Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No video only sound Joe Rogan Podcast Chromecast

No video only sound Joe Rogan Podcast Chromecast

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Samsung galaxy S10+ / Chromecast Ultra

My Question or Issue

When i stream de JRE from my phone to chromecast i only get audio, no video. If i'm only using my phone i get video.

96 Replies

Just signed back up to Spotify and have the following issues: I have an Android Smart TV and downloaded the Spotify app from the google play store using my TV.

When I go to the Joe Rogan Experience official podcast I get the following: I only get 26 episodes, all very old, and the newest one dated May 19 is titled - Joe Rogan is coming to Spotify. I know it is the right channel I am viewing because I followed it from my Spotify account using my laptop. Talking about laptops....If I access Spotify using my browser I can view all episodes including new ones but it will not play any of them. I have tried switching off browser extensions and VPN ( although never had a problem running through a VPN on tablet with Spotify for years) still nothing. I am using Linux on all my machines and had intended to use the Spotify Linux app. When I use the app rather than the browser to watch JRE, not only doesn't it play but all the new episodes are not even available. Very strange. Music is playing fine using Linux app and tV. However I was intending ( as I currently do with the Youtube app on my TV ) to watch the JRE podcast on my TV. Hope you get it sorted before December when it will only be available on Spotify.

I have a Android TV with the Spotify app from the Google Play Store. When you use the official app and visit the JRE official channel, you are presented with 26 old episodes in total and none of them play. It's not just casting that's the problem. Also does not work using the official spotify app for linux, or in a browser using Linux.

Toshiba Android TV = NO JRE

The official app for Android TV does not work either. Complete joke. Ill just go back to Qobuz to listen to music, The worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res music streaming, and pirate the JRE show if I must. The only reason I came back and signed up for a paid subscription was for the podcast.

Have the same issue. Have a samsung galaxy s9

And I have a smartcast VIZIO V SERIES 50'' tv (with chromecast OS)

I really don't need to type firmware versions of anything. I have spotify up-to-date. My phone is always up to date. TV is up to date.

Just get your engineers to make an easy to access casting function on the UI in the app, and to roll it out on Chromecast OS.

Youtube is ahead of its game by a longshot. Get your act together. This is a $42 billion valuated company. 

I’m having the same issue I can play it on my phone and see the video and audio but when I stream it to my TV I only get audio this I would think he would want to fix pretty quick being that a lot of people watch Joe Rogan on YouTube

There is no video on my Xbox or roku stick.  Audio only is a waste of time and inferior to YouTube... so I will continue to use YouTube and check back every so often.  I will have no use for Spotify When December rolls around and that is no longer an option.

This due to DRM block. Same reason you cannot connect your phone to your tv and use a video app like netflix.

I can’t watch JRE on Spotify on my tv.
I can watch JRE on YouTube on my tv.

This is a problem that Spotify needs to fix. I don’t understand how digital rights management could be the cause of that, or care frankly.

May not care, but it's not really a technical problem. This is a problem that Spotify probably will not fix. Unless they figure out a way to allow only JRE or video podcasts while still protecting music from copyright. They have until December when exclusive deal starts. After that it will be a big problem for JRE fans.

I’m so **bleep** off about this I just said that! JRE will definitely lose fans and so will Spotify. This will force us to pirate it. So good luck with DRM Spotify!

Exactly. That's the case in a nutshell. Its NOT just a chromecast issue. Jesus .... how is it possible Spotify is not on top of this. This reminds me of the Google Stadia launch failure.

No video on my Roku TV either.

THERE IS ZERO coincidence that Spotify leadership is allowing lowly whiny millennials complain about content, allowing censoring of JRE and forcing him to apologize over minor things he’s heard/repeated from the mainstream news, HE IS NOT A NEWS REPORTER, he does not need to redact minor things he interpreted incorrectly and he REGULARLY changes his opinion on major topics LIVE ON the show when he gets updated access to correct information or accurate sources. THE WHOLE POINT of the podcast is to have open forum, LONG FORM discuss of ideas (whether they are wrong or right - there’s always gray area that everyone else is afraid to touch on) that’s what makes JRE #1 IN THE WORLD. I came to Spotify SPECIFICALLY for this... I ALREADY have premium music subscriptions to amazon and YouTube... I REALLY don’t need more access to premium music. I work for tech companies... if we don’t fix MAJOR issues like this IMMEDIATELY we lose customers IMMEDIATELY.
THE PROMISES MADE IN THE PROMO VIDEO SPOTIFY HAD JOE READ ON AIR ARE NOT BEING ADHERED TO AT ALL... I’m in my free trial period and FULLY INTENDED for this to be another premium subscription I would be paying monthly, I’d been planning on it for months but if this is how things are starting off then I FULLY EXPECT A MASS EXODUS BECAUSE THEY ARE CLEARLY REFUSING TO FIX THESE (EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE MAJOR ISSUES THAT I’ve seen listed in MULTIPLE threads ARE NOT DIFFICULT THINGS TO FIX ON A PLATFORM THAT WAS BUILT FOR THIS). I’m not asking for anyone’s feedback or telling anyone what to do but when the most powerful podcaster in the world is forced to apologize ON AIR BY SCRIPT *AND* none of his content is working then there is no doubt in my mind that it’s because of internal politics. Read the news stories about it. I hope JRE has a back out clause in his contract because I will be cancelling my free trial before it bills me if it’s not fixed by then! JRE IS #1 IN THE WORLD FOR A REASON - DON’T TRY TO CHANGE THAT BECAUSE OF THE GRUMBLING OF A FEW WOKE LITTLE CHILDREN WHO CAN’T HANDLE NEW IDEAS AND HAVE NEVER BEEN TOLD “NO” or “DO YOUR JOB AS IS STATED OR YOU’RE FIRED!” You can’t create safe spaces in the real world people!

I have the same issue, but it won't even show video on my phone when my Bluetooth is connected to anything.  External speaker,  car radio etc.  Then when I disconnect it still will not show video until I completely shut down the app, wipe the cache and restart.

If I connect my phone to ANY device,  external speaker, car audio, Bluetooth headphones etc. It will not show video on the joe rogan podcast.  Only audio. I have to shut down the app, disable Bluetooth, wipe the cache and restart to get video again.   I've deleted and re-downloaded the app. Still the same issue.     I'm using a galaxy S20 ultra 5g.   This happens on wifi or cellular. 

Well, Spotify is officially turned to DRM BS. You have failed us JRE listeners. Fix it or you will lose many listeners not viewers because now no one is going to watch a three hour podcast on their phone or even iPad. Thanks for nothing and you won’t get a dime from me till it’s fixed or I’ll have to use my tech skills and get it with no money to you, Spotify!

Horrible oversight. I'm canceling now because I only got spotify to watch JRE from the comfort of my couch and smart tv.

I can't imagine why there would be a debate within the development team about whether to add this functionality or not. 

When I'm on the spotify app there is a video playing. When I cast it there's only audio. Seems like a pretty significant development & programming oversight to me.

Please add as soon as possible! Thanks

Credit due when credit is deserved.

Watching JRE via Chromecast as I type this. Good work @Spotify!

This issue is solved! 😊

Suggested posts