Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No audio on Apple TV 4K with HomePod(s) Connected

Solved!

No audio on Apple TV 4K with HomePod(s) Connected

If you have the Apple TV 4K connected to HomePod(s) as the audio output source, no sound will play when using the Spotify Apple TV app. The progress meter will go up by no sound comes out.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14.2

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Audio won’t play when HomePods are connected to AppleTV 4K. 

• TV

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the exact same issue with my apple tv 4k and 2 homepods

I did a full reset on the ATV4K (delete all and re-installed 14.3 tvOS software) and this fixed issue.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hi there @Spaceboy88,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We'd like to look into this further, so we'd need a bit more info:

• Does this happen only when the HomePods are connected to your TV, or when you're playing music only from the TV as well?
  • Have you checked if all your devices are running the latest firmware?
  • Did this start happening only recently?
  • Have you tried reinstalling the Spotify App on your TV?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Responses below:

• Does this happen only when the HomePods are connected to your TV, or when you're playing music only from the TV as well? -- If I connect my phone or iPad to the HomePods, the music plays fine. It only happens if I try to play music from the Spotify Apple TV app. If the Apple TV's sound output it set to the TV speakers, then the music plays fine, however as soon as the Apple TV speaker output it set to the HomePods, the audio will not play (but the progress meter on the song continues, so I know it's not paused or anything.
  • Have you checked if all your devices are running the latest firmware? Yes they are
  • Did this start happening only recently? - Apple's new software update that enables HomePods to be set as a "home theater" default output setting just came out a couple weeks back. I installed the Spotify app on Apple TV at this time, and the issue has been like this since day 1 for me. I can't speak to how it performed with HomePod as the audio output setting prior to the software update as I didn't use it on Apple TV then.
  • Have you tried reinstalling the Spotify App on your TV? - Yes, it didn't fix it.

I have the same problem. Apple TV 4K 14.2, 2 HomePod on 14.2 and the latest version of Spotify. Still, the audio doesn't come out on the HomePods.

Hi again folks,

A thing you could try is running a factory reset on the HomePods and your Apple TV. This often solves issues whenever new firmware is introduced to a system.

Restarting your router or connecting to another network (You can create a mobile hotspot if your data plan allows it) would also be helpful, as it will show if it's a connection issue or something related directly to the app.

As this feature is fairly new the connection between devices may still not function properly with all apps. Have you tried running other streaming services like YoutTube?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

None of these suggestions have fixed the issue. I did a factory reset on both HomePods and my Apple TV. I restarted the router as well and no luck.

Every other app on my Apple TV works perfectly in sending the audio out to the HomePods. YouTube, Fubo TV, Netflix,  Hulu, Prime Video, Apple Music, etc..

This is 100% an issue with the Spotify Apple TV app; I'm convinced of it.

Hi there @Spaceboy88,

Thanks for all the info you've provided.

We've reported this to the right team and they are going to look into it.

We'll keep you up to date with any developments 🙂

Meanwhile don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

An update would be appreciated, running into the same issue now, and I’m sure you’re going to have more and more people angry as 2 homepods and an appletv 4K is one of the cheapest ways to get into Dolby Atmos.  Glad you had time to add stories though.  I’ll just be here in silence.

I just got 2 new homepods for my apple tv, and since then I haven’t been able to playback from the Apple tv Spotify app. Airplay 2 works like a charm, but same problem when I want the Apple tv Spotify app to drive the playback.

Please please, do update on that... because this is a big reason to move to apple one if doesn’t get resolved soon... 😢

Hey @robertovg24 and @jfclifford,

Thanks for posting.

We're aware of the behavior and have created this Ongoing Issue about it. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this is useful, but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator

Just to be clear... I need to vote to get functionality promised by the app?

I have exactly the same issue, can you please tell us how to fix it or when you will be able to fix it please. It's quite annoying, with a brand new Apple TV 4K and homepods that Spotify can't be played properly ?! Please can a moderator answer the question ?

Hi there @TheSiward,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We've informed the right team about this issue and they're working on a fix. Head over to the Ongoing Issue thread and subscribe to get notified of any developments on the matter.

We can't give you a specific timeframe for when or if this will be resolved at the moment.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

This workaround does it reproducible on

ATV 4K tvOS 14.3 (18K561)

Video and Audio Settings default audio set to:

HomePods stereo pair with sw. 14.2.1

Start Spotify App

play what ever you want

we hear: -Silence- but song progress is shown

press Play/Pause button on the ATV Remote(hardware or app) once

press Play/Pause button on the ATV Remote(hardware or app) second time

freak out, enjoy and wonder what is the problem to fix that...

Come on Spotify!

Hey there @Kklauss,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

As @Alex mentioned - there's an ongoing issue about this. You can find it here. Leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
Marked as solution

I had the exact same issue with my apple tv 4k and 2 homepods

I did a full reset on the ATV4K (delete all and re-installed 14.3 tvOS software) and this fixed issue.

a full Apple tv reset ... fix the same issue for me... with my 2 homepods

Maybe, but most likely the 1.16.3 Spotify app release from Dec 16 fixed this. Because I did exactly nothing on my setup and it works too since few days. And: oh wonder, even if default audio is not set to Homepod, just using Airplay it works fine now.

I had no patience to reset, reconfigure, re-authenticate all the other working accounts and apps because of this one.

ps to mods: I clicked thousands of very poor quality fire-hydrants, busses, cars, xxx-cycles, traffic-lights, crosswalks, bridges, boats, and whatever for posting here. Really?

Never-mind, long lasting story finally comes to a good end.

Hey @Kklauss

Thanks for getting back. 

Great news that the update solved this for you. Give us a shout if you experience this again - we're always here to help.

Еnjoy your music! 

Suggested posts