Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

PIONEER N-50A

Re: PIONEER N-50A

schmidji19
Roadie

I just notice Pioneer simply modified their N-50A web site where you no longer can see that this product supports Spotify Connect: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/node/199. That is a very recent change. They really take us for stupid?

I got an answer in the meantime by my reseller which also waits on a clear statement from Pioneer so he finally knows what he can do for me. Since my machine still is under guarantee I may get the more recent one N-50AE but that remains totally open yet. And you folks any updates?

Max_H1
Casual Listener

@schmidji19: I'm living in Austria. Hope for you that you get the upgrade from Pioneer. My warranty expired 2 weeks ago. LOL

Today I got an answer from Spotify, here is an excerpt [translated]: "As we want to improve the overall experience with Spotify, the app will not be available on Pioneer speakers in the future. [...]

Therefore, we believe your listening experience will be even better."

Spotify, are you kidding me? Is this supposed to be irony? How is you taking a **bleep** on your customers going to enhance the listening experience?

Max_H1
Casual Listener

Last year Pioneer released a firmware update for some of their devices enabling "Chrome Cast built-in", which is also supported by Spotify, I understand. For example the N30AE. Unfortunately not for the N50A, as it is too old apparently.

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/blog/pioneer-announce-firmware-update-enabling-chromecast-built...

schmidji19
Roadie

Yep the suffixed AE versions are new hardware platform as I understood from Pioneer support so far. It looks like the A versions use the same hardware platform as the former "no suffix" versions like the N-50 I also had before - just AD converters changed and the display. I understood this from N-50A schematics I found and also Pioneer support.

For my case it looks like I simply will get a N-50AE as guarantee exchange for free: give back N-50A and get the newer N-50AE since its treated as a guarantee case. I live in Switzerland and here guarantee must last by law 2 years - so all Swiss folks you're informed now. For other countries try at least to get the more recent version as I did. Good luck and I keep you posted how it worked out for me at the end.

schmidji19
Roadie

I confirm that for Switzerland at least you can get a replacement machine being more recent if your actual machine still is under guarantee. I will get a N-50AE as replacement of the N-50A - give back the old, get the new.

Perhaps I already said it here but the N-50A is based on the same hardware generation as the N-50 just with different converters and a bigger screen but the MCU and OS seem to be very close to the N-50. I understood this from Pioneer support. Means the N-50AE relies on a totally new HW generation and also brings more recent ESS D/A converters still being listed (9016S and no longer the obsolete 9011 ones).

That let me think we simply were not very chanceful since the A versions were an intermediate product kind of a test run prior bringing out the AE version that more looks like a major than a minor version.

Again please check with your reseller / importer and if your machine still is under guanrantee - if so there is no reason they don't change your machine but this depends on laws and countries you live so simply try.

schmidji19
Roadie

Morning and hello all. I finally got a replacement machine for free: the N-50AE. Aside the fact I am of course very happy on how my case finishes I simply wanted to share this here: the AE version indeed seems to be a completely reengineered harwdware platform and despite it looks like very similar to the A version it's completely different in how it functions and also the Androir app is of a new kind where all works much more smoother and really all works here no hassle no fuss.

So from a product point of view I am very happy with the AE that also includes the excellent sound quality of the DA converters being built-in so you cannot go wrong for this. At the end what I learned is Pioneer handles this EOL of the A version very badly and Spotify was not perfect as well. I say this since I am supposed to receive emails and newsletters from both but never did so hence never was informed of this kind of shutdown and that creates huge frustrations.

For all you others out there I hope you get a solution as well and this applies not only to Pioneer but any brand or kind of device you may have. My advise: ask kindly and remain objective in your arguments both your reseller importer or the brand directly. Generally if well formulated that can help. Good luck and thanks for following here.

laurentdew
Casual Listener

Hi

I hope getting same solution with my little Pioneer N-P01 :-)

schmidji19
Roadie

Mmmh the N-P01 is on the same page as the N-50AE and hence not discontinued believing how Pioneer organizes the pages. You say you lost Spotify Connect support wheras prior this was working? I notices Pioneer started to change the web pages on their site for instance in the archive section dixit my former N-50A I had: there Spotify Connect support and suchs simply disappeared very discretely. As said: I don't like the way Pioneer handles this EOL and communicates on this in front of its users we are.

Last thing I didn't stress enough: your guarantee must still be applicable otherwise there is no chance anybody wants to discuss. In my case I just bought my N-50A so it was clearly a guarantee case. Good luck.

schmidji19
Roadie

Just got an asnwer from Pioneer ticket. The A versions are all discontinued for Spotify, same goes unfortunately also for the N-P01 :(

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/de/blog/verf%C3%BCgbarkeit-von-spotify-auf-bestimmten-pioneer-ger%...

Sorry for you folks.

To properly close this I keep asking Pioneer what EXACTLY made them doing this, I want and need a clear and honest explanation - I guess must be some new chips having been needed (especially  to improve cryptographically protection of all content being streamed over to those devices).

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

At least good news, after all the negative reports.
In my case, besides the equipment has completed 3 years, I bought / imported direct from Amazon DE and Pioneer does not give warranty for this line in Brazil.

SUGGESTED POSTS