Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

[PS4] poor audio quality

Re: [PS4] poor audio quality

kozzmozz14
Regular

@ Flacorobin

thx for your detailed problem description - maybe there is really a codec-problem in spotify´s soundtrack (or in your hardware?)

@ melican

high-end is more than 30 year my hobby and i heard many 5.1 systems with nice recoprdings (for example Cabasse systems) - but i don`t like it - i am a child of analog and the absolut best sound is still analog - i love my transrotor with gramophone records :o)

@ looukas

maybe you try the following connection:

PS4 HDMI Out to your TV -> from TV analog out per chinch (left/right) to your amp/reciever (in this case you use the internal DA-converter of the TV)

My TV is an Panasonic. I think, the main problem is the DA-converter of many 5.1 reciever. It doesen`t matter whitch PS4 output (HDMI or Optical) is adjusted in the PS4 settings.

- HDMI Out: Linear PCM

- Optical Out: disable Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS / AAC

I tried both settings and the spotify sound is very good.

With an additional cable HDMI TV -> HDMI Amp/Reciever you can switch between HDMI input (PS4 Game/Film) and analog input (Spotify Music). Maybe a solution till spotify will fix the problem ???

kozzmozz14
Regular

@ melican

the phone-app is only a remote control... the PS4 app has own adjustments and you can not change it... - SPOTIFY do something !!!

melican
Regular
Flacorobin, I think you're trying to find a way to add a simulated surround signal to a signal that the PS4 incorrectly thinks is 5.1. I'm not sure if that's going to be easy or possible.

Looukas
Gig Goer

No, this feature only works as a remote control.

In one of the topics, Spotify rep that when using Connect, the PS4 app will use chosen quality according to your settings in the mobile app. [link]

However, it is entirely not true and the PS4 app will always use the same default low quality, no matter premium or not.

MMakerMx
Casual Listener

WHY after all this replies there is NO OFFICIAL ANSWER by Spotify !?

this is NOT a simple problem, is a BIG ONE!!

now i am a 3 months pay user, but i cant enjoy spotify on my ps4, i hate changing to youtube app to listen my music on a decent quality... why the hell they launch this if is not complete !? their business is audio related, and if this sounds like a crap... well, what i am paying for !?

kozzmozz14
Regular

@ looukas

that`s wrong  - the streaming on Spotify PS4 is 320kBit/s !!! And when you use an extrenal DA-converter the PS4 transfer Linear PCM 48 kHz - nearly CD Sound

melican
Regular

For a better comparison, I wish I had an iPhone dock so I could connect my phone to my good stereo.  I guess i could get a mini plug-to-stereo RCA adaptor, but that wouldn't be as accurate.  When I listen to Spotify over my Sonos Play 3 speakers it sounds pretty good, but they are not exactly reference speakers.

I would like to confirm that the problem is with the Spotify app.  Is there a chance that Spotify always sounds this bad but it's not noticeable unless listening to a good stereo?

Looukas
Gig Goer

@kozzmozz14 How exactly did you chek the streaming bitrate?
Numbers don't mean that the source content is of such quality. The PS4 does the converting and outputs desired audio format for your convenience.

Looukas
Gig Goer

Ok I'm just comparing Desktop vs PS3 vs PS4 using both consoles connected via line-in to my PC. I set all the levels to be the same and you can use the Desktop app to remotely control console apps so I can quickly jump between the versions. Desktop and PS3 sound virtually indistinguishable, while the PS4 definitely sounds "sharpened" toward high tones. It's more observable in certain songs while in some it's not that obvious.

Ken-W
Casual Listener

So basically we have a choice: 

1) If we want best quality audio and multichannel support for all the various games/movies on a PS4, we set the PS4 to PCM.

This means Spotify will only send stereo and the amp will not engage LFE speakers, and it sounds like ass.  Even beyond this I have full range fronts so any low frequency should be reproducible by them but still there is nothing received.

2) If we want all speakers engaged (including LFE) we need to set the PS4 to DTS or Dolby output at which point it sends compressed audio that sounds like ass comparatively.

What I want is PCM + full signal + multichannel (even if there is no data on those channels from the Spotify app) or at least full frequency audio on the stereo channels. 

As it stands today I've used the app maybe 4 times and just can't be bothered listening to the crappy audio any more - I'll flip over to my Apple TV and stream music that way. 

SUGGESTED POSTS