Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music in my car

Solved!

Music in my car

Dear Support, I do have a premium account, and I am addicted to music. My car (2011 VOLVO V50) has a top notch audio system, with a USB connector. I would really love to be able to "download" my music to a USB Dongle and enjoy my playlists while driving. I do also have an AUX plug, but it is SO NOT convenient to change track and so on. Any idea ?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify's streaming music can't be exported outside the Spotify system. There is a good reason for this. Spotify supports the music industry by passing on the majority of its income (from ads and subscriptions) to the rights holders who are responsible for creating the music. Rights holders are paid in relation to how much their music is played. Even offline plays are recorded when you go back online again.

This system can only work when there is a Spotify app to manage the music, keeping it "in the system". If it were possible to export music, this would mean that the people who created the music wouldn't get any further income when it is enjoyed.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify's streaming music can't be exported outside the Spotify system. There is a good reason for this. Spotify supports the music industry by passing on the majority of its income (from ads and subscriptions) to the rights holders who are responsible for creating the music. Rights holders are paid in relation to how much their music is played. Even offline plays are recorded when you go back online again.

This system can only work when there is a Spotify app to manage the music, keeping it "in the system". If it were possible to export music, this would mean that the people who created the music wouldn't get any further income when it is enjoyed.

Thanks you Jude.

This reply does not contain the solution I wished for, but the answer is very clear and understandable.

For this I thank you 🙂

In my car, I've a bluetooth connection and I can change to next track over the car audio interface.

Spotify is just great ! (but I'm still missing a family account to be able to listen to music at the same time in the car and my wife at home)....

In your volvo you can listen spotify when you have an iphone (or ipad) connected with the USB interface. I only cant get it to work with the previous/next buttons. It will go to the musicplayer of iphone when you try.

1. Turn on iphone

2. select spotify

3. hook up the USB

4. Select USB in your radio console

5. Enjoy the music 🙂

You can make the playlist you want to listen to offline available, if bandwith is an issue in the car

Thanks gedysan,

I got the USB plug indeed, but my phone is Android based 😞 

And my car does not seems to recognize the phone :'(

I might try with my iPad tough. Thanks

Are you able to play songs/playlists continuously through the usb? When i have it plugged in via usb it will play one song on spotify then switch back to iphone music app. I'm thinking of completely removing all music from iphone as spotify is my main music player, the iphone music is for songs/albums not on spotify or if i hit a bad cell area. Thank you!

No my car simply does not "see" my phone when I plug it to the USB.

The car says USB Device unreadable 😞

With Apple device it works...

I wonder if there is no Android App to "emulate" the iSomething USB plug.

On iPhone 5 with USB on 2011 V50 plays only 10secs then music stops. Whats wrong?

I tried this many times and it would show on the screen "this media cannot be used". my music library works though. any help?

I don't know... I now have a 2013 BMW 3 series and Spotify integration is non existant as well :'(

If you have an android device, you can only stream through a bluetooth or aux connection, not USB I'm afraid.

I have an Audi a4 and also "HAD" a premium account but like many others cannot play my music VIA Spotify downloads on my Galaxy 3 throught my MMI system..

My Question why is this the case and is it likely to change soon as I would happily resubscribe for the service, however in the meantime it looks like its the old IPOD doing its rounds

Kind Regards

Krazzy

Suggested posts