Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

New Metal Tracks **Still** Not Updating Properly

Highlighted
6 people liked this

New Metal Tracks **Still** Not Updating Properly

benjohnson2010
Music Fan

The New Metal Tracks playlist has been malfunctioning now for at least a month or so. New tracks - if they're added - do not appear in any logical order; half the time there's only one or two new tracks added (again, if we're lucky) while the rest of my playlists (Release Radar, for example) and some of those I'm not following do not suffering from the same neglect. This has already been brought up in a previous thread:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/001/page/1/thread-id/186089

No resolution was reached. In fact, the only contact from anyone affiliated with Spotify was the original from MattSuda at the top of the thread.

My Home screen has become increasingly cluttered with music and playlists in which I have no interest, despite much ado about "taste, data, research, and trends." Speaking of, allow me to direct your attention to Spotify's own research highlighting which genre has the most loyal listeners:

https://insights.spotify.com/us/2015/04/02/loyalest-music-fans-by-genre/

As one of those loyal listeners, and a Premium member for years now, I'm disappointed that this playlist and this genre doesn't seem to matter all that much to the Spotify team. Before the outright neglect that's been reported for weeks now, several songs appeared on the playlist that had no business there, like Nickelback's "Feed the Machine." You don't have to be a metal elitist to listen to that song and identify which genre it belongs to, or at least which genre it doesn't. And if its inclusion was a result of "trends" and the automatic mechanisms thereby hinted at, I can only restate how much disregard and apathy that implies toward the playlist and the genre as a whole (a genre that, you will recall, represents one of Spotify's most loyal demographics).

So with all that in mind, I look forward to Spotify correcting this issue. Or - at the very least - posting an explanation in the interim while a solution is reached.

Thank you.

37 Replies
1 person liked this

Re: New Metal Tracks **Still** Not Updating Properly

myceliom
Music Fan

Thanks, Ben.

Lets see if we hear any news.

mach1617
Casual Listener

Come on, Spotify. A lot of people are flagging this as an issue. Just asking for it to be as good as it was just a few weeks ago.

Theyturkerjurbs
Casual Listener
Wonderful post, hope something comes of this!!!
1 person liked this

danth45
Music Fan

I posted this on another post too 

""I use to look forward to Friday's and getting to listen to new tracks and new albums that came out on the "New Metal Tracks" playlist, but for some reason recently you have changed it so that we don't get any new releases, making the name of the playlist not make sense.

It was the best way to discover new bands and new albums, what happened to just uploading the "new metal tracks" to the "new metal tracks" playlist, why does it look like this now just old stuff that’s been on for weeks now, some of them months, just go back to what you were doing before, uploading new tracks to the start of the playlist and the ones from last week below it, easy to see whats new and what was last weeks playlist.""

I will add a screen shot of todays results too later when they update the playlist.

1 person liked this

ingejanse
Roadie

For the sake of convenience/satan: what playlist does anyone recommend to stay up to date with new metal releases (assuming that Spotify won't fix this problem and keep posting the same horrible emocore tracks for underaged drama queens)? Preferably one that contains single tracks from new albums, including singles. Any suggestion is much appreciated!

3 people liked this

danth45
Music Fan

Honestly not that much now, the best way to keep upto date is follow things on facebook if you use it, like bands, magazines and record labels, but that kinda limits you to not really hearing new stuff unless they mention it in the magazine, ive had some luck with new releases on bandcamp, seem to be switching to bandcamp more now that this playlist thing has happened but you have to look around for stuff and you cant make playlists just browse and buy albums.

things I follow to get some idea of things coming out

http://www.metalinjection.net/category/upcoming-releases/weekly-injection

Heavy or obscure things Trever from Black Dahlia Murder does a amazing blog 

http://www.metalinjection.net/category/editorials/the-obituarist

2 people liked this

danth45
Music Fan

And here we are, last weeks "New Metal Tracks" playlist compared to this weeks, don't know how good the quality will be on here but thats a total of 3 new tracks on the new track playlist ..... spotify I give up this is just lazy as fck

wtf shot.jpg
1 person liked this

myceliom
Music Fan

Useless isnt it. I think its just obviously fallen down their list of priorities which is a huge shame, because as someone mentioned in an earlier post, metal fans are big users of Spotify.

1 person liked this

benjohnson2010
Music Fan

I've gotten another "we'll let the developers know" response (on Twitter):

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/871744368587268096

Kindly jump in there and reply/rewteet/keep the pressure up (respectfully, as always) until they actually get this resolved. I work in IT and if I took more than a month to fix a problem that multiple users had brought to my attention multiple times (with no updates on my progress in the interim), I might be looking for a new job. So, at this point, either the playlist is actually broken and they just haven't bothered to fix it or they don't care enough about it to maintain it properly. Neither is acceptable.

P.S. My offer to manage the playlist myself or otherwise "be the change" still stands, Spotify. ;-)

SUGGESTED POSTS