Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My Chromecast TV doesn't show up on my laptop, only on my phone

My Chromecast TV doesn't show up on my laptop, only on my phone

I just got a new Chromecast TV and the device doesn't show up on my Spotify app on my Macbook. They're both connected to the same wifi and my TV only shows up on my iPhone.

If I play it from my phone, only THEN it shows up as a device on my laptop. How do I get it to show up on my laptop automatically?

3 Replies

Looks like from other threads, this is a known shortcoming of the desktop app. (Found a post from 2017 discussing this.)

What's not clear to me is why this is still an issue some three years later. Why is the desktop app not able to see cast-able devices on the network when the mobile app can? Doesn't make much sense to me. Would love to get an official response from Spotify on whether this feature is being worked on.

For now, the only workaround is either (a) start the music on your mobile, play it on the Chromecast device, and then manage the music through the desktop app, or (b) start the music in a web player tab, cast the tab to the Chromecast device, and manage the music through either the web app or the desktop app.

Definitely not ideal.

Hey @chantel_le  @fronc 

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you!

Suggested posts