[PS4] poor audio quality

Re: [PS4] poor audio quality

Looukas
Gig Goer

The app has been updated recently, no change on the quality whatsoever i.e. still significantly lower even than mobile "normal".

butaca
Regular
Guys, it's obvious the bitrate in PS4 is extremely low and hardcoded. Even with the worst speakers you can notice this. No need for a high end system. I don't know what is the most worrying: that Spotify launched the PS4 app with a fixed crappy quality even for premiums users or the fact that the sound quality is in discussion here.

wickedcampaign

I created an account here to bump this.  I would like acknowledgement from spotify that this is an issue on the ps4 that they are working on or at least have a plan to fix.

If no ack, then please acknowledge that premium users using the ps4 spotify app are not able to get the sound quality they paid for.  As many users have noted there is notable sibilance on many recording due to the poor streaming quailty.  

Please let me know how to open a feature request for this issue if necessary.  I love the spotify connect integration but it is useless on ps4 with such low quality audio output.

Highlighted

Looukas
Gig Goer

They are too busy making fancy video advertising for the service. I hope the issue will eventually get acknowleded soon as it could easily be a lawsuit cause for certain people. I mean they explicitly encourage you to pay for nothing.

Angelheart

Hi everyone,

I've also created an account to support your query.

Indeed, sound quality on PS4 is really poor when compared to PS3 or any other mediaplayer.

The problem with PS4 sound is poor bass, and agressive upper frequency range. In fact, seems like this is not the sound premium users are used to. No problem whatsoever on PS3 : the sound is full, non-agressive.

Just a hint : does this have to do with sound parameters on PS3 (you can choose -2 to +2) ? But I think it applies only for PS3 internal music player.

@Spotify : could you please communicate on this and clarify the question ?

Bon-Bon
Regular

It isn't Spotify, it is the PS4, Guitar Hero Live sounds terrible too, even if you use a toslink to a DAC, I'm sure it is a problem with the PS4 hardware or firmware.

RussBird
Casual Listener
Think I am suffering from the same issue.

My system used:

PS4 set to HDMI & PCM
Into
Sony HT-AS5 with multi channel input
Into 5.1

This is working well. Good quality surround sound from Blu rays, Netflixs, games.

If you go to Spotify it will only play music out front 2 speakers. Nothing comes out of rear speakers.

I can get music to play out of rear speakers but I have to change:
PS4 optical output with PCM
However...
This massively reduces quality of games and film surround sound.

Why can't the app just realise you are playing over 5.1 and therefore play stereo over 5 speakers?

Anyone know a solution?

Spotify, is a fix on the cards?

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular

How is the PS4 supposed to output 2.0(music) and movie or gaming sound tracks(5.1) at the same time?

RussBird
Casual Listener
The way I saw this working was the PS4 would output the 2.0 music in a 5.1 state. I don't mean literally 5(6) channels. What I mean is stereo, L / R multiplied up to be Lx2 & Rx2. This is opposed to just playing music over 2 of 6 speakers.

The only reason I ask is I have a similar setup in another room in the house with a Marantz AV unit.

In this room, if I stream spotify from an iPhone 6 via airplay the output uses all 7.1 speakers. (This isn't 7.1 different channels, there aren't any on the source). Presumably the iphone isn't streaming 5,1 audio?

Additionally, if I play music from the Apple TV via HDMI or optical the Marantz still outputs to all 7.1 speakers. Again, I am not under the impression Apple TV is streaming the music from a 7.1 source but it does play out of them.

At the heart of this all I am trying to work out is how to get Spotify to send a signal that my AV reciever (Sony HT-AS5) can send to all 5.1 speakers and not just 2 of them without compromising quality of other inputs.

SHADEYMAN-GB
Regular

So your Marantz AV in the other room is doing the coverting, changing the oringinal sources 2.0(stereo) from Spotify on your phone and Apple TV to 5.1 surround.
Spotify on you Apple TV, iPhone and PS4 is 2.0 (Most other devices are 2.0 too) and will probably stay that way as music is created in 2.0 and best listened to in 2.0
So the question is can the PS4 convert the 2.0 supplied by Spotify(and some other apps) into 5.1 and send it plus any 5.1 from games to your 5.1 receiver? The answer is no, at the moment it cannot simultaneously convert 2.0 from certain apps and 5.1 from games. Perhaps a future PS4 firmware update will correct this?

SUGGESTED POSTS