Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No sound on web player

Solved!

No sound on web player

With the new web player, I can select a track, and the progress bar moves, but there is no sound. I have checked that (a) the browser tab is not muted (b) the volume control in the web player is up (c) the volume control in Windows is up (d) I can get sound on Youtube videos and other streams.

Using Spotify Web Player with both Firefox and Chrome on Win10 64-bit system.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, I think I solved this. It looks like the new web player only works if you are not logged in on any other device. I always kept the old web player logged in on multiple desktops, and there was only a problem when another one was actively playing. With the new web player, I was not actively playing anywhere else, but the player here started working when I logged off the other desktop.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I was having this problem, tried all the solutions and started getting super frustrated, when I clicked on the "Listening On" icon by the volume mixer. 

Apparently, it was automatically selecting the Web Player in Chrome, where no sound was playing, but when I switched it to "this browser", it suddenly worked.

Slightly annoyed that out of all the "solutions" people post, nobody has ever suggested that the web app itself might be doing something dumb. I've attached a screenshot of the culprit

View solution in original post

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 2.47.09 PM (3).png
12 Replies
Marked as solution

Okay, I think I solved this. It looks like the new web player only works if you are not logged in on any other device. I always kept the old web player logged in on multiple desktops, and there was only a problem when another one was actively playing. With the new web player, I was not actively playing anywhere else, but the player here started working when I logged off the other desktop.

This seems to be a problem again. Spotify was working fine and now no audio on the web player at least not on my chrome book. I've tried everything with the speaker/toggle on the web player and my computer gets sound on other applications (youtube, etc).

Unfortunately this has happened with me. All other websites play audio as intended except for spotify. Even the player doesn't work.  I have tried this in Firefox, Edge and Chrome. Even after completely signing out on all devices.  Any help would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Same issues.  Have had the issue for months.  I don't get any sound out of the webplayer in Firefox.  Oddly, I can get it to work if I have Firefox and Chrome both open to the spotify web player and play through connected devices (even though it's just my computer and no other device).  It's frustrating as **bleep**, I have basically stopped using spotify because the web player does not work.  I am hoping it might be fixed with Firefox's new photon launch in November, but if it's a spotify issue then I guess I'll find another sevice.

Same problem! But i found out that a second free account works great. Its just a problem with my first account.

It´s possible to contact spotify directly so that they look what went wrong there?

This might help, it did with me. On another page of this forum there's a useful extension/add-on called Agent-Switcher for both Firefox and Chrome.  I installed Agent Switcher and it solved the problem. Spotify continues to work fine even though I've now uninstalled Agent Switcher.

Hope this helped.

Marked as solution

I was having this problem, tried all the solutions and started getting super frustrated, when I clicked on the "Listening On" icon by the volume mixer. 

Apparently, it was automatically selecting the Web Player in Chrome, where no sound was playing, but when I switched it to "this browser", it suddenly worked.

Slightly annoyed that out of all the "solutions" people post, nobody has ever suggested that the web app itself might be doing something dumb. I've attached a screenshot of the culprit

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 2.47.09 PM (3).png

This looks like a better solution than mine, though mine still always works for me. It is possible that there are multiple causes/solutions to a problem. But yours is easier, and I hope it continues to work.

Thanks!

This happens to me occasionally, and usually causes me a lot of confusion and frustration before I figure it out again. I agree with you this is a pretty bad design flaw—far from the only one—in the new Spotify Web player.

That's what I mean, I have to have two browsers open and then use that setting to get it to play. Kind of annoying because I don't want to browsers open just to listen to music.

Just an extra thing for people. You cannot change what device you are listening to on your web browser, however if you open the app on your phone you can change it by choosing 'web player (chrome)'. 

Hope this helps.

Having this same problem. Not worth trying to fix.

Guess my short term spotify experiement is a failure.

What a stupid design.

Suggested posts