Plan

Premium

Country United Kingdom

Device

PS4 Pro, Denon X4400H, KEF R900/300

Operating System

PS4 Pro

My Question or Issue
I have been a Premium customer for 3 years and my experience so far using Spotify connect via a Denon AVR X4400H has been excellent.. However that said I have struggled to get a decent sound from my PS4 Pro using Spotify played through the AVR.
The Spotify user interface on the PS4 Pro is amazing but the sound is flat and uninspiring and a big let down.
I have spent hours trying to find a setting suitable and tried both Optical (Dolby Bitstream) and HDMI (7CH) inputs and both have a flat compressed sound compared to when streaming directly to the AVR via airplay or Spotify connect.
I would much rather use the PS4 method of playback but the poor sound given the processing power of the console is a major let down.
How do I workaround this problem and continue to use the PS4?

3 Replies

Hey @cpubasher.

Thanks for getting in touch!

The PlayStation has Volume Normalization switched on by default. If you prefer an uncompressed audio output, we recommend using your mobile device with Spotify Connect to stream music.

Hope this answers your question. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Thank you for the reply.

Is their anyway in a future update Spotify can add a settings menu to the PS4 app so that the “normalisation setting” can be switched off and bitrate settings be selected like in the iOS version?

I know I can stream Spotify direct from a mobile device to my AVR and Get better sound quality but the artwork resolution is very low quality and you can’t interact with  the menu, whereas the PS4 artwork is high def and a much better screen display albeit a flat and compressed sound.

Politics aside what your saying is Sony control the quality of the Spotify stream on the PS4 and you don’t, whereas other platforms you can.

Hey @cpubasher.

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're always looking to improve the integration of Spotify. The best place to leave your feedback is in the Ideas Exchange. We're constantly implementing popular ideas that the users want so feel free to post an idea to have an option to enable/disable Volume Normalization on a PlayStation.

We're looking forward to your idea. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts