Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9+, Chromecast Gen 3

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Noticed today that volume when casting to Chromecast is significantly lower than normal. I've reinstalled the Spotify app and did a factory reset on the Chromecast itself, but that didn't resolve the problem.  Volume is like normal on all other apps I can cast with and there doesn't seem to be a problem with my system.

Is anyone else having this problem?

85 Replies

Hi, have you tried to stop the music by voice command and then to cast again. In my cases this always results in lower volume. Thx.

Hi all

This is an ongoing issue casting from the app to chromecast. 

Until as it's fixed, i've found a workaround...

Open up using a computer on Chrome browser.

1. open.spotify.com

2. Sign into your premium account

3. Click on cast option directly from Chrome browser to your receiver/device

4. Full volume is restored

5. Once connected, you can close down the browser and operate your Spotify via the app as normal. 

Note, if you change the device on the app and go back to casting from your app, the volume will go quiet again. 

cheers

So in a nutshell:
1. Casting from Chrome browser works always good
2. Casting from mobile app never works good (except the workaround posted above)
3. Casting via voice command (Google home speaker) is a hit and miss. Does not matter if destination is a Chromecast dongle or the speaker itself. 

What a mess!

Meanwhile my play music subscription is canceled so I cannot use it for any tests. I discovered that Google's new YouTube music can also be used for free to a good degree, and this also has no volume issues so far. Interestingly Spotify is the only one not using mp3 but vorbis which has some normalization features. Wonder if that could cause issues on client side.

@kevo69za: This workaround does not work for me 😞

I am quite fed up with Spotify by now. In 2015 I bought a Pioneer SC1224 receiver with Spotify Connect. In 2018 Spotify changed their servers in a non-backward-compatible way, so that my Spotify Connect on my Pioneer does not work anymore. I therefore bought a Chromecast, which worked fine for some time, but now we have the problem discussed here, for months now and I have nowhere seen a reaction from Spotify that it acknowledges the problem, let alone that they have indicated if and/or how they (or Google) will solve this issue. I now have a trial subscription on Qobuz. That works fine with CC. I guess I will switch to them at the end of the trial period.
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this issue so far.

If you're still experiencing a low volume output on your Chromecast products, we recommend you head to this Ongoing Issue to add your + VOTE and make sure to leave all the relevant information, so that the right folks can get to the bottom of this.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

Suggested posts