Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9+, Chromecast Gen 3

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Noticed today that volume when casting to Chromecast is significantly lower than normal. I've reinstalled the Spotify app and did a factory reset on the Chromecast itself, but that didn't resolve the problem.  Volume is like normal on all other apps I can cast with and there doesn't seem to be a problem with my system.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this issue so far.

If you're still experiencing a low volume output on your Chromecast products, we recommend you head to this Ongoing Issue to add your + VOTE and make sure to leave all the relevant information, so that the right folks can get to the bottom of this.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

View solution in original post

85 Replies

I noticed that too, I have 2 music systems, running a Yamaha receiver with a Chromecast attached to it, then I play my Spotify (Premium) via iPad or iPhone and cast it to my Chromecast, I noticed that the volume is low, I used to be at 18db on my Yamaha, now I'm at almost 12 to 10db already, I have reset everything but I am getting the same result.

There 3 ways for me to cast the music,

1. iPad to Chromecast (low volume)

2. iPad to Yamaha via Airplay (volume improves a bit)

3. iPad to Yamaha via Spotify connect (Built in Spotify App on the Yamaha - The best volume so far...)

I've noticed the same problem, beginning a few days ago.   My Spotify music plays st normal volume on my Galaxy S9+ phone, but now when I cast to Chromecast, my Spotify music volume is much lower than previously.   Why is that?  Is there a simple fix?

It is exactly the same here. Casting to either Chromecast or Chromecast Audio is resulting in a loss of estimated 1/3 of volume (connection via optical cable to amp) over the last 3 days. Though I can increase the volume via my amp the loss of information and thus sound quality is clearly audible and IMHO not acceptable. Also I assume that Spotify won't pay the higher electricity bill for me. With other apps casting volume is fine.

Btw, one of Spotify's biggest competitors opened their streaming library to Chromecast after years of dispute recently. Though I'm no fan of this competitor, they let me enjoy music over the last weekend after the frustration of deinstalling and resetting devices/checking cables etc.

I have a premonition of what it could be but I'm first looking forward to receiving a confirmation of this problem asap. Thank you!

Ok here’s an update, I spent 2 hours chatting with Google’s tech support yesterday, the issue was escalated already to the higher department. I made a short video clip showing the problem, I showed them the huge volume drop between using the casting feature to the Chromecast from using the Spotify Connect, it was huge,..! Even when both were just on 20db volume level. 

According to the tech department, they are already aware of the issue and they are trying to figure out a fix, compatibility issues between Apple iOs and Google is their only answer. However, what bugs me yesterday is that, when they asked me if I have an android phone or tablet to test out, so that we can isolate the problem between Apple and Android, and I tested out a Chromebook ~ casting Spotify, the result was the same, volume level was low and weak, so in my mind, it is nothing different between Apple iOs and Android. 

They sent me an email last night informing me that alot of people are already filing a report of the same problem, and hopefully, they’d be able to find a fix for it. For now, I’d keep using Spotify Connect to enjoy music and my system. I even sent a message to Spotify about the issue, sending them the video clip as well, and they too are doing an investigation on the issue. The loss in dynamics is huge, its like someone is throttling the connection from the source to the chromecast losing alot of dynamics and quality on the audio,...

Keep everyone posted if you stumble anything about the issue...

Thanks for all the work you did to try to resolve this! I have an Android phone so agree the issue is unrelated to your iPhone. Must be Google Chromecast or Spotify. I wonder if other streaming equipment users are having the same problem?

The low volume problem seems to have been fixed!  Are you guys finding that too?

I'm still getting low volume. Not fixed for me.

Oh, no! I wonder why? I hope yours is fixed soon!
##- Pleaseur reply above this line -##
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Yes! It's working for me too.

Working for me now too!

Do pardon the very late reply,

Was busy with the family, here's an update,

2 days after we filed the report to Google, everything went back to its normal volume levels... Am hoping Google would reply back to my email thanking them and asking them what happened,...

But anyhow, am glad everything is fixed,..

• Still having this problem on android Oreo.

PLEASE FIX SPOTIFY! I HAVE A PAID ACCOUNT I USE IN MY SOUND ENGINEERING WORK AND CANNOT USE IT UNTIL RESOLVED!!!

• The low volume problem started again tonight!  I have an Android cell, casting Spotify through Chromecast.  Anyone else having the problem again?

Reconnected to Chromecast and volume problem corrected itself.  Very finicky!

No issues on my end so far,

volume level remains the same on either Chromecast Streaming or via Spotify Connect,... Cheers...

The issue started happening to me again yesterday.  Same as before, extremely low volume when casting.

Is it happening to anyone else again?

I can confirm that the volume is too low again. 

Just tested it today, same problem again,... Low Volume when casting,

will send Google an email about it...

I confirm, I'm also having problem again with low volume when casting Spotify on Chromecast.  This is getting very irritating!

Suggested posts