single ad here because the list would never end. And it's not that they are incredibly loud, but they are still louder than the volume I have chosen. And, as others said, if you are listening to softer genres such as classical, instrumental or relax sounds, the difference is very noticeable and very frustrating. 

SO, what I understand from it all is that maybe they are forced to follow a volume proportion to the music that can be a 10%-20% louder maximum, and most of them of course choose the maximum setting allowed in the respective country. If the laws of one country don't regulate that, I wonder if you (Spotify) have any power over them. They do that in TV as well, so... I am sure they will argue that they follow the regulations. Or that we only "perceive" them as louder because of their more attention-calling voice tone and sounds (yeah, sure). Well, if that's what it is, I don't know what we can do against it :(. But we would be very, very grateful if Spotify could agree on a real, exact same proportion to music, volume normalization with all their advertisers, everywhere in the world. 

SpaceDragn
Music Fan

This issue has been dragging on for quite a few years.  Of course Spotify could control the volume of their ads.  They do it perfectly well with the music.

At this point it's pretty clear that this forum is not monitored by humans, or at least not ones who are willing and able to correct the issue.  The Spotify "moderators" seem to be bots that produce canned platitudes about forwarding our concerns to "the right team", which likely means the trash bin.

One way to get some relief, if you want to stick with Spotify, is to download an ad blocker.  I found a free one that blocks most (not all) of the ads, so those annoying, blaring commercials are replaced with sweet silence.  I highly recommend it.  I won't name the program here, but it isn't hard to find.

AJreborn
Regular

Name of ad/product: NTL Homecoming 2020

Date/time heard: 11/28/2019, 12:19 PM

Platform/OS: Windows 10 Desktop

Version number: 1.1.20.510.g7d28aaaa (Microsoft Store version)

AJreborn
Regular

Name of ad/product: Spotify Premium

Date/time heard: 11/14/2019, 1:54 AM

Version number: 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9 (Microsoft Store version)

AJreborn
Regular

Name of ad/product: Hulu

Date/time heard: 11/13/2019, 2:54 AM

AJreborn
Regular

Name of ad/product: Pampers

Date/time heard: 11/12/2019, 9:10 PM

seabertson

Why are the community mods lying? Think we believe it? This issue isn't being investigated. 

Please stop linking to that "resolved issue" thread. It's fake, and doesn't solve the issue. You guys are trolling your own community.

es02
  • Name of ad or product that was being advertised. Hinge
  • Rough time/date you heard the advert. Every single day for the last week
  • Platform the issue occurred on: Mobile
  • Operating System. Android
  • Version number of the Spotify app. 8.5.10.774
  • Market: Australia

As I have communicated directly to Hinge, starting your ad with an ear piercing bleep without warning coupled with Spotify's insistence on raising the Ad volume 5-10db above previous track is causing actual hearing damage.

I am within a hairsbreadth of uninstalling permanently.

SUGGESTED POSTS